In over my head (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled the gas tank.

20210513_193904.jpg

The sending unit is fried.
Needless to say not sure if the tank is salvageable. On my list of needs so far.
Fan Shroud
Radiator Grille
One Gas Tank Strap
The correct seats

20210514_133904.jpg

Last edited:
So that tank sending unit is a weird one (given the year), in that it doesn‘t have a linear response like the later (post mid-63) ones do, so it’s hard to assess if it’s functional. Put an ohm meter on the leads, and if it makes a jump in resistance at some point, there’s a good chance it’s still functional - with the original gauge if it’s too still functional. As far as the brass float, there is a non-OEM replacement that works. Let me know if your interested in pursuing keeping the sender unit operational and I can dig around in my three year pile of papers and see where I got it from. Most likely someplace like Summit or such, via a google search. I took a shot at mine, about in the same shape, and it’s fully operational and one of the best things of all the rusted and beat up crap on my rig that works! (But yours is a bit more rusty than mine was, maybe a sauna in everclear rust remover for a bit).

GL with seats. There’s a lot of confusion and unknowns in these early ‘63s vice the mid-year and later ‘63s.

Do you still have the generator, and the associated amp regulator? There’s a bit of electrical wizardry necessary if not if you want the CHG light to function properly on the meter gauge.

Last edited:
So that tank sending unit is a weird one (given the year), in that it doesn‘t have a linear response like the later (post mid-63) ones do, so it’s hard to assess if it’s functional. Put an ohm meter on the leads, and if it makes a jump in resistance at some point, there’s a good chance it’s still functional - with the original gauge if it’s too still functional. As far as the brass float, there is a non-OEM replacement that works. Let me know if your interested in pursuing keeping the sender unit operational and I can dig around in my three year pile of papers and see where I got it from. Most likely someplace like Summit or such, via a google search. I took a shot at mine, about in the same shape, and it’s fully operational and one of the best things of all the rusted and beat up crap on my rig that works! (But yours is a bit more rusty than mine was, maybe a sauna in everclear rust remover for a bit).

GL with seats. There’s a lot of confusion and unknowns in these early ‘63s vice the mid-year and later ‘63s.

Do you still have the generator, and the associated amp regulator? There’s a bit of electrical wizardry necessary if not if you want the CHG light to function properly on the meter gauge.
That would be great if you can find
information on sending unit.

Yup. Generator. Cool. Take a pic of what’s on the firewall where those wires go.

Here‘s the float I got and works. Got it from Amazon before making the move to dump Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B01GFDB428

I can’t be certain if that’s original or not because it’s mounted vertically. The original voltage regulator for the generator was horizontally mounted in that location, and they were physically much bigger than the modern VRs of today because of the older “electronics” (non-solid state). The reason that this may be relative is that the CHG idiot circuitry needs a VR that has a switch that turns on the idiot light when the voltage drops below X volts (can’t remember, 13v or something). Once the cruisers went to the AMP meter and associated electrics that VR switch was no longer needed and not included. I had to go with a GM internally regulated alternator on my ‘63 (generator long gone as well as the VR) that has a switch so I could maintain the CHG idiot light, because I’m an idiot at heart 😂.

10SI are available everywhere, I got this reman one from China from Amazon 🤫. Clunky install though to get anything non-stock to fit the original generator bracket:
A bit clunky putting the generator-to-alternator conversion bracket in place for the 10SI, but it mostly fits. And there’s some good chrome for under the hood to please a couple of mud-folks 😂.
10SI remanufactured in China, we'll see.
View attachment 2315805View attachment 2315804

This is the bracket A200, Universal Alternator Bracket, Generator to Alternator Conversion - https://store.alternatorparts.com/a200-universal-alternator-mounting-bracket.aspx.

If this is what you have your good to go if it all still works
So I’m suppose to have a VR that spans both bolt locations that functions with the generator and works with the early wire harness. Parts pic from JP @ClemsonCruiser and FSM pic is from Destin’s early 40 FST build.
View attachment 2224332
View attachment 2224333

Both the VR and generator (and associated harness) are long gone. I have a late 60’s alternator (B, E, F and N terminals) and a couple of 3-wire VRs. In order to keep the CHG light functionality I’m going to have to find a 6-wire VR that has a V relay to work with this alternator or get a GM 10SI alternator with internal VR that has a direct feed to the CHG light (via WR wire) and punt the external VR.

I think.

I‘ve hammered your build thread enough 😛.

If this is what you have your good to go if it all still works

I‘ve hammered your build thread enough 😛.
You've been a lot of help. Thanks

I've had a couple of them re-cored but if I was doing it over again I would get a new OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom