I'm looking for information on the newest or best diesel with no computer. or fuel injection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for information on the newest or best diesel with no computer and am I to assume that if fuel injected, it has a computer? I am looking for a Diesel LC (preferably 4door but will also look at 2 door models) in the event of an emp attack, it will still run. I'd love to have something I can drive now but then pass down to my son to keep for just such an occasion.

LOL that's part of my approach, you're a prepper too... I got a BJ60 with a 3B diesel. But those weren't sold in the US for 60's, only gassers. You could get an engine swap. I believe the best non-ECU diesel would be the 1HZ. The 1HD-T is the turboed version of that but I'm not sure if it has an ECU. I'm a newbie at this so there are others that could chime in with a lifetime more knowledge than I have.

A 1HZ is the the newest and best option for a non-ecu Toyota diesel. You can still get every part for them for the foreseeable future.
Not the fastest :hmm: in stock form, but a turbo can wake it up quite nicely.

all the gas stations, fuel delivery vehicles, refineries and oil wells rely on computers and electronics to function. In the event of a zombie apocalypse due to a NK high altitude nuke detonation setting off an EMP, whether or not a personal vehicle is EMP proof is irrelevant.
Joking aside, modern day computerized ECUs are so dependable that millions of vehicles use them. In fact all modern engines use them. Military vehicles use them.
The days of mechanical diesels are over. It's a worry that's no longer valid.

But from a purely aesthetic point of view, a mechanical diesel is a marvel of simplicity, so for that reason alone, they're kinda fun.

all the gas stations, fuel delivery vehicles, refineries and oil wells rely on computers and electronics to function. In the event of a zombie apocalypse due to a NK high altitude nuke detonation setting off an EMP, whether or not a personal vehicle is EMP proof is irrelevant.
Joking aside, modern day computerized ECUs are so dependable that millions of vehicles use them. In fact all modern engines use them. Military vehicles use them.

But from a purely aesthetic point of view, a mechanical diesel is a marvel of simplicity, so for that reason alone, they're kinda fun.

Whilst true, all modern cars use them, not everyone likes to or CAN work on them. My 2000 Jetta TDI is a complete pain in the #$)@ with all the sensors and laptop I have to hookup just to figure out what sensor is reading what or if it's slightly out of spec when the check engine light comes on.

My 13BT on the other hand can be bump started and run until I run out of fuel without a battery. :D

Direct injected precomputer. In order of most people’s preferences
12HT 6 cyl
13BT 4 cyl
1HZ non-turbo
3B non-turbo
I don’t know enough about this engine but it has the potential beyond them all 1HDT-FTE

I think the thought is that if everything goes down most people use gasoline and that will run out quick. Much fewer use diesel. Plus diesel is used in all the heavy equipment that will most likely be idle after SHTF so it could be salvaged for use in the remaining diesel vehicles.

I don't trust today's electronics. We've built a society around convenience, razor thin just-in-time delivery systems, not resilience. Resilience isn't even a consideration today. While I see an EMP as unlikely more than likely, it's still a possibility IMO because S will HTF when Peak Oil becomes apparent and the financial system goes down because it can't grow anymore. Also a coronal mass ejection could wreak havoc with the world's electronics. It happened 150 years ago but they didn't have miniature electronics to fry back then.

But I'm not going to live in fear, I'll just have some backup plans. And building out a fully mechanical cruiser will be fun.

In these disaster scenarios- where exactly are people driving to? I see no point in being alive if I have to live in a bomb shelter or out in the hills eating rationed amounts of quinoa. Sorry. I’d rather check out.

In these disaster scenarios- where exactly are people driving to? I see no point in being alive if I have to live in a bomb shelter or out in the hills eating rationed amounts of quinoa. Sorry. I’d rather check out.
Leaving the city to the boonies up north or on the island. 1000 km range will get you far. Owning some property out there would be ideal. You won't want to be in a big city.

Direct injected precomputer. In order of most people’s preferences
12HT 6 cyl
13BT 4 cyl
1HZ non-turbo
3B non-turbo
I don’t know enough about this engine but it has the potential beyond them all 1HDT-FTE

1HDT-FTE = E stands for Electronic. ;)

The problem with 12HT/13BT and 3B is that parts are much harder to find and a lot of them aren't available anymore. I just rebuilt my 13BT and hopefully I don't need any of those parts for a long time. Whereas the 1HZ, is still being made so you will be able to find parts for a looong time.

I'm looking for information on the newest or best diesel with no computer and am I to assume that if fuel injected, it has a computer? I am looking for a Diesel LC (preferably 4door but will also look at 2 door models) in the event of an emp attack, it will still run. I'd love to have something I can drive now but then pass down to my son to keep for just such an occasion.

WARNING> long post...

All toyota diesels are either Mechanically injected or Electronically injected.

So you have quite a few options in terms of 2/4 door and diesel...however you are importing one or buying one that has already been imported, or swapping an engine with the latter being the most labor intensive and possibly expensive.

these aren't all inclusive lists, but give you an idea of what to look at. Not too mention, Left hand drive is harder to find in most of these models. This is also assuming 25year and older for importing/buying.

40 series (I don't believe there were any factory turbo diesels, possibly in the Bandierte's from South america)
BJ40 = B/2B/3B 4 cylinder diesel, short wheel base 2 door hard/soft top
HJ40/43/43 H/2H 6 cylinder diesel, short/medium/long wheel base, pickup/troopy/soft/hard top

60 series land cruiser options (4 door)
BJ60 = 3B 4cyl diesel
HJ60 = 2H 6 cylinder diesel
HJ61 = 12H 6 cylinder direct injected turbo diesel

70 series (there are A TON of different options here)
BJ70 = 3B 4 cylinder diesel, short wheel base, 2 door, hard top or softtop
BJ71 = 13BT 4 cylinder turbo diesel short wheel base, 2 door, hard top or softtop
BJ73 = 3B 4 cylinder diesel, medium wheel base, 2 door, fiberglass FRP removable top or softtop
BJ74 = 13BT 4 cylinder turbo diesel, medium wheel base, 2 door, fiberglass FRP removable top or softtop
HZJ73 = 1HZ 6 cylinder diesel, medium wheel base, 2 door, fiberglass FRP removable top or softtop
BJ75 = 3B 4 cylinder diesel, "Troopy" long wheel base 2 door
BJ75 = 3B 4 cylinder diesel, Pickup, 2 door/bed
HZJ75 = 1HZ 6 cylinder diesel, "Toopy" long wheel base 2 door
HZJ75 = 1HZ 6 cylinder diesel, Pickup, 2 door/bed
HZJ77 = 1HZ 6 cylinder diesel, long wheel base 4 door

80 series: (much more electronics on this, but you can still find some bare bones models)
HDJ80/HDJ81 = 1HD-T 12v 6 cylinder turbo diesel, 4 door long wheel base.
HDJ80/HDJ81 = 1HD-FT 24V 6 cylinder turbo diesel, 4 door long wheel base.
HZJ80 - 1HZ 6 cylinder turbo diesel, long wheel base 4 door

Hope that helps, happy hunting!

Nothing wrong with planning.

To me the big hurdle is the shelf life of modern gasoline and diesel formulated for the US market. Even if you have access it will become unusable.

Umm. The bicycle store. Duh.

Nothing wrong with planning.

To me the big hurdle is the shelf life of modern gasoline and diesel formulated for the US market. Even if you have access it will become unusable.

Not to keep spamming this thread, but my BJ74 sat indoors for 4 years awaiting rebuild before I bought it and started to rebuild it. Diesel was left in it and it was complete varnish and gummy. Necessitated a full injector pump rebuild and injectors $$$ along with pulling the tank, cleaning and all lines. The shop that rebuilt the pump said new diesel is terrible.

Around 2006/07 I bought an HJ45 that had sat for close to 15 years with fuel in it. Put a new filter on, primed it and it started right up. This new diesel sucks for longevity.

Leaving the city to the boonies up north or on the island. 1000 km range will get you far. Owning some property out there would be ideal. You won't want to be in a big city.

You don't have to own the property if things go that sideways.

If your bump starting with dead batterys a direct injection diesel is much easier to start with no glow. Wvo is always an option
Or a gassifyer for a petrol engine.

Diesel was left in it and it was complete varnish and gummy. Necessitated a full injector pump rebuild and injectors $$$ along with pulling the tank, cleaning and all lines. The shop that rebuilt the pump said new diesel is terrible.

Around 2006/07 I bought an HJ45 that had sat for close to 15 years with fuel in it. Put a new filter on, primed it and it started right up. This new diesel sucks for longevity.

Used to work for a major manufacter of diesel engines. I sat thru a presentation regarding fuel quality done by a PhD chemist from the fuel systems group. It was scary - they went out and took diesel fuel samples all over the midwest and (1) the percent of biofuel was all over the place, and (2) all other specifications were at one max or the other.

This PhD was concerned our engine performant would suffer due to s*** quality fuel/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom