IFS steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
I'm doing a D44 SAS on a 93 T-100. I looked up the part number and the 4-wd steering box is the same as a burned 92 4-Runner I saw today at the pick and pull.
The questions I have are:
Is a IFS box strong enough to turn 35s on a solid axle?
Is there a major problem with staying with the truck style sag set up with the short relay rod or will i end up going with a custom cross-over set up anyway?
Anybody else put a D-44 SAS under a mini or 4 skinner? what have you done with the steering.

All Pro's Hy-steer kit requires that you change out the steering gear on pre-86 trucks. I know pleanty of people that are using the Toyota power steering gear with 35's, 36's and 38.5's. You should not have any problems. Just make sure that you do not get boned with a gear that has had the seals cooked out of it from a fire... ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=19;threadid=9385;start=msg81816#msg81816 date=1072753814]
All Pro's Hy-steer kit requires that you change out the steering gear on pre-86 trucks. I know pleanty of people that are using the Toyota power steering gear with 35's, 36's and 38.5's. You should not have any problems. Just make sure that you do not get boned with a gear that has had the seals cooked out of it from a fire... ;)

Good luck!

-Steve
[/quote]

Thanks. C-dan hooked me up with the part numbers of the seal kit if I go this route. i like the idea of mounting it to the stock location, especially since the steering shaft appears to be the same and I can get that too.

hammerhead- does your buddy have bumpsteer with the GM or toyota? The big issue I've heard about today with the GM is that the steering radius changes with axle droop.

Both, actually it's a Chev axle (D44) under Toy truck. He claims the crossover steering "settled" the behavior of the rig in the rough and also mentioned the change in radius during full articulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom