Ignition Cylinder FJ62 / 1988 - Jammed - Rotated past ACC and Start Position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

/
- yes , passenger side front door lock cylinder
- if you have a RHD , still the " passenger side front door lock .....fyi
- the word out on the street is most USA TOYOTA dealers are NOT stocking OEM KEY blanks anymore ,, and are simply relying on old aftermarket CURTIS or ILCO cheap yellow brass , that is ZINC PLATED ....

- my local dealer is NO different ,

- for the 60 series folks , 1973-1990 FJ55 and FJ40 also , FJ , BJ , HJ 60 ,, 61 , 62

- the ALL metal common TOYOTA blank somehow is reverted back and forth from SOLID NICKLE , and Plated HIGH GRADE brass alloy ,

- if your choosing your local dealer , make sure to pre-special order the 90999-00212 , it's a 100% SOLID NICKLE Key , minus the black plastic head cast on the top , although the thin top rim IS plastic only , no metal under it ....

- the ALL 100% NICKLE Alloy is friendlier to your old tired 60 series locks ,

- make sure to flush out all EXTERIOR LOCKS using ONLY WD-40 brand WD40 , NO other lube products , this includes
NO grandmas powder graphite , this will TEAR up your TOYOTA locks inside ....

- also , remember it was only less then 60 days ago TOYOTA disc. the last 60 series lock , minus the FJ62 IGN. Lock Cylinder 69052-90A06 Drivers door lock is NKLA / Disc. now too .....
- all factory original 1973-1990 land cruiser PLANT A-11 keys were coder stamped as well that ended in 1991 80 series

- as of a few short days ago , i was going to save this for the official lock and key tech thread , 100% of ALL TOYOTA vehicle locks that roll out the Skunk-Works , Lock and key Shop are and will be hand code stamped by me .,.....
- this includes NOS full sets , if a codes is on it , and i re-code it , i polish it off dremmle and hand stamp a different location ,
- this is NO easy task and i now know why all toyota factory key code stamps look phunny ,

- TOYOTA at one time blackened all the lock faces of the IGN. ?

- the little chrome metal tag , will come on a later new OEM lock cylinder FJ62 ign. lock for example

no longer , it seams , i uses a industrial lock-smith ink for just that on the 40 , 55 and 62 column mounted cylinders i can still source ,
the writing is on the wall sadly , it seams , but over HELL or knee-deep SNOW-VERSION , i will try to keep the double edge cut saw tooth sabers alive and well

- final note : the 2023 TOYOTA Dealership charter agreement , i have recently " acquired a copy of , is VOID of north American dealers keeping the ability of making a factory key code key double edge cut style , so hence paying for the upkeep of the original 1996 issued machines by no de-funct CURTIS LLC corp,.
is no longer required , nor is investing in a new NLA / Disc. DENSO $$$$ key cutting machine , after all TOYOTAs no longer use metal keys right ............globally?

View attachment 3515556.

View attachment 3515545View attachment 3515546View attachment 3515547View attachment 3515549View attachment 3515554
View attachment 3515561

View attachment 3515587

View attachment 3515555
Matt, thanks again for this great post. I was limited to time in the USA to get the part i needed in Medellin for my FJ62. I wish i saw this before i bought the part/keys/ignition. What i would love to do is get the whole new key set (igntion, doors, gas) from you (- this includes NOS full sets , if a codes is on it , and i re-code it , i polish it off dremmle and hand stamp a different location ,) if possible. I need to have everything working perfectly and i like the sound of a good key. I really appreciate the photos and guidence.
Thank you,
Blake

Matt, thanks again for this great post. I was limited to time in the USA to get the part i needed in Medellin for my FJ62. I wish i saw this before i bought the part/keys/ignition. What i would love to do is get the whole new key set (igntion, doors, gas) from you (- this includes NOS full sets , if a codes is on it , and i re-code it , i polish it off dremmle and hand stamp a different location ,) if possible. I need to have everything working perfectly and i like the sound of a good key. I really appreciate the photos and guidence.
Thank you,
Blake

Thanks ,

I hope you can take the tech. I posted above and use it in a way that best applies to your particular and unique 60 series lock and
Key restore , and repair …

The one tid-bit for all 8/80-1990 , 60 , 61 , 62 series anything is to use the WD-40 internal lock cylinder refresh and restore technique I can’t emphasize enough , it’s a freeze-frame approach to stop the future age and time normal use factors at play here , WD-40 is from my experience non-harmful to any toyota exterior paint ..

The little red straw fits in the spring loaded shutter door like a charm too …

Doing this initially to remove the 35-45+ years of metallic bits inside is a concrete approach , just NEVER in the interior ignition lock cylinder ….

Then a simply yearly maintenance approach is your best friend long term ..

The early manual actuated and later power actuated lift-up hatch tail gate set up is the real linch pin here …😕

Nobody ever made a press-on field service cap for either one and never will , in all reality …

So making that the holy grail of care and concern is paramount…

Even if the spring loaded little shutter door spring fails , that lock working with a working key 🔑 is simply a non-replaceable part at this time. …

Last edited:
1703445194921.png

Thank you,
Blake

are you going to get the new ign. lock re-keyed to match the rest of the truck ?

if so , since it is NEW OEM i will re-key / re-code it for you if you like ... :)

i will address the NON-Black-painted lettering as well ,....:cool:

are you going to get the new ign. lock re-keyed to match the rest of the truck ?

if so , since it is NEW OEM i will re-key / re-code it for you if you like ... :)

i will address the NON-Black-painted lettering as well ,....:cool:
I would love that, once i get home i'll send a photo of the door lock key code and then send you the ignition. How do i send it to you? or i'll just buy the new one from you and use this one i have in the interm and keep it as a spare unless you can use it?

Best,
Blake

I would love that, once i get home i'll send a photo of the door lock key code and then send you the ignition. How do i send it to you? or i'll just buy the new one from you and use this one i have in the interm and keep it as a spare unless you can use it?

Best,
Blake

i would in this uniquely unique case simply accept the new OEM one as a special circumstances swap , as long as you gave me your MUD MEMBER Oath it was never installed ?

i do not and will NEVER offer pre-owned ign. locks ANY toyota , its a simple liability topic , new and NOS and well both NEW ,

installed even for one key turn is not , if you can understand that is the core roots topic , if and when that day comes ? i would have to give serious thought about even going there ? , restoring worn out trash and rubbish , some times is a step in the WRONG and dangerous direction ...

the ONLT single exception to this rule would be say a 8/80-9/82 BJ60 with reverse spring's glow feature like a BJ42 and a HJ61 with the MID range G or GLOW feature stop , because there are ZERO options out there , i had my marching shop TIG weld the inside of a BJ60 one once , then re-bore it tp oem specs.

not the most low cost solution , but there was and is still NO other , his lock failed internality same as yours , and the main housing was scored up bad ....

below is the last NOS
69057-90A11 left on the globe , unless some body posts pics , i claim this as my specimen collections verifiable sample ....HJ61

./

DIESEL GLOW.jpg

DSCN9907 (2) - Copy - Copy.png

banner xmass.jpg

1703536117195.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom