Induction range? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any particular reason?

From the meter, there's about 40' of concrete heading west, followed by 60' of concrete heading south, and then 10' of landscaping back to the east. I can only imagine being able to avoid the 60' heading south by taking it out in to my back yard, which isn't a problem.

There's a sprinkler system, phone line, and who knows what out back. Sewer, water, and gas out front for sure.

I don't like looking at pipes (and my undergrad is in Chemical Engineering), wires, or anything else fastened to the outside of a house. I asked you earlier about driveways; I guess I should have said obstructions. :)

Obviously if you have to bore under or bust up that much concrete then underground isn't a viable option. Hard to say much more without photos.

Good luck with the second quote. If you really want gas then you are going to regret installing anything else.

I don't like looking at pipes (and my undergrad is in Chemical Engineering), wires, or anything else fastened to the outside of a house. I asked you earlier about driveways; I guess I should have said obstructions. :)

Obviously if you have to bore under or bust up that much concrete then underground isn't a viable option. Hard to say much more without photos.

Good luck with the second quote. If you really want gas then you are going to regret installing anything else.

I just spoke with Guy #2. His bid is $1100 (or $10/ft). That's a 58% savings over Guy #1. Plus, the gas stove is $500 less than the induction range, so now we're at a diff of $600. I think I know what we're going to do now. We'll be happier with gas.

That sounds like a fair quote given the distance he has to go.

Did he say what he was going to do? Pipe size, regulators, etc?

I think you'll be happier with the gas range. Induction ranges are cool, but I've heard of people having problems with the electronics in them after a while. If you look at them, they're a pretty big mass of wiring (all stuff to go wrong). Gas is much simpler, less stuff to break.

I really wanted a gas cook top with electric oven, but couldn't afford it. So we got an all gas one, and I found an electric wall oven for $25 that was only a few years old (pulled out of a home being torn down). So kinda got the best of both worlds. :grinpimp:

gas is THE way to go. i have a dual fuel cooktop and oven and am going to miss the hell out of it when we move. first thing to be upgraded in a new house will be the range if its not gas already.

I remembered the county assessor's website has an aerial view.

The red dot is where the gas meter is. The teal dot is where the kitchen is. In voodoo blue is our storage shed. The brick red portion is the garage. The blue portion of the house is the 2nd floor over the partially sunk main floor. The purple is the kitchen and front room over the basement. and there's a covered concrete patio on the back. Obviously the yellow line is the proposed pipe route. Hope that helps.

THANKS AGAIN to everyone for their input here. Keep it coming!!!
aerial_view.jpg
colors_after.jpg

Well that's about as far away as possible and still be part of the same house.

Are they going to run the pipe just above grade, clamped to the house? Are there no doors on the backside to navigate, or is the house elevated enough that you can run the pipe "under" the door(s)? Just curious.

Well that's about as far away as possible and still be part of the same house.

Are they going to run the pipe just above grade, clamped to the house? Are there no doors on the backside to navigate, or is the house elevated enough that you can run the pipe "under" the door(s)? Just curious.

Yes, there's about 3" of stemwall showing that they'll attach the pipe to. It should be effectively 'hidden' by the overhang of the siding. From the meter, there's a man door into the back of the garage that may be a challenge, but along the back of the house on the porch will be easy, relatively speaking. Everything's elevated plenty back there, but it'll take some 90's and some 45s to get around the sliding door alcove. Otherwise, it's a pretty straight shot.

Guy #3 was here. He ACTUALLY went up into the attic and found a route thru. Plus his bid is $920. He'll be back Fri to do the pipes and hook up the new stove!!! :cheers:

If you tell me that guy was on crack and I should talk to someone else, I'll do it!!

Guy #3 was here. He ACTUALLY went up into the attic and found a route thru. Plus his bid is $920. He'll be back Fri to do the pipes and hook up the new stove!!! :cheers:

Well I guess you answered that question.

Awsome, where does the venison hang?:D

So many people just do whatever the first "professional" tells them to do. Good job on not being a sheeple.

Awsome, where does the venison hang?:D

Ha!!! I have a monster hook in the garage. It was here when we moved in, so I assume the PO had a heavy bag on it. ;)

I wanted to hang it on the tree in the front yard, but my wife was afraid some of the neighbors might be offended. :lol:

Finally, we have gas!! Plumber was here all day on Fri and most of the afternoon on Sat. Loving the gas already!!!

:cheers:

*jealous*

We re-applianced our kitchen 2 years ago. I let my wife talk me into keeping a smooth cooktop range, I fell for the "easier to clean" argument. HA that's a crock, that damned thing is a giant PITA to get it looking nice. Now that I work in a large commercial kitchen once a week, I really wish I had gas at home. I'm convinced that smooth cooktop stoves are for people that never cook.

And some money shots!
photo.jpg
photo(1).jpg

Very nice. Our stove has the same configuration for the top, love the power burner and griddle burner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom