Builds Building my 68 fj40 in 40 days! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So Austin is re using his 60's original split-case I built/geared for him a while back in his 60, and needed one for this truck since he is using the H42 out of the 60 (with the idea of a future h55f swap a bolt-in). So he needed a T-case but these days I am really stingy with my cores, and a new one was out of budget, so we thought it would be fun to try and build one completely out of random used parts. All the gears are high-mileage mismatched take-outs from regearing T-cases in other Cruisers, the main case is from a Nicaraguan FJ45 that had a crack and a bunch of stripped out threads that we repaired. We did throw a rebuild kit at it so all new bearings/gaskets/seals.. I think it will be perfectly fine for this 40's planned usage :)

Clock is ticking

0DEDA741-790D-4D63-9CCE-31464D2C4E67.png

Ok so here we site 6 days until trailer for #GSTMR!

I will need to back fill all the info but work and time wrenching on this this has been exhausting!
Axles - Done
Lifts/Shocks - Done
Brakes - Done
Clutch - Done
Ebrake - Fabing and mounting the handle today but hooking it up at the axle done.
Temporary Floor - almost, ran out of wire at 2am last night. But will be today.
Ignition - Done
Wiring the FJ60 alternator, starter and battery done. - Done
Rear tire carrier -Done

Transfer case linkage - Done
Rear drive shaft made - Done
Front drive shaft -
Seat frame -
Rear seat mount -
Roll Cage / Bikini holder-
Front window -
Front head lights H3 converted -
Winch -
Aux lights-

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok so here we site 6 days until trailer for #GSTMR!

I will need to back fill all the info but work and time wrenching on this this has been exhausting!
Axles - Done
Lifts/Shocks - Done
Brakes - Done
Clutch - Done
Ebrake - Fabing and mounting the handle today but hooking it up at the axle done.
Temporary Floor - almost, ran out of wire at 2am last night. But will be today.
Ignition - Done
Wiring the FJ60 alternator, starter and battery done. - Done
Rear tire carrier -Done

Transfer case linkage - Done
Rear drive shaft made - Done
Front drive shaft -
Seat frame -
Rear seat mount -
Roll Cage / Bikini holder-
Front window -
Front head lights H3 converted -
Winch -
Aux lights-

View attachment 3339982

View attachment 3339984

View attachment 3339985

View attachment 3339986

View attachment 3339988
Man that’s looking great. Those new Klever MT look good on those wheels

So we made it on the trailer for #GSMTR2023 and had a blast! I didn’t get the headlights or tail lights working. And spent the first day getting the truck charging. 2nd day was great spent 6hr on the trails. Then once in town the fuel issue started and plagued me thru the next day. After my mechanical pump failed, I went through three electric pumps finally to figure out I must be getting a clog in the fuel tank. Now the tank was treated and sealed with the POR kit and most likely has delaminated. Then truck starts has pressure then slowly looses pressures then dies!

IMG_0881.jpeg

IMG_0891.jpeg

IMG_0905.jpeg

Sorry I have not gotten time to back fill on this post. Currently 40 is sitting in the drive way and I might set it on fire not sure at the moment. So I was having fuel delivery issues when I was in TN. Most likely the POR-15 tank sealant delaminated in the tank. And is causing an issue. I really do hate their products that’s for another day. I went to back to 40 off the trailer the other day. The motor usually fires off hard and fast. No matter how cold or hot it is. This time it was slower like a week battery but was cranking then I heard a metallic falling sound in the motor and now it is locked up. You can turn it with a wrench 180 then dead stop can’t budge it. Then it will turn back 180 but the same place boom dead stop. I’m in the middle of figuring out what’s wrong. But again I might just burn it to the ground and wash my hands been fun but more frustrating than anything.

IMG_0981.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom