Inner Shifter seal - same part on H42 and H55?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moby

GOLD Star
Threads
I need part #072 in the diagram below (the one on my H55 is torn almost in half and I think is responsible for the intermittent mild gear oil smell that I've got). SOR has different part numbers for the H55 and H42. Does anyone know if these are the same part or interchangeable? It would make ordering from my local dealer easier.

Attached image
066A.gif

I can tell you that the H42 shifter in my shop is different from the H55 in my wagon. My H55 doesn't have that fat section inside that's necked down once it goes through the boot. Like your diagram. It just goes continuous straight to the top cover. The H42 in my shop is just like the diagram. So there probably is some sort of difference.

Tony

Thanks, I'll get the H55f specific version. My H55f shifter doesn't neck down either. Having not ever had the H42 I don't have a referenced.

That is more of a rain/dust seal. I don't own a 60 series with a stick (have a FJ62) but do have a few series 60 floor shifting boots. Those I would think would have more to do with a smell getting inside your vehicle. That and the seal on the floor inspection plate. With a good innner/outer shifting boots and a good seal on the floor inspection plate I doubt you would get any transmission oil smell in the cab. Unless you other holes. I would still replace part 072 if it's bad to help keep dirt and water out of the transmission.:cheers:

That seal is important, does more than just keep out the dust and water, if its not there you may get 90 wt out of the tower. The gears throw oil around inside the case like mad.

Tony

My inner seal is torn about in half and the entire outer surface area of the seal is coated in gear oil...

That seal is important, does more than just keep out the dust and water, if its not there you may get 90 wt out of the tower. The gears throw oil around inside the case like mad.

Tony

I know the gears throw oil like mad but any transmission I've only had shifters with just have a little oil on it. SOR refers to it as a boot not a seal. If the area fills with oil it will still leak around the bottom since it doesn't made a tight seal. So if your getting that much oil I would check you oil level in the transmission. I know the seal between the transmission and transfer case is a big problem on the FJ40 one piece transfer case and I believe the same can happen with the split case. Getting a bunch of oil out the shifter is not normal.

Moby if your getting that much oil I would find out where it is coming from and fix it. Unlike the three speeds and H42 which are easy to find the H55F is a rare transmission here. Not as rare as a FJ25 four speed but since not that common since it was never imported to the US. I would also replace the boot on the tower and inner floor seal:cheers:

Zip tie around the boot helps tighten it right up.

Tony

Sure:

33555-55011

Yer the man! Needless to say, I need one of those seals too, so it's on the list for my next call to American Toyota :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom