Information Re: Importing to the USA and Complete DIY How-To (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I decided a broker on both ends was more than worth the cost. Actually I don't think I could have done it on the Saudi end without their services. These two left Jeddah in early April and are ETA Jacksonville in mid June.

3E2680EB-3665-4F4D-80B7-05A319B0883F.jpeg

Every time I see trucks from the Middle East I imagine someone at Toyota saying “you can have ‘em in any color you want, as long as you want desert tan.”
After 4 years in Saudi, there's no other color I would buy from the middle east....at least not in an importable model year. I'm still passively looking for a '96 or '97 manual 80 in the same color. Oddly enough, at some year the 100 series and basically all of the 200 series went to white - period.

I decided a broker on both ends was more than worth the cost. Actually I don't think I could have done it on the Saudi end without their services. These two left Jeddah in early April and are ETA Jacksonville in mid June.

View attachment 2983178

My $2750 RORO quote was from Jeddah to Jacksonville so I think that compares well to $1600 from Europe given the additional distance on both ends. Insurance in this area of the world for any kind of shipping has contributed quite a bit to the increased costs. I see those costs in our industry every day as we ship bulk commodity chemicals out of Saudi.

So just got the final invoice and thought I would update with some final numbers to get them onto a ship and headed toward the US. Total cost on this end was $9150. That was ~$2750 per for shipping, $500 each for insurance ($25k valuation), a bit over $1k each for handling all the logistics inside Saudi as well as all the paperwork, and some miscellaneous port fees. I probably could have avoided a few hundred dollars each by going to the traffic police and doing all the paperwork myself but for ~$500 each it wasn't worth my time and trouble.

Still have to deal with duty, port fees, and broker fees in Jacksonville.

So just got the final invoice and thought I would update with some final numbers to get them onto a ship and headed toward the US. Total cost on this end was $9150. That was ~$2750 per for shipping, $500 each for insurance ($25k valuation), a bit over $1k each for handling all the logistics inside Saudi as well as all the paperwork, and some miscellaneous port fees. I probably could have avoided a few hundred dollars each by going to the traffic police and doing all the paperwork myself but for ~$500 each it wasn't worth my time and trouble.

Still have to deal with duty, port fees, and broker fees in Jacksonville.
Since you were shipping two vehicles did you consider a container? I’m curious if that would have been similar total cost, or if there would have been any economy in consolidating it into a container.

Since you were shipping two vehicles did you consider a container? I’m curious if that would have been similar total cost, or if there would have been any economy in consolidating it into a container.
My US 97 has air bags and ABS. Interesting that a European model didn't.

I'm just starting the process to ship my two Land Cruisers back from Saudi to the US. I asked the moving company that's handling my household goods for a quote to put them in a 40' container and couldn't believe the price, $26k. Now that was door to door service but did not include any import fees, etc. I have subsequently talked to a different logistics company and have a more reasonable $2750 per vehicle quote for RORO from Jeddah to Jacksonville. Still working on getting pricing from a couple of other companies. I was willing to pay more for a container but not that much more. I also think they are just taking advantage of the situation to some degree and it appears to be driven from the US side.
From a previous post of mine. Yes, first option was a container but the price was ridiculous and that was only the shipping cost ($26k vs $5500).

Edit: The container price included the shipping cost plus the transport cost from Riyadh to Jeddah and US Port to home, so maybe take $2000 off the $26k.

Last edited:
Container prices are extremely high at the moment.. the shipping companies must be punished for this.. Its highway robbery..

Thanks for this great write-up! I may have missed it, but do you know what import rules are different for military or foreign service members? I am a (US) military member serving at the embassy in Botswana. The US government is shipping my 93 KZJ78 from Botswana to the VPC in Atlanta. The shipping department here at the Embassy handles getting the vehicle out of the country, but they haven't been much help telling me what to expect once the car arrives. The vehicle has been owned by me here for almost a year (not sure if that matters). Am I liable for duty import taxes, or is this waived for military members? Also, has anyone had experience in registering import vehicles in Georgia? Due to my travel schedule, if the vehicle arrives late, I may have to give my father-in-law a POA to handle the import, anything I should know in that regard?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Thanks for this great write-up! I may have missed it, but do you know what import rules are different for military or foreign service members? I am a (US) military member serving at the embassy in Botswana. The US government is shipping my 93 KZJ78 from Botswana to the VPC in Atlanta. The shipping department here at the Embassy handles getting the vehicle out of the country, but they haven't been much help telling me what to expect once the car arrives. The vehicle has been owned by me here for almost a year (not sure if that matters). Am I liable for duty import taxes, or is this waived for military members? Also, has anyone had experience in registering import vehicles in Georgia? Due to my travel schedule, if the vehicle arrives late, I may have to give my father-in-law a POA to handle the import, anything I should know in that regard?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
P.M. sent

Generally speaking, the personal possessions of Military members stationed overseas are allowed into the US without paying duty. From the US Customs and Border Protection website:

"The personal and household effects of any person (military or civilian) employed by the U.S. Government, and members of his/her family who have resided with him/her at their post or station and are returning to the U.S. with orders, may be entered free of duty unless items are restricted, prohibited, or limited as in the case of liquor and tobacco."

I wasn't sure if a vehicle counted as "personal and household effects", so I dug a little deeper and found this, also from US Customs and Border Protection:

"(for) Military Employees of the United States... In the case of a vehicle, the claimant must have taken possession of and registered the vehicle while overseas. If proof of registration is not provided, the vehicle is not entitled to free entry pursuant to 9805.00.50 and the appropriate duties must be assessed and paid."

So, it does matter if you've owned and registered the vehicle in your name while overseas. If you have, no import duty. If you haven't, then you have to pay.

As regards getting the car through US Customs when it arrives, you'll likely still need the NHTSA HS-7, EPA 3520-1, and CBP will still issue a 7501 (or equivalent) for you, as spelled out earlier in this thread. I've never brought a vehicle in through the military, but according to the The Atlanta VPC website, you just need to make an appointment before you go pick up your car, and you can send a representative instead of going yourself:

"Before you travel to the Atlanta VPC please check with your Installation Transportation Office and your Chain of Command.
Service Members who have been notified that their POV has arrived and is ready for PICK UP may PICK UP their POV during normal
operating hours with an appointment Please refer to the Pick Up link on the home page."

"Only the service member-owner or their representative may enter the VPC building. All others accompanying them must remain outside in their vehicles."

Details can be found here:

Probably a good idea to reach out to staff at the VPC with questions prior to shipment.

I'm not in Georgia, so I can't help you regarding registering an import there, but I see that @Gun Runner 5 has PM'd you, so I'd assume he can help with that.

Generally speaking, the personal possessions of Military members stationed overseas are allowed into the US without paying duty. From the US Customs and Border Protection website:

"The personal and household effects of any person (military or civilian) employed by the U.S. Government, and members of his/her family who have resided with him/her at their post or station and are returning to the U.S. with orders, may be entered free of duty unless items are restricted, prohibited, or limited as in the case of liquor and tobacco."

I wasn't sure if a vehicle counted as "personal and household effects", so I dug a little deeper and found this, also from US Customs and Border Protection:

"(for) Military Employees of the United States... In the case of a vehicle, the claimant must have taken possession of and registered the vehicle while overseas. If proof of registration is not provided, the vehicle is not entitled to free entry pursuant to 9805.00.50 and the appropriate duties must be assessed and paid."

So, it does matter if you've owned and registered the vehicle in your name while overseas. If you have, no import duty. If you haven't, then you have to pay.

As regards getting the car through US Customs when it arrives, you'll likely still need the NHTSA HS-7, EPA 3520-1, and CBP will still issue a 7501 (or equivalent) for you, as spelled out earlier in this thread. I've never brought a vehicle in through the military, but according to the The Atlanta VPC website, you just need to make an appointment before you go pick up your car, and you can send a representative instead of going yourself:

"Before you travel to the Atlanta VPC please check with your Installation Transportation Office and your Chain of Command.
Service Members who have been notified that their POV has arrived and is ready for PICK UP may PICK UP their POV during normal
operating hours with an appointment Please refer to the Pick Up link on the home page."

"Only the service member-owner or their representative may enter the VPC building. All others accompanying them must remain outside in their vehicles."

Details can be found here:

Probably a good idea to reach out to staff at the VPC with questions prior to shipment.

I'm not in Georgia, so I can't help you regarding registering an import there, but I see that @Gun Runner 5 has PM'd you, so I'd assume he can help with that.
Thank you for the info, very helpful. The last time I shipped a vehicle from overseas I was on an actual military base in Germany. It was a very straightforward process of scheduling the appointment with the pcsmypov website, dropping off the vehicle at the VPC on post, then picking it up at the VPC in Baltimore once it arrived. Everything gets a little "gray" (ie: not able to use pcsmypov) when dealing with Department of State shipping for military members.

Just a brief update to some information from earlier in the thread. Around post #35 there was some talk about land border crossings and whether it's required to declare/import your car at the border or whether it's OK (or even preferred) to do it at your local Customs office once you arrive home in the US. I've just completed my first import via a land border crossing (Canada, in this case). I chose to declare + import my car at the border rather than doing it at the Customs office closest to my house (which would be Denver). While my paperwork was being processed, I asked the agent if it was necessary to do the import at the border, or whether I could have waited until I got home to take care of it. He was adamant that it had to be done at the border at the time of crossing. However, when I followed up with a question about "what if" I didn't, could I do it in Denver (or wherever), he said "yes", but it would be at the discretion of the agents in Denver. So, pretty inconclusive, really.

In trying to clarify, I found this on the US Customs and Border Protection Information Center website:

"If you imported your vehicle by land, make sure you declare the vehicle for import and take care of the paperwork at the border. If you failed to do so, please contact a local CBP port and ask if they will process it for you."

So, the way I read that, for sure do it at the border, but if you don't then do it locally. lol... Guess that's resolved. Not. Seems like you could do it either way.

Seriously, in my case, the car I was driving had no license plates on it, so even just getting through the initial kiosk checkpoint was pretty much impossible without answering a bunch of questions about it.

agent: "is this your car?"
me: "yes"
agent: "no plates?"
me: "temporary registration in the back window"
agent: "you just bought it in Canada?"
me: "no, I bought it a year ago in Switzerland. I've had it stored in Canada."
agent: "why did you store it in Canada?"
me: "waiting for it to turn 25 so I could import it"
agent: (laughing) "I've never heard of anyone waiting. Park over there and go into the building to do the import."

Thank you for the info, very helpful. The last time I shipped a vehicle from overseas I was on an actual military base in Germany. It was a very straightforward process of scheduling the appointment with the pcsmypov website, dropping off the vehicle at the VPC on post, then picking it up at the VPC in Baltimore once it arrived. Everything gets a little "gray" (ie: not able to use pcsmypov) when dealing with Department of State shipping for military members.
This will be my situation soon. Im active duty military pcsing from department of state job (MSG) and they said they will handle shipping my house and POV. Hopefully it's all n easy process. My next duty station is Beaufort SC. I will keep you all updated on the process or if I have any questions, but I will fill out all the previous mentiontion documents just in case. Tha KS so much for this thread.

1995 kzj78 RHD Manual, 3.0 Diesel

@gilmorneau Frankly, this created more anxiety for what I thought I was planning on… I desperately want an FJ45 / HJ45… given the “ I did not know” rules… I‘m more apprehensive even on auction sites.

on the other hand…. This is some AMAZING compilation of material on importing or on ANY topic I have seen in quite some time..thank you for the energy you have put into this… this is Doctoral work on importation practices 👏 👏 👏

@gilmorneau Frankly, this created more anxiety for what I thought I was planning on… I desperately want an FJ45 / HJ45… given the “ I did not know” rules… I‘m more apprehensive even on auction sites.
I don't know what your plans are, or what has induced your anxiety, but any FJ45/HJ45 that's in original unmodified condition (mostly as regards the motor/emissions equipment) is legal to import by now. All are well over 25 years old. That said, if you're looking at South/Central American trucks on auction sites, then I can only advise to look very closely before buying. While there may be exceptions, there are other parts of the world with generally better reputations for vehicle condition, repairs, and restorations.

on the other hand…. This is some AMAZING compilation of material on importing or on ANY topic I have seen in quite some time..thank you for the energy you have put into this… this is Doctoral work on importation practices
Thanks. I had already compiled all the info for myself, and figured I'd post it in case anyone else might find it useful.

I don't know what your plans are, or what has induced your anxiety, but any FJ45/HJ45 that's in original unmodified condition (mostly as regards the motor/emissions equipment) is legal to import by now. All are well over 25 years old. That said, if you're looking at South/Central American trucks on auction sites, then I can only advise to look very closely before buying. While there may be exceptions, there are other parts of the world with generally better reputations for vehicle condition, repairs, and restorations.
I look at about a dozen trucks year in Central America, mostly Costa Rica. And, even after 12 years of doing it, I'm always super excited when I see pictures and read the details, and then heartbroken within minutes of getting up close and person with it. As such, I cannot advise buying any vehicle sight unseen, or without a trusted agent. There are decent/fair deals to be had on vintage trucks in Latin American, but Caveat Emptor!

Did you ever get the shipping situation figured out from the state department? I'm currently waiting on my vehicle to arrive and my shipping agency just told me it's taking longer than usual due to the situation in Russia.

I just wanted to see if you got everything finalized with your import

Great write-up, appreciate the time you put into it. Any experience or knowledge of how customs views Alu-cab or similar roof conversions?

Any experience or knowledge of how customs views Alu-cab or similar roof conversions?

No first-hand knowledge, since I've never bought or imported an Alu-Cab (yet). I do know a guy who's successfully imported a Troopy with a pop-top and Customs didn't care about it at all.

From a legal standpoint, they're mostly concerned with modifications to original emissions and safety equipment, but from a practical standpoint, they don't really have the bandwidth to catch every single detail of every make, year, and model of vehicle they see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom