"I'm sure glad we bought this thing..." (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rolled bck into Portland last night after a road trip back home for Christmas. Put on about 4000 miles in two weeks. We left Northern Saskatchewan in heavy snow conditions and did not see clear roads until Troutdale Oregon. Close to 1700 miles in conditions that ranged from semi clear to treacherous. Last night coming down the Columbia Gorge my wife summed it up with "I'm sure glad we bought this thing" meaning of course the new to us 80.

Made a judgement call just before leaving and put a set of the Yokohama Geolander i/t's (a dedicated ice tire, 285-75-16's). These tires exceeded all expectations and expectations were high. The $700 or so dollar investment was more than worth it. (Not to mention the fun of pulling snow boaders through 18" of snow on the frozen lake.)

The 80 has earned its spot on the roster. All it needs now is a diesel...

Congrats... :cheers:

Great rig and tire choice. I'm in Felida WA, outskirts of Vancouver WA. Weather sux for most, but it's REAL nice having a cruiser in this. I just put on 305/70/16 Nitto Terra Grappler's on mine as an all around tire. So far they're excellent. PM me sometime, I'd love to check out your cruiser. There's a real active group up here. I met a couple of the guys about a month back. And also met a great guy for heavy service and mods.

In case you didn't get one from Junk before..... "Welcome :flipoff2:"

;)
Brad

squeezer, I also have a set of those yoko IT's in a 315/75R16. They do sweet work on ice and snow covered roads.
Sean

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=9610;start=msg84415#msg84415 date=1073243864]
hmm, mind must be going on holiday for the weekend.

[move] :flipoff2:W :flipoff2:E :flipoff2:L :flipoff2:C :flipoff2:O :flipoff2:M :flipoff2:E :flipoff2:[/move]
[/quote]

THERE we go. Outstanding! :flipoff2:

just put on 305/70/16 Nitto Terra Grappler's

thats the tire i want for the summer months,i just gotta find a set of rims cheap enough for me!!!!!! :D

doug

squeezer,
Welcome back home, :cheers:
I also live just outside of Portland,Or...
All of us need to hook up some time with our 80's series cruisers, swap stories and check out each others rigs... it would be a nice photo opportunity with our rigs all together too....

Shortbus,
Maybe since you made contact earlier with the locals, can you make this happen again...?
I'm game... 8)

Hey I'd also be up for getting a bunch of Portlanders together ('couver's are ok too) :D.

I was also thinking about a bunch of us getting together and having a front axle service party. any interest?

andre

Any of you guys flyfish for steelhead?

An offical welcome :flipoff2:

Glad to have you aboard......

D-

:flipoff2: Welcome! :flipoff2:

[quote author=Shortbus link=board=2;threadid=9610;start=msg84408#msg84408 date=1073242874]
I just put on 305/70/16 Nitto Terra Grappler's on mine as an all around tire. [/quote]

Any pics yet Brad?

[quote author=floatinghat link=board=2;threadid=9610;start=msg84550#msg84550 date=1073261701]
Hey I'd also be up for getting a bunch of Portlanders together ('couver's are ok too) :D.
[/quote]

Andre, I'm game... Not sure if my front axle service will be done before the "party". But, I'd be glad to sit back with a :beer: or 2 and supervise. I found a great shop to handle cruiser stuff for me, and with my sked lately and the weather, I might have them do the Birfs.

[quote author=Pokemon link=board=2;threadid=9610;start=msg84511#msg84511 date=1073257472]
squeezer,
Welcome back home, :cheers:
I also live just outside of Portland,Or...
All of us need to hook up some time with our 80's series cruisers, swap stories and check out each others rigs... it would be a nice photo opportunity with our rigs all together too....

Shortbus,
Maybe since you made contact earlier with the locals, can you make this happen again...?
I'm game... 8)
[/quote]

Pokemon...

It's these guys here>>> http://www.cascadecruisers.com/

I ran into a couple guys. Believe they have a monthly get together and other wheelin' activities. Maybe we could all hook up and crash the party. One of the two guys I met lurks here, but not too often he said.

IM me and I'll shoot you guys my phone number. We can all hook up somewhere. Since this is the microbrew capital of Earth... it's gonna have to be a place that serves good beer. Portland Brewing anyone??? :beer:

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=9610;start=msg84564#msg84564 date=1073263667]
Any pics yet Brad?
[/quote]

I'll take a couple, and try to upload them tonight or tomorrow. There gonna have to be tight shots though...... my cruiser's white and Junk would have a hay day. :flipoff2: I just got started with this thing, and I'm not into wheeling YET, so it's on the wimpy side. Still have to get the OME's coming etc. C-Dan's been keeping me busy with parts, so I've just been getting all the PM done on this thing. But, the Nittos helped the look a bunch. Lost a bit of the "mall cruiser" look by tossing the Michelins.

I'll post pix and a writeup on the tires soon. If you want some, I can hook you up. I've had a wholesale account with Discount Tire Direct for 11 years now, and they'll extend my cost on to buddies when I ask them to. IM me if you want.

Hey brad, I'm the one you ran into a while back...

Our meetings are held on the third thursday of every month, the 15th of this month. They are held at Busters Barbeque in Tigard. If you need a ride, shoot me a pm and you can hitch one with me!(that goes for anyone)

Check out the pics on the our website Shortbus posted the link! We also have a bulletin board!

If you guys get together and do a front axle service party, let me know, I'll be there!!

Nick

Shortbus,

I'm thinking of a warm weather timeframe so well have to see if it works out.

Curious what shop?

Yeah, I'm up for a beer or what ever, what area's are you guys in? I'm in Raleigh Hills

andre

[quote author=valentine link=board=2;threadid=9610;start=msg84600#msg84600 date=1073268049]
Hey brad, I'm the one you ran into a while back...

Our meetings are held on the third thursday of every month, the 15th of this month. They are held at Busters Barbeque in Tigard. If you need a ride, shoot me a pm and you can hitch one with me!(that goes for anyone)

Check out the pics on the our website Shortbus posted the link! We also have a bulletin board!

If you guys get together and do a front axle service party, let me know, I'll be there!!

Nick
[/quote]

Hey Nick,

I'll flash a PM to ya. We need to sked a get together soon. Beer/Pizza??? How about Smokeys or Rockys in Battleground. :cheers:

[quote author=floatinghat link=board=2;threadid=9610;start=msg84626#msg84626 date=1073270384]
Shortbus,

I'm thinking of a warm weather timeframe so well have to see if it works out.

Curious what shop?

Yeah, I'm up for a beer or what ever, what area's are you guys in? I'm in Raleigh Hills

andre
[/quote]

Andre,

The shop is called Over the Hill 4x4. The owner is "W" Harrold. Great guy. These guys pretty serious about wheelin'. When I was at his shop last time I saw a picture of the "Real Shortbus", Christo's 80. W said that he thought they'd wheeled with him in Moab. Here's a link to their website. The shop is kinda dirty, but that just means they're working.

http://www.overthehill4x4.com/

And here's a pic of W in his "Landcruiser"......

W-vi.jpg

"Warm weather"..... What, you planning on moving? ;)

Shortbus,

I like it when you post back to back. Just like stereo or a….. quadra-scopic!

I forget what your post was about thou!!!

keep us posted short, I am up in Bellingham but would drive down south for some birf fun. mine arent due for another 40k but Let me tell you how good I am at "supervising"!
Dave
If we are real lucky we can get riley and simon who have had everything that can go wrong on a birf repack there as well they are just over the border in BC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom