Improved handling - FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
When I recently had OME suspension installed on my 60, Mudrak suggested that I consider installing the rear sway bar from the FJ62 on the FF axle we were installing. It bolted right up, and cost very little. This, in addition to the OME suspension has been a tremendous improvement on on highway hadling in the hills. Seems to provide a firmer footing on corners.

If you are looking for better highway manners, this may help.

I wonder if you can do that with a spring over?

TB

HZJ60 Guy said:
I wonder if you can do that with a spring over?

TB

The bar attaches to the frame with a pivoting rod which fits a bracket on the frame and passes through the eye in the end of the bar. The SOA setup seems feasible if this rod were extended. Not sure about the geometry. If you could look under a 62, you might be able to figure this without a problem.

Mike S

I added a rear sway bar to my 60, and it's a noticable improvement. Not as big a deal as the new 3" suspension, and fixing all the worn stuff in the steering though...

Since the installation of the new OME lift last week I have noticed that when I get heavy on the gas pedal, the rear sways a bit. I blame the automatic locker more than anything else. I bet if I install one of them rear sway bars all that side to side movement might be gone.

But my worry about limiting flex. It is my understanding that the sway bar will do so. Anybody knowns about this?

masscrusher said:
But my worry about limiting flex. It is my understanding that the sway bar will do so. Anybody knowns about this?

Yes...the swaybar will limit your flex a bit...but the solid on-road feel will be worth it. If you have a locker back there working for ya...the "flex" it loses for you won't be missed much.

as for losing flex, make swaybar disconnects, just a removable pin somewhere in your swaybar setup that you can pull when you lock in your hubs, presto, sway bar not limiting flex

FYI, only 84+ fj60's have the sway bar mounts on axle and holes in frame. If you have a lift get/or make longer sway bar links.

Landpimp said:
FYI, only 84+ fj60's have the sway bar mounts on axle and holes in frame.

Does anyone know exactly when that started? My 60 is a Nov '83 (1984 year model) - as always, I'm right on the stupid line and isn't an easy call.

If I crawl up under the truck, what should I be looking for? Is there a good diagram or photos anywhere (like SOR)?

I did but I don't remember now.

but look for this
65112547.jpg
65112541.jpg

swank60 said:
Does anyone know exactly when that started? My 60 is a Nov '83 (1984 year model) - as always, I'm right on the stupid line and isn't an easy call.

If I crawl up under the truck, what should I be looking for? Is there a good diagram or photos anywhere (like SOR)?

you know I ment to snap a pic the other day..........I will today.

sl33py said:
OK, another less than bright question (my specialty) -

can someone show me the swaybar all connected up on a 60? I have a 85 60 and would like to improve stability on the rear... any of them big damn pics?

thanks guys!

WAY easy, like 5-10 mins. I got mine from our 88 fj62 that had been in a accident, seen them sell for $100 for all the bits needed. If lifted you will want to buy or make extend links(I bought mine from MAF for $40)

sl33py said:
thanks pimp. So it looks relatively easy (?yes?), how much and where can you get em?

65688177.jpg

65688172.jpg

65688169.jpg

As I went around a corner last night, all the BBQ stuf dumped over on the dog..........................ARF........

This Sway system will help ??

I like the idea of a quick disconnect.
The only one I have found is new set up w/extensions...for $200..is that the going rate ??

yep it handles better on the road for sure.

Razor said:
As I went around a corner last night, all the BBQ stuf dumped over on the dog..........................ARF........

This Sway system will help ??

I like the idea of a quick disconnect.
The only one I have found is new set up w/extensions...for $200..is that the going rate ??

I bought mine on the For Sale section of this BB, paid $35 plus shipping, but had to buy the axle housing side brackets and bushings. Maybe $150 for the whole deal. Used MAF connector links to accomodate the 2-1/2" lift.

Mike S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom