Installation - Icon Delta Joint for Total Chaos UCAs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I recently installed the new Delta Joints in my front UCAs. These replace the typical uniballs that Total Chaos designed for their control arms. This new joint is similar to the stock sealed ball joint, but offers more articulation. It has a small grease zerk on the top. You can use the low profile zerk or install a normal bulb zerk - they provide these in the kit. I was impressed with the low profile when they first launched earlier this year, but it was only later that they engineered them to fit the Total Chaos UCAs.

The unboxing. They look pretty amazing. Kit comes with two joints with low profile zerks preinstalled, two nylock nuts, two standard bulb zerks, small tube of grease.
Spindles (19).JPG

My previous setup included the uniballs, a longer bolt with the offset spacers (notice how beat up these spacers are) and employed two nuts - one to jam against the other.
Spindles (18).JPG

Installation is basically the same as the uniballs - remove the retaining clip from the underside, press the old joint out, and press the new joints in. Since the stud sticks out of the joint, you will need to stack a DOM tube spacer in your press in so that the pressure is not on the stud but the body of the joint. Icon sells a $32 special service tool to aid in this process, if you don't have any scrap tube laying around. Then put the snap ring back in to secure the joint.
Spindles (24).JPG

Pictured below is the low profile zerk and the loose standard zerk for comparison.
Spindles (25).JPG

Icon says they have a limited 5 year warranty on these things, but the fine print reveals that it is only valid if you use Icon suspension systems in conjunction with the joint. This specific kit is marketed for use in "other manufacturer UCAs with 1" uniballs", so it doesn't fully qualify for the 5 year warranty.

That being said, I am hoping they last longer than uniballs which I was changing about every 12-18 months. These have a sealed construction and will resist debris contamination much longer than the exposed uniballs with Teflon linings. Uniballs kits run about $155 a pair (more if you replace all the hardware too) and this Icon Delta Joint kit was $280, so if they last for 3 years, then that's a little bit of savings. If they last for 5 then that's a huge savings.

I am interested in how well this is going to hold up and long term usage compared to the uni-balls. How many miles, or trips did you get out of your uni-balls before change out? I do like the fact the Delta joint has a zerk fitting.
Hopefully a report on short term and long term useage.

@BMThiker
What up Rick, this is Josh in ATL. Bet you didn’t realize I was lurking around on these forums. Lol
Anyways, nice write up on the Deltas. I will be installing these soon. Now if I can find some room up at ACC.
Hope all is well, let’s hit up another camping wheeling trip. I haven’t seen you guys since GSMTR!
Also, Sam just moved down the street from us..wanna meet up for some BBQ?!

OK so my question is this. They all say "Upper Control Arms" But the WSSX16 & /WSSX16T fits the Upper and LOWER control arms. I already have the deltas in my ICON UCA's -> But I Want them in my Total Chaos Lower Control Arm Race series. Whats the version to choose? Whats the difference between the different model numbers?

614560 -
2005-UP Toyota Tacoma Non-ICON UCA 1" Retrofit Delta Joint Kit,
2007-UP Toyota Tundra Non-ICON UCA 1" Retrofit Delta Joint Kit

614561 -
2007-UP Toyota FJ Cruiser Non-ICON UCA 1" Retrofit Delta Joint Kit
2003-UP Toyota 4Runner Non-ICON UCA 1" Retrofit Delta Joint Kit
2008-UP Toyota Land Cruiser (200 Series) Non-ICON UCA 1" Retrofit Delta Joint Kit

614564 -
2004-UP Ford F150 Non-ICON UCA 1" Retrofit Delta Joint Kit
2010-UP Ford F150 Raptor Non-ICON UCA 1" Retrofit Delta Joint Kit

They all list

• Replaces all WSSX16, AWX16, WC16, WE16, WSSB16, WR16, ABW16 uniballs with a 2.125" outside diameter and 1" height

So what are the differences between the 3? Is it height of the threaded pin? Angle of the taper? Distance of the taper? Range of Motion? The spec lists the same height of the and diameter...

Which one should I orderer the 05-15 tacoma for the TC Race LCA's?

Final verdict from TC and ICON - the LBJ / LCA taper is much larger than the uppers and nothing in ICONS current Delta Joint lineups even close To it. So we are stuck with the WSSX16T, misalignment spacers, bolts and nuts for now.

NO! ‍♂️

I recently installed the new Delta Joints in my front UCAs. These replace the typical uniballs that Total Chaos designed for their control arms. This new joint is similar to the stock sealed ball joint, but offers more articulation. It has a small grease zerk on the top. You can use the low profile zerk or install a normal bulb zerk - they provide these in the kit. I was impressed with the low profile when they first launched earlier this year, but it was only later that they engineered them to fit the Total Chaos UCAs.

The unboxing. They look pretty amazing. Kit comes with two joints with low profile zerks preinstalled, two nylock nuts, two standard bulb zerks, small tube of grease.
View attachment 1762051
My previous setup included the uniballs, a longer bolt with the offset spacers (notice how beat up these spacers are) and employed two nuts - one to jam against the other.
View attachment 1762050

Installation is basically the same as the uniballs - remove the retaining clip from the underside, press the old joint out, and press the new joints in. Since the stud sticks out of the joint, you will need to stack a DOM tube spacer in your press in so that the pressure is not on the stud but the body of the joint. Icon sells a $32 special service tool to aid in this process, if you don't have any scrap tube laying around. Then put the snap ring back in to secure the joint.
View attachment 1762052

Pictured below is the low profile zerk and the loose standard zerk for comparison.
View attachment 1762053

Icon says they have a limited 5 year warranty on these things, but the fine print reveals that it is only valid if you use Icon suspension systems in conjunction with the joint. This specific kit is marketed for use in "other manufacturer UCAs with 1" uniballs", so it doesn't fully qualify for the 5 year warranty.

That being said, I am hoping they last longer than uniballs which I was changing about every 12-18 months. These have a sealed construction and will resist debris contamination much longer than the exposed uniballs with Teflon linings. Uniballs kits run about $155 a pair (more if you replace all the hardware too) and this Icon Delta Joint kit was $280, so if they last for 3 years, then that's a little bit of savings. If they last for 5 then that's a huge savings.

Any chance you could post a picture of these installed into the knuckle? I'm thinking about buying these since my uniballs make a ton of noise because they wear out so fast from off road usage. I have total choas control arms as well but on a Tacoma...I think the FJ knuckles are similar if not the same.

Thanks
Cole

I will see what I can do. My knuckles have been reinforced with the TC v2.0 gussets. It makes installation a little more difficult since you have to access the delta joint's stud from the back of the knuckle instead of the front, but not very much more so.

I will see what I can do. My knuckles have been reinforced with the TC v2.0 gussets. It makes installation a little more difficult since you have to access the delta joint's stud from the back of the knuckle instead of the front, but not very much more so.

Probably not that critical to see it actually . I'm more interested if it just slides through the knuckle and the taper of bolt matches the knuckle without any adapters.

Yes it does. The only major difference is that the TC uniball stud was long enough to accommodate a 2nd jam nut. The new delta joint uses a lock nut and the stud is not long enough for a 2nd jam nut. Use plenty of red loctite.

Yes it does. The only major difference is that the TC uniball stud was long enough to accommodate a 2nd jam nut. The new delta joint uses a lock nut and the stud is not long enough for a 2nd jam nut. Use plenty of red loctite.

Thanks for the info! I complained enough to TC that they sent me new bearings...so I'll rock the free ones for now and buy these on the next go around...here is what mine were doing:

Thank you sir

@BMThiker How are your Delta Joints holdiing up? I'm looking to do these soon or do new uni-balls. Thx!

ETA: I have about 100K or so on my uni-balls. Thinking they are about 7 years old.

Last edited:
I have been running Delta joints for 2.5 years now. I do have Icon UCA . 3 trips to Moab. 2. trips to the Rubicon 1 to Fordyce and a bunch of other local runs. Lots of Snow. and they are just as good as the day i put them on . Getting Ready for another Moab/Rubicon/Fordyce run

Mine have been good so far. I took off the low profile zerks in favor of the traditional zerks. It's just easier to grease them with the traditional ones and the clearance isn't really an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom