Immobilizer transponder chip registering. Stuck in registration mode. HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Even if you wipe out all keys by exiting auto registration, you can still restart a new key reseeding process. And there is no fail safe mode. It is either in registration or it isn't. The B2796 history code was most likely set due to your battery dying in the registration process. You should be able to clear it w/o any problem because it is a history code. As for which chip is which, that is not my expertise. A factory ordered key resolves this issue though. Usually. Haha. There is only one way to really know if the vehicle took the keys you tried to register. And that is to exit auto registration. It is also possible that it appears to be in a fail safe because it is still in auto registration. Once it is exited it will finally show which keys are registered and which aren't. This is just speculation but it makes sense to me. Haha

According to your datalist you have one master and one sub key registered. Transponder s code value is 1 and so is m code. I say you'll be fine to exit registration manually.

According to the manual, registration will end when you cycle they key 5 times in ten seconds. But only if you have successfully registered one master key. When you put a key in, your immobilizer light should show a sequence of flashes depending on the state of the system. Either a 2-2, 2-3, or 2-1.

Thinking had shifted to both keys register, even though I could not (at the time) fully insert the uncut key shell w/FOB. Thinking along these lines is because both Valet and the new master (shell with refurbished FOB which does work door locks) will start the engine. That I'd not be able to start otherwise. But the processes needs to exit to take and go into a normal mode. Then data list should read correctly and security light work normally. Or at least allow me to start over with registration process.

Currently ether key inserted, I get security light blinking 2-2. Does that tell us something?

I did repeatedly try to exit by cycling the key on off 5 times within 10 seconds, as instructed by tech stream. So if no master register this could be reason I could not exit. BTW, I did try cycling brake pedal. No effect key out, key in or key on. So far nothing has worked to get system to exited.

From what you've said a master must be programmed to exit by cycling.

But why will both keys starter and as you pointed out @thabruiser "Transponder s code value is 1 and so is m code" Doesn't this indicate a master was registered?

Master with refurbish FOB stats the engine indicates registered.

@Mauser thinks that once a third key is registered system will auto exit. That it is still in registration as you seem to also think

Your thoughts?

BTW the battery is back up to par. Battery never got that low. But I did disconnect the cables. So that is likely when DTC popped up.

Last edited:
@PADDO is the Techstream Jedi- maybe he can help your version question.

2-2 indicates that the key inserted has already been registered. One master key is sufficient to exit auto registration. You don't need 3.

Last edited:
Btw when you cycle the key 5x, it should start in the off and end in the on position. Insert key, turn on, off on off on off on off on. (Make sure you turn it to ON and not ACCY)

Fanastic @TheBruiser All as it should be.:)

Seems I tried exiting with Valet only. You clued me to I must have a master, thanks!

I should have had a good working Master Shell Key CUT and READY w/FOB. System would not allow exit without it. Then later when I had the poorly cut Master shell key and the FOB. I must have not stopped on "ON" Or possibly I just became more involved with pass code. I Just needed to use the master cut key to exit and done.

Interesting just torching IG switch just enough to hear chime, and the uncut shell key w/FOB (transmitter) chip registered. Did not need to insert and turn just as you said. Good call @Mauser nice call!

Last edited:
I'm happy last FOB I received was correct transponder chip.
002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

004.JPG

Bumping this thread.

What does the 2-1 indicate when the key is in? I think im stuck in registration mode (Solid immobilizer) - Blinks 2-2 for my valet key which starts it. It blinks 2-1 for my cheap ebay key. Im guessing it just does not want to register? Any tips or tricks for registering the key? If not may order another or take to dealership.

Bumping this thread.

What does the 2-1 indicate when the key is in? I think im stuck in registration mode (Solid immobilizer) - Blinks 2-2 for my valet key which starts it. It blinks 2-1 for my cheap ebay key. Im guessing it just does not want to register? Any tips or tricks for registering the key? If not may order another or take to dealership.

LX470 or Land Cruiser?

Actually a Gx470

There is a good chance your key has a Toyota chip instead of Lexus. It seems to happen a lot.

How did you reset the ecu? Did you use Techstream? If the key isn't recognized during auto registration I say you don't have the right chip. If you look on Techstream it should tell you if the key is recognized.

That's what I am thinking. I am going to try a more reputable source of key fobs and see what happens to see if they register, if not, i may leave it for Lexus to figure out.

That's what I am thinking. I am going to try a more reputable source of key fobs and see what happens to see if they register, if not, i may leave it for Lexus to figure out.

Were you able to add the remote to lock/unlock the doors? If so I can help with the correct transponder chip.

Calling-all-hands:bang: I can't get new door FOB to work.

I'm working on registering a key FOB for wireless door entry, in an 06LC. Which came with one master with a working door FOB. I purchased new OEM master key w/FOB and a Valet key. I register the new master and valet into the immobilizer. I now how 3 working keys, that start the engine.

I follow the instruction in tech stream, for registering the wireless door FOB. But nothing happens! System states two registered, and two register-able ( I read as two more).

So I tried to use working FOB (locks and unlocks doors) to (erase) a FOB. Nothing happens.

Any clue as to why I can't erase or register?

Last edited:
Edited: Never mind.

Went back out today, for second try. Thinking someone may changed settings in tech stream.

I entered tech stream, looking for something that may explain not being able to set a new FOB or ease 1 of 2 current.

I saw nothing . I changed nothing. Just rooted around and activated stuff. Than I tried registering the new FOB. It worked first try. :hmm:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom