Install 1ht fte with 5speed auto in Vx80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning to swap 1fzfte with a 1hd fte 5 speed auto. Has anyone done this swap.

1. If I am not wrong there is some modification to be done to the body as the casing of the 5 speed is a bit bigger.

2. Has anyone installed dashboard odo meters from 100 to vx80. Can it fit with some modification.

3. The gear lever is not the same. Is it possible to use the gear leaver from 100. Do you need to do any modification to the central console.

Any info and pictures will be highly appreciated..

Regards
Kishen
Bangkok thailand

If It's the former, check out my build thread as I just swapped a 1FZ for a FTE diesel and five speed transmission.

If you're wanting to keep the 1FZ engine and adapt a five speed, I'd say that's going to be a complicated project. You will definitely need to find some sort of standalone transmission controller and I presume a engine ECU from a manual transmission 1FZ powered rig as a start. There are ways of using the 1FZ 4-speed auto shifter with the later 5-speed. I'm doing exactly that now.

I'm a little confused by your post. Are you wanting to swap a 1FZ-E for a 1HD-FTE diesel and A750F 5-speed auto transmission combo or are you wanting to just put a 5-speed transmission out of a 100- series diesel behind a 1FZ-E?
I want to swap both the engine and 5 speed gear

Well, I'm just wrapping up my FTE/A750F install in my US Spec LX450. I'll eventually do a full write-up but here are a list of highlights:

-The engine and transmission fit in the 80-Series without modification to engine/transmission mounting points and only very slight modification needed to the transmission crossmember; I kept my driveshafts original too by swapping the 100-series transfer case for the 80-series case that has the viscous coupler.
-The 80-series shift assembly can be used with a few bits from Bryan Lutz of Lutz Auto. He makes a couple little gadgets that take a lot of mystery and pain our of converting an 80 to run the FTE and A750F. This includes a relocating plate that moves the transfer shift handle assembly to align to the 80-series transmission tunnel; a CNC-made NSS lever to relocate the lever from the LH to RH side of the transmission to work with the 80-series body; a multiplex signal converter to translate the FTE ECU CAN signals to analog illumination lights for CRUISE, PWR, and 2nd START lights in the instrument cluster; and a nifty little signal converter that translates the 80-series shift gate positions to the ECU and enables to O/D button on the 80-series shifter to activate 2nd/L shift functions.

You will need to have someone bypass the immobilizer from the ECU and build you a custom harness using a donor engine harness from your 80-series. Components from the 80-series engine harness are then grafted to the 100-series ECU and engine leads to create a semi-standalone harness to integrate into the 80-series body harness and drive all of the EFI/transmission functions. Contact a guy by the named Jonathan (goes by Thrashlux on the the FB forums) and prepare to cough up about $2,000 to 3,000 USD depending on what you have/need/want.

Otherwise, it's a fairly straight forward swap and is a real joy to drive for sure!

Well, I'm just wrapping up my FTE/A750F install in my US Spec LX450. I'll eventually do a full write-up but here are a list of highlights:

-The engine and transmission fit in the 80-Series without modification to engine/transmission mounting points and only very slight modification needed to the transmission crossmember; I kept my driveshafts original too by swapping the 100-series transfer case for the 80-series case that has the viscous coupler.
-The 80-series shift assembly can be used with a few bits from Bryan Lutz of Lutz Auto. He makes a couple little gadgets that take a lot of mystery and pain our of converting an 80 to run the FTE and A750F. This includes a relocating plate that moves the transfer shift handle assembly to align to the 80-series transmission tunnel; a CNC-made NSS lever to relocate the lever from the LH to RH side of the transmission to work with the 80-series body; a multiplex signal converter to translate the FTE ECU CAN signals to analog illumination lights for CRUISE, PWR, and 2nd START lights in the instrument cluster; and a nifty little signal converter that translates the 80-series shift gate positions to the ECU and enables to O/D button on the 80-series shifter to activate 2nd/L shift functions.

You will need to have someone bypass the immobilizer from the ECU and build you a custom harness using a donor engine harness from your 80-series. Components from the 80-series engine harness are then grafted to the 100-series ECU and engine leads to create a semi-standalone harness to integrate into the 80-series body harness and drive all of the EFI/transmission functions. Contact a guy by the named Jonathan (goes by Thrashlux on the the FB forums) and prepare to cough up about $2,000 to 3,000 USD depending on what you have/need/want.

Otherwise, it's a fairly straight forward swap and is a real joy to drive for sure!
Thank you very much for your advise. It is very helpful. I just bought the engine and the gear. It has been imported from Japan and it is still in the car. It comes with everything.

Planning to use the dash from 100 with some modifications to the console.

I say one and the guy had moved all the sensors from the 100 to the 80 for the immobilizer. The key will be changed to the 100.

I have a choice between the 3 engines. Waiting to start and check them.next week.

Can you share pictures?

Regards
Kishen

20230325_140807.jpg

The project is now complete. I successfully installed a fte with a 5 speed automatic transmission in my 80 series. If took me 6 months to complete the project. I am happy to say that I am having a lot of fun with it. The power is amazing so is the fuel
Consumption. On my last 2000 KM trip is got an average of 10.3km/ltr (I did push her a lot). On my previous trip (80 - 110km speed) I got 11.3km/ltr.

I will add a few pictures soon.

I did not get rid of the immobilized. It is in the car. The original key from the Fte engine is inserted and is kept behind the console. I use the key from the 80 series to open the door and start the engine.

Everything works as normal except the 2nd start and cruise control. Waiting for a module for those 2.

Had to customs build the wiring. Have combined the wiring of the 80 and the 100. Very happy with the result. Got a custom build center console and looks good. Will be adding pictures soon.

What was the total cost of the donor and parts? I can't decide if I want to just leave my 80 as is and find a TRD SC or cough up for a 2UZ or 1HDFT/FTE swap

Wow. You kept the viscous heater too? Does it work? If so, I'd love to hear how you wired it to work without the 100-series climate control connections.
Hi

Yes it does work. Had to do a bit of a custom work to make it work. We got the wiring diagram of both the cars and matched the wires to make it work.
7efb6ee1-40d2-4020-8ad2-3a9f5b85a8d7.jpeg
b24f3f28-0460-4c43-80e2-03712558c28b.jpeg
58a5559c-9d54-413c-a90e-82460f200fa9.jpeg
bdfe818e-12b8-46bd-9282-84b5ef4f2e69.jpeg
c6d12d9c-176a-40de-b429-0cf5ce6a4a8c.jpeg

What was the total cost of the donor and parts? I can't decide if I want to just leave my 80 as is and find a TRD SC or cough up for a 2UZ or 1HDFT/FTE swap
I am in Thailand. I bought the front end of the for USD 15000. The cost of wiring, small parts and labor was about usd 4000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom