Ignition guru's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to get an ignitor/coil assembly from a '76 FJ-40, to work with my dizzy on a '84 2F. The dizzy is original to the engine, and the ignitor assy. came from plaiii, as a working used assy. The ignitor assy. has a solid black wire with a 1/8" round male plug on it, a red wire with a female spade connector. I have connected my BW wire on my vehicle from starter to +post on coil, and BY wire to ballast resistor. the otherside of ballast resistor goes to the positive post of coil. My dizzy has two wires, red & white. I connected the red from ignitor to red of dizzy, the black of ignitor to ground. OK.....heres the main ?. What do I connect the white of the dizzy to? There are no more wires from ignitor assy. Also there is a resitor block mounted to the side of coil assy. that has four wires going to it from ignitor. I know this is complicated, but I'm unable to find any schematics of the assy containing this set of resistors. Also, the wires going directly into the ignitor are, black, green, pink(brown?), white, and blue. All items are stamped toyota, so there are no aftermarket parts here. Any idea's?:confused:
Douglas

A '76 ignitor isn't going to work with a '84 electronic distributor. The signal levels are incompatible as the 76 uses points and the electronic ones use TTL level signals. 79 and up ingitors will work.

This sound like a semi electronic 76.
is there wires going to the coil + from igniter. Usually BY is positive ign on wire. and is there any wire going from coil - to the dist.
What type of dist do you have.
Anyway
BY I think you got it good.
bw ground ----- It has to be real good ground. that also good.
You also need a wire from coil - to The Dist .
So try it to coil -,
Pull a plug wire out, put the ing on but don't start.
turn engine manually and verify that you have spark. If you do then
you are good to go. Just make sure that you have good ground to the coil mounting bracket.

The coil mounting bracket shares a bolt that also hold a grounding lug from the - battery cable. The only +12VDC going to the coil + is the BW, that feeds a strong 12V during cranking. The BY feeds the +12VDC
(Run) to the + post also, only going through ballast resistor. The - post has a black from Grnd, and also goes to ignitor assy.
The only wires to the dizzy, should come from the ignitor. The ignitor, then amplifies the signal, and colapses the coil, to send the spark out. I'm afraid Pin_Head may be right. I was hoping that I could maybe ge rid of the smaller resistor block, ohm out the existing ignitor wires to their transistors, then wire according to a '84 schematic. Well......I may have an ignitor for sale then.
BTW: I tested for spark, with only the red wire connected, with no spark.
Douglas

The color code for Toyotas is:
Black/yellow strip is 12+ for ignition and engine related power.
white/black stripe is a ground wire.
You can test the coil by powering it up and momentarily grounding the - side of the coil (with the other wires disconnected). If it is good, it will spark.

You can get an appropriate ignitor in the junk yard. Any ignitor for a magnetic pickup distributor should work. If you have technical skill, you could use an op amp to amplify the magnetic pickup signal and then use that to drive a power transistor that will switch the '76 ignitor, but that is really the job that any electronic ignitor will do.

BTW, I might be interested in a spare '76 ignitor.

I agree

I reread his quetion, I was thinking a 74 dist.
The semi shouldn't work with the fully electnic. My mistake.
Vic

there is an ignitor on ebay cheap...saw it today..now go buy it and use it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom