Improving handling on my FJ62. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can post the numbers to my shocks tomorrow. I called bilstein for their suggestions on valving based on my trucks weight.

I went with ome shackles because of strength in numbers. A lot of people use them and the geometry is sound. I didn’t have to use the caster shims.

I’m using the cs005 springs all around (the heaviest) with 32 psi in my 33x10.5’s. No joke, I take my elderly parents around in it with without any complaints.

Let me get this straight: You're driving a 30+ year old full size SUV with a lift and large tires and you have a question about handling?
Think this through for a minute.
Go ahead, we'll wait......

Park the Landcruiser and get BMW 3 series to drive, problem solved.:steer::cheers:

Hi, Think of your cruiser not as individual parts but a System. Every part must function correctly for the system to work. Evaluate all steering and suspension components . Mike

Let me get this straight: You're driving a 30+ year old full size SUV with a lift and large tires and you have a question about handling?
Think this through for a minute.
Go ahead, we'll wait......

As i said i know these don't handle well to start off with, but i've driven plenty of lifted leaf sprung Cruisers and my own doesn't feel anywhere near as stable as them hence why i'm asking. Don't need a smart ass comment mate. It's sorted out anyway, it was all down to caster.

Hi, Think of your cruiser not as individual parts but a System. Every part must function correctly for the system to work. Evaluate all steering and suspension components . Mike

Cheers Mike, yes i have evaluated everything. I lowered it to stock shackles but still with the lifted springs, shackle angle isn't great but it handles far better!!

glad you got some improvement mate if mine was not a touring based rig i would have kept the extended shackles but she felt too doughy if thats a good word in the handling.

glad you got some improvement mate if mine was not a touring based rig i would have kept the extended shackles but she felt too doughy if thats a good word in the handling.

Yes, shorter shackles fixed it a lot, though my shackle angles are still not great, but I guess that comes down to the springs. I'll spend more time on the road also, so I'll keep the taller springs but stock shackles. I also want slightly smaller tyres, was thinking 10.5 instead of 12.5 tyres?

i had 31.10.5r but with the 3 inch lift it just did not look right i ended going to 32.11.5r which was a good compromise. Here is a pic with the 32's on excuse the mud.....bottom pic is the 32's with sagged stock suspension loaded up on a trip.
20171021_123802.jpg
IMG_0615.JPG

did you say it was all down to caster?

I drink Sierra Nevada, normally. you're welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom