ignition coil puked??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the cruiser started acting up, jerking, backfiring then dead...
towed it home and parked it about 2 weeks ago.
Today I finally had time to have a look at it and noticed the coil was leaking all over the place on the fender well.
This kinda took me by surprise as its an Accel super coil, only 2 years old. I had replaced wires (accel 8.8), cap, rotor and plugs during a tune up.
I replaced the coil with the cheapest one I could find and it fired right up, and runs great again...

So my question is, what could have caused the coil to puke its guts out and has anyone had this happen to them???

Yea, as a matter of fact , I just found mine in the same condition. I was at Rocky Mountains Cruisers [http://www.rockymountaincruisers.com/] and we were discussing the engine and wiring layout. I'm planning on having him do some restoration mods; and lo and behold, my Jacob's Ultra coil was leaking all over my clean right fender - dam!

Its about 7 years old and not in service, just sits there in case I need to hook it up.

Can't imagine why it leaked. My original Toy coil is still solid. Go figure.

I've checked the wires etc. no issues which would put undue stress on the coil...I'm guessing I (and you), may have been victims of poor quality control....
should have stuck with the OEM coil I guess.

I have seen coils melt down from the ign. being left in the "ON" position for too long.

Dynosoar

Well all in all its no biggie and learned a thing or two about ignition coils. I totally expected the worst with all the missing and back firing...jumped timing chain, serious valve train issues etc... and in the end it was a $30 fix that basically stuck out like a sore thumb as it sat for two weeks leaking all over the place before I had a chance to look into it in depth...cant complain about that, have to say this has been the cheapest fix of an issue yet!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom