Info needed for a frame off Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '72 FJ 40 that I've just pulled the engine and tranny, the tub comes off next week, so I can blast and paint the frame. It currently has a 4" lift with a SOA. Any suggestions on any popular upgrades to the frame before I blast and paint? The 1F has a few oil leaks, is there a universal gasket kit that can be purchased. I open to any advice before I tackle this project

Take it one step at a time. Since you have it torn down, you may want a 2F and a 4 speed, disk brakes, lockers in the diffs, etc. Some would even suggest a 350, I am happy with the 2F.

Get hold of TLC Concepts for a frame boxing kit, unless you are planning on making your own boxing plates.

Saginaw power steering plates can be welded on after sandblasting and prior to paint. Also drilling the holes for the sector throught the front x-member prior to painting. I would get a saginaw sector for a test fit prior to final welding.

Hope this helps, Matt

If you think you might be interested in any kind of tranny swap later on, you won't want to miss this opportunity to cut out the torque tube behind the transfer case and move it back about 4". You can either weld it back into the frame, or weld scab plates onto the frame and make it bolt on like I did on my 68.

65swb45 said:
If you think you might be interested in any kind of tranny swap later on, you won't want to miss this opportunity to cut out the torque tube behind the transfer case and move it back about 4". You can either weld it back into the frame, or weld scab plates onto the frame and make it bolt on like I did on my 68.

How do you arrive at 4". I bought my cruiser ('69) in pieces and haven't decided what tranny or engine or anything to go back with yet. I'm leaning toward cummins 4bt/ranger/4speed.

4" gives you enough room to align the shaft into the clutch when installing the trans with the 4 speed.
With the stock crossmember there's only about 1" between the crossmember and the emergency brake drum on the 4 speed in a pre74 frame.

Thanks to all, I've already done the PS conversion and boxed the frames. All done against conventional wisdom. The PS conversion was done by mounting the gear box to the frame next to the shock tower, leaving me with the hole in the x-member, so when closing the the hole I just continued boxing the front frame.
I guess what I was looking for was suggestions on improving the "ride"...... Shocks, air suspension, brakes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom