Inherited 68 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone.

I'm a new member as of today. Looking for a community that can help me source information/parts and ideas for this 1968 Fj40. My grandfather passed away in Oregon a year ago. My grandmother is selling their property and is now moving to Wyoming. I've inherited my grandfathers FJ40. I hear it last ran 10-15 years ago. It sat outdoors, sometimes under a patio, sometimes out in the elements of sun, snow and rain. It has definitely seen better days. I am not looking to restore it but make it run again. I own a 2016 4Runner Trd Pro that i already use for offroad. I'd like to now turn this into my focus and main off road rig.

Here are the most recent photo's i've taken of it. All i can tell as of now is that it currently has some chevy in it. I haven't had the chance to get elbows deep into it and find all the upgrades (if any at all). All i know is, all of the wiring, hydraulic and fuel lines must be redone.

IMG_6115.JPEG

0553E74A-6E64-4A21-97A8-F077171327A9.JPG

2F172872-C7D7-42AA-A087-C5A6668E5C92.JPG

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

I am not looking to restore it but make it run again.

Condolences for your loss.

Looks like a solid example. Make it run and run it!! BTW, his is a very visual forum. The more pics the better..!!!

Sorry to hear about your Grandfathers passing. Getting the 40 back on the road would be a great way to remember him.

You have come to the right place for great info and help on your project.
Fortunately there are many here who have documented the same situation of getting a truck running after many years of neglect.
The Chevy motor conversion was quite popular "back in the day".

I am curious what the paint looks like under all the custom camo.
Maybe try paint thinner/mineral spirits on a small inconspicuous spot to see what lurks underneath? Have fun!

Welcome to Mud!

I would begin reading here:

This is another good reference. They have exploded diagrams. Their parts are good but can be expensive. Shop around the other vendors here before buying from them.

Download a FSM here:

And by all means Have Fun! I am sure Gramps would be pleased.

Sorry to hear about your Grandfathers passing. Getting the 40 back on the road would be a great way to remember him.

Fortunately there are many here who have documented the same situation of getting a truck running after many years of neglect.

Maybe try paint thinner/mineral spirits on a small inconspicuous spot to see what lurks underneath? Have fun!

Agreed on the paint idea. @B4YMAXRNR if you could pull that blue back out it would be worth it. There are some examples of other members doing just that with fantastic results!

That would be a great idea! A part of me decided to leave the rattle can camo paint since grandpa did that himself. He was definitely a mountain man haha. The other part of me would love to make just an overall clean build. Haven't 100% decided yet what i'd like to do. Perhaps somewhere in the middle, Grandpa's rattle can tattered outside, clean work under frame/hood.

Welcome to Mud!

I would begin reading here:

This is another good reference. They have exploded diagrams. Their parts are good but can be expensive. Shop around the other vendors here before buying from them.

Download a FSM here:

And by all means Have Fun! I am sure Gramps would be pleased.

Thank you for all of the information! So far i am very please joining this forum. The overall support/interest is unlike any forum i've joined in past!

I will definitely share more photos throughout the project. It's time for me to put time aside to tear this apart to see what i find. Grandma did let me know that he was the third owner. The guy before him purchased it for his highschool son. I guess he used it in autoshop. He is the one who cut the roll bar apart and swapped the engine. There is more history for me to unlock lol.

Bezel is upside down! Get it running and drive it!

Agreed on the paint idea. @B4YMAXRNR if you could pull that blue back out it would be worth it. There are some examples of other members doing just that with fantastic results!
I resemble this remark, but with slightly less than fantastic results 🤣
Glad to see you have an interest in preserving your grandfather’s personality, I look forward to updates.

Welcome to Mud! This is definitely the place for info on FJ40s.

What kind of “Chevy”? V8, straight six?

The fuel system is likely full of crap. Change all the fluids and get it running and driving. Then decide on which direction to take it.

More pics will help us tell you how to spend your money! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom