In Memory of Kevin, Tools R US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_1398.JPG

Many of us somewhat dreaded this day, but if it had to happen, we sure couldn't have asked for a better day...

Last edited:
@Rudster's photo of Kevin's truck today:

20191130_103458-jpg.2146357

for all you non-Phoenix area people: that white stuff up there on the mountains is highly unusual for us (the night after Thanksgiving, we had a huge thunderstorm, even tornadoes, mucho wind and rain, and, evidently, snow in higher elevations)

and thanks to @-Spike-, we all now have a black bandana hanging somewhere off our trucks - except for @Bella1992, who decided to use the bandana for a hat

@Rudster's photo of Kevin's truck today:

20191130_103458-jpg.2146357

for all you non-Phoenix area people: that white stuff up there on the mountains is highly unusual for us (the night after Thanksgiving, we had a huge thunderstorm, even tornadoes, mucho wind and rain, and, evidently, snow in higher elevations)

and thanks to @-Spike-, we all now have a black bandana hanging somewhere off our trucks - except for @Bella1992, who decided to use the bandana for a hat

That mountain is 8k', snow up there isn't uncommon

What a turn out! Looks like a great day and a great way to pay tribute to a champion!

If I weren't on the wrong side of the globe, I'd have liked to come along. A chance to meet so many like minded people doesn't happen often. Fantastic countryside too!

Sounds like you’re in need of a vacation. There’s always passenger seats available.;)

Definitely in need of a vacation!

I might just take you up on that offer some day ;)

We just LOVE entertaining guests, and even more so, we love to show off the Tonto National Forest., our 3 million acre playground full of trails!😎

Life is but a fleeting moment. Sounds like Kevin made the most of his brief time on Earth. I've picked through some of his posts and am amazed at how much info he had and happily shared with us. Thank you is an understatement. Happy trails sir

A well respected and knowledgeable contributor and he will truly be missed. I love his avatar!

'If something breaks on your truck while I'm pulling you out it's your fault, if something breaks on mine it's your fault!'
First time I heard that from Kevin was on the way to CruiseMoab 2008, April 28...

We had stayed overnight in Blanding, UT, and were on our way to Monticello, UT - the long way, on dirt, starting at US 95, up to Bears Ears, Elks Ridge, Beef Basin, and into the back door of Canyonlands NP to get back to blacktop and civilization via the Elephant Hill trail. Beautiful scenery, thousands of feet of elevation change along the way. Since I had a GPS track from the year before, I was leading that day in the K5; Kevin was tailgunning in the LX; besides the AZ gang (ChaseTruck = michael, DSRTRDR = Claudia, Tools R Us = Kevin, BrotherRob = Rob, Blues Dawg = RIP Carl, Jim S., and bluecruiser = Chris), we had a sizable Canadian contingent with us - BC_FJC = Drew, Glen-BJ74 = Glen, and semlin = Simon.

High up into the mountains, the trail is blocked by two fallen trees - and Drew on the radio goes "...who's got the chainsaw, eh?...". Kevin's like "...why would we have a chainsaw? Didn't you bring one?" - "...No, we thought we'd be 'wheeling in the desert..." - "Well, then why did you think we would have one?..."

Next to the trees in the middle of the meadow that snowmelt had turned into a swamp were two stuck vehicles - a Dodge PU, and one strap length further in, a shiny Ford Excursion.
After assessment of the situation, a division of labor ensued. I winched the dodge backwards (no worries, we did throw an old jacket over the cable; I just don't have minute-by-minute documentation of the event...):

DSC05057.JPG

DSC05049.JPG

While the Canadians got to work on the downed trees to clear a path that wouldn't go thru the swamp (and tear it up even worse...):

DSC05050.JPG

The winch cable didn't reach the Excursion, and I didn't have a traction bar (yet...): pulling the Excursion forward, my truck would have done the leaf spring boogie and not pull anything. So Kevin stepped in to pull the Excursion forward. But before that, the poor driver of the Excursion (wife's new truck, stuck for 4+ hours already, 7 kids in the vehicle, absolutely no provisions, 60+ miles from town) got the indoctrination mentioned above... :)

And to settle the situation, Simon steps in after Kevin's speech "... I'm a lawyer, this counts...". Well, the ground was slick as snakesnot, not easy to tread lightly while recovering the vehicle.

DSC05076.JPG

Kevin got him out easily, and we were finally on our way again. We had a marvelous day, and I'll finish reminiscing with another pic of Kevin along the way:

DSC_0747.JPG

Kevin helped me with a radiator question I had. We chatted for quite a while on the phone. When I thought all I had was a quick question I walked away with a friend. I would be honored to be a part of this run next year. He was a good man and has left a great legacy. @Wife, Thank you for sharing him with us.

Kevin helped me with a radiator question I had. We chatted for quite a while on the phone. When I thought all I had was a quick question I walked away with a friend. I would be honored to be a part of this run next year. He was a good man and has left a great legacy. @Wife, Thank you for sharing him with us.
The run is already done but there's talk of making it annual on the Saturday after Thanksgiving

Terribly sad to have just learned of this. I learned so many useful things from his posts over the years. Wonderful to see this community come together in support.

RIP Kevin!!

I cant believe i just now found out about this.
@Wife , my deepest condolences; your Kevin was a force on this forum. There's not one thread on here that he didn't exponentially help out and steer it to a conclusion that helped us all. He was always truthful and dealt in honesty and never a jackass.
I owe him unspeakable amount of time and money that he saved me by following his tips.

I have lots more to say, but not the words to convey it.
I hope to see you at the Memorial Run next year.

Lately, I have been working down at the shop with @inkpot on a few Land Cruisers here and there to help fill the void left by Kevin’s passing. Assessing a few vehicles, a front axle rebuild, working on fixing a few cracked panhard mounts with the help of another local friend who knew Kevin quite well, and most recently a rear locker actuator which didn’t work.

I’ve dealt with a sticky actuator once, on my own 80 in a hotel parking lot in Moab, so I’m somewhat familiar but limited in the experience department aside from having chatted with Kevin several times while watching him refurb them; mostly handing him tools and general BSing, the equivalent to a kid holding the flashlight for his dad sort of stuff.

I got the actuator working and went to install it. Since it wasn’t locking beforehand I ran into some challenges with the install.

Fighting with it and knowing I was missing a detail, but couldn’t remember what that detail was. After struggling, I retreated to the front office and sat down in Kevin’s chair while searching for my answer on this forum.

And so, sitting in Kevin’s chair in the office, going through the threads I found my answer; posted by Kevin a few years ago and giving me the information I needed to finish the job. A very surreal experience.

I debated posting this here, partially out of pride after failing at something I felt confident in and also because it seemed like it didn’t belong. I shared it with a friend and he pointed out that it is proof of what he did for this community and that his presence lives on.

I miss you Kevin, but you’re never far away it seems.

Lately, I have been working down at the shop with @inkpot on a few Land Cruisers here and there to help fill the void left by Kevin’s passing. Assessing a few vehicles, a front axle rebuild, working on fixing a few cracked panhard mounts with the help of another local friend who knew Kevin quite well, and most recently a rear locker actuator which didn’t work.

I’ve dealt with a sticky actuator once, on my own 80 in a hotel parking lot in Moab, so I’m somewhat familiar but limited in the experience department aside from having chatted with Kevin several times while watching him refurb them; mostly handing him tools and general BSing, the equivalent to a kid holding the flashlight for his dad sort of stuff.

I got the actuator working and went to install it. Since it wasn’t locking beforehand I ran into some challenges with the install.

Fighting with it and knowing I was missing a detail, but couldn’t remember what that detail was. After struggling, I retreated to the front office and sat down in Kevin’s chair while searching for my answer on this forum.

And so, sitting in Kevin’s chair in the office, going through the threads I found my answer; posted by Kevin a few years ago and giving me the information I needed to finish the job. A very surreal experience.

I debated posting this here, partially out of pride after failing at something I felt confident in and also because it seemed like it didn’t belong. I shared it with a friend and he pointed out that it is proof of what he did for this community and that his presence lives on.

I miss you Kevin, but you’re never far away it seems.
He's not REALLY gone! 😎

Richard,
Good thing he left so many bread crumbs for the rest of us.

Kevin had a ton of faith in you from Day 1. I've been meaning to tell you this for some time. Before I met you Kevin mentioned you to me. He called you the "new guy". He warned me that I hadn't met the new guy. He said it in a way that made me wonder, who is this new guy and why did Kevin mention him that way. Well, it didn't take long before you were not the new guy anymore. You assimilated with the local cruiser corps and with TRAL and into a leadership role with TRAL. I think he saw you as a younger and better focused version of himself. He also saw an energetic young man who had his head on straight, someone who enjoys wheeling, Land Cruisers and nature as much as he did.

His legacy lives on - You're living it my friend.

-Trent

Last edited:
sometimes when we are standing outside or in the shop talking, I still expect Kevin to come join us the next minute . . . :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom