Induction range? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have one? Pros and cons? Thoughts?

We have one at our condo. Given the option for gas (which we don't there), there is no way that I would use anything that doesn't put out a very visible blue flame.

Why's that? Safety issues?

My scenario is this: new gas range with electric double oven ($1950) + $2650 (estimate) to run gas line to kitchen area OR induction cooktop with convection oven for $2400. Hmmmmm, not much of a question price wise.

Check the power requirements for the induction. We're in our 'starter' house and I would have had to upgrade my panel to fit an induction range in. Always freakin' something isn't it?

Induction locks you into specific cookware, so that's something to keep in mind.

Why so much to run a gas line? We had a gas line run most of the way across our house for a fraction of that price (like knock off the 2).

That cost included upgrading the existing service, regulators, and running an obscene amount of pipe, because it would have to go outside the house. So the guy from A1 heating and air said, I wouldn't know.

I suppose it's possible, but that seems rather expensive to me.

If you're having to dig and lay pipe, yeah, that'll get expensive quick. No crawl space to run pipe through?

Why's that? Safety issues?

My scenario is this: new gas range with electric double oven ($1950) + $2650 (estimate) to run gas line to kitchen area OR induction cooktop with convection oven for $2400. Hmmmmm, not much of a question price wise.

Not sure what you are asking. There is no gas at the condo so electricity is the only option. It came with the range.

With regards to my preference for gas, that has nothing to do with safety. I like to cook and I like to be able to instantly control the amount of heat I'm working with. Gas is the only cooking medium that gives you that control.

I agree that $2400 +/- would put me off of gas as well but that does sound a bit high (but what do I know?). FWIW, I have no preference on the ovens, gas or electric convection. Some people that are really into baking swear by gas ovens but I've never had a problem with electric. It's just the electric ranges that I dislike using.

No crawl space. 1/2 basement and the other 1/2 is several feet below ground level. That seems kind of odd now that you mention it.

Here's a description: garage is at ground level, come down two feet and you're in the sunken part of the house, with a 2nd story above. From the garage, go up 2 ft and you're in the front room/kitchen over the basement.

That cost included upgrading the existing service, regulators, and running an obscene amount of pipe, because it would have to go outside the house. So the guy from A1 heating and air said, I wouldn't know.

Upgrading the gas service or the electric service? I cannot imagine that you would need to "upgrade" the gas service for a gas range. Also I thought the gas pressure regulator normally came with the range and was located under the range (at least mine is). Running some pipe around a house shouldn't be that expensive.

Is the range on an outside wall or is it on an island? Outside wall should be cheap. Do you have to bore under a driveway to get from the gas meter to the location? I'm just having trouble with the $2400.

Not sure what you are asking. There is no gas at the condo so electricity is the only option. It came with the range.

With regards to my preference for gas, that has nothing to do with safety. I like to cook and I like to be able to instantly control the amount of heat I'm working with. Gas is the only cooking medium that gives you that control.

I agree that $2400 +/- would put me off of gas as well but that does sound a bit high (but what do I know?). FWIW, I have no preference on the ovens, gas or electric convection. Some people that are really into baking swear by gas ovens but I've never had a problem with electric. It's just the electric ranges that I dislike using.

That explains it. I was just wondering if there had been an issue with an electric/induction range with you/your family due to not being able to 'see the blue flame'.

Upgrading the gas service or the electric service? I cannot imagine that you would need to "upgrade" the gas service for a gas range. Also I thought the gas pressure regulator normally came with the range and was located under the range (at least mine is). Running some pipe around a house shouldn't be that expensive.

Is the range on an outside wall or is it on an island? Outside wall should be cheap. Do you have to bore under a driveway to get from the gas meter to the location? I'm just having trouble with the $2400.

Well, that's what the guy told me, $2650. He said we didn't have a large enough supply line to run our water heater, furnace, fireplace, AND a gas cooktop. He said we'd need two additional regulators: one to run the existing stuff and a new one at the meter? It was the end of his day and I felt like he just kinda wanted to get out of here.

It's on an exterior wall. No driveway boring, that was all above ground, but on the outside of the house.

Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it, as I don't know much about gas. If you tell me that guy was on crack and I should talk to someone else, I'll do it!!

That explains it. I was just wondering if there had been an issue with an electric/induction range with you/your family due to not being able to 'see the blue flame'.

Well, that's what the guy told me, $2650. He said we didn't have a large enough supply line to run our water heater, furnace, fireplace, AND a gas cooktop. He said we'd need two additional regulators: one to run the existing stuff and a new one at the meter? It was the end of his day and I felt like he just kinda wanted to get out of here.

It's on an exterior wall. No driveway boring, that was all above ground, but on the outside of the house.

Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it, as I don't know much about gas. If you tell me that guy was on crack and I should talk to someone else, I'll do it!!

Talk to someone else. As much as I dislike dealing with plumbers (nothing against plumbers per se; it's just that they seem to be perpetually in low supply and high demand), I think I would talk to one. You might also try an HVAC contractor.

With regards to needing to upgrade everything, hard for me to imagine that a gas range would be the straw that broke the camel's back, especially since they run on such low pressure. But I could be wrong.

With regards to needing to upgrade everything, hard for me to imagine that a gas range would be the straw that broke the camel's back, especially since they run on such low pressure. But I could be wrong.

What he said.

What is there currently available? We had 1/2" run to a fireplace, had that removed and ran either 3/4" or 1" to the fireplace (can't remember which off hand), and from there to a new gas range. There's a T put in place so we can add a gas furnace and gas water heater down the road. We have a crawl space, so it was a pretty simple job, and was only a couple hundred bucks. Only new line needed to be ran, nothing else (no regulators, etc).

As WarDamnEagle said, I don't understand why you'd need two (or any) regulators. There are regulators built into all gas devices, so each device already has it's own. Honestly it sounds like he's padding his bill to me.

Gas line is super easy to do. You can DIY in most places. You need a permit if replacing (at least here you do), but you can pull the permit yourself. The plumber who did ours would have charged double for pulling the permit, because it's a big hassle for him and his name is on it. So you might get a big discount if you deal with the paper work yourself. I was originally going to do it myself, but it ended up being so cheap to have a pro come in and do it, it wasn't worth it.

Well, that's what the guy told me, $2650. He said we didn't have a large enough supply line to run our water heater, furnace, fireplace, AND a gas cooktop. He said we'd need two additional regulators: one to run the existing stuff and a new one at the meter?

The two additional regulators and a new meter send up the red flag for me..:confused:

X3, get some other quotes..IMO, you will be happier with gas.

Talk to someone else. As much as I dislike dealing with plumbers (nothing against plumbers per se; it's just that they seem to be perpetually in low supply and high demand), I think I would talk to one. You might also try an HVAC contractor.

Thanks for the info!!!

What he said.

What is there currently available? We had 1/2" run to a fireplace, had that removed and ran either 3/4" or 1" to the fireplace (can't remember which off hand), and from there to a new gas range. There's a T put in place so we can add a gas furnace and gas water heater down the road. We have a crawl space, so it was a pretty simple job, and was only a couple hundred bucks. Only new line needed to be ran, nothing else (no regulators, etc).

As WarDamnEagle said, I don't understand why you'd need two (or any) regulators. There are regulators built into all gas devices, so each device already has it's own. Honestly it sounds like he's padding his bill to me.

Gas line is super easy to do. You can DIY in most places. You need a permit if replacing (at least here you do), but you can pull the permit yourself. The plumber who did ours would have charged double for pulling the permit, because it's a big hassle for him and his name is on it. So you might get a big discount if you deal with the paper work yourself. I was originally going to do it myself, but it ended up being so cheap to have a pro come in and do it, it wasn't worth it.

Copy, I think he said we have 3/4" line that reduces to 1/2" for the appliances.

The two additional regulators and a new meter send up the red flag for me..:confused:

X3, get some other quotes..IMO, you will be happier with gas.

THANKS, GUYS!!! I really wanted gas. Calling plumbers.... :cheers:

Copy, I think he said we have 3/4" line that reduces to 1/2" for the appliances.

If you already have 3/4", you can probably get away with that, especially since only the burners will be gas. 1" would probably be better, for the rare instance that you have all your appliances on at once. It depends on how long of a run you have and how much demand those appliances have, however.

My $.02 -

Gas is low pressure so you need a lot of volume in order to keep up with a high btu fancy cooktop. So you need a higher pressure reg at tank/meter and then one to step down outside house and at cooktop. Pipe size is to ensure adequate flow although I am a little skeptical that it's absolutely necessary because I had to turn all the cooktop valves down for a usable low setting on the burners

So figure the line length and pressure drop and what it would take to rent a trencher and deal with finding other utilities and then you will know if you're getting an honest bid.

Well, s***. Guy #2 just left. Said they can do it for way less, but it definitely isn't gonna be easy. No quote yet, says he's gonna bounce it off the old man and go from there. He also mentioned having the city run another gas line to the S end of our house if needed. No crawl space with a 4 level home (split level main, basement, and 2nd floor), attic is gonna be extremely difficult. blah blah blah blah...

He estimated 110' of pipe, with lots of threading and cutting to fit the corners. One of his hang-ups is anchoring the pipe to a concrete wall. :meh:

I'm not ready to tap out just yet.

Last edited:
He estimated 110' of pipe, with lots of threading and cutting to fit the corners. One of his hang-ups is anchoring the pipe to a concrete wall. :meh:

If were me, I would want it buried except where it comes vertically out of the ground.

If were me, I would want it buried except where it comes vertically out of the ground.

Any particular reason?

From the meter, there's about 40' of concrete heading west, followed by 60' of concrete heading south, and then 10' of landscaping back to the east. I can only imagine being able to avoid the 60' heading south by taking it out in to my back yard, which isn't a problem.

There's a sprinkler system, phone line, and who knows what out back. Sewer, water, and gas out front for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom