If you were to start over....what Gear is essential (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A big ice chest to place everything that you want to be and remain cold. A comfy sleeping pad. I LOVE cots in temperate (avoe 40 degrees), bug free weather. Easy to set up.

I cant believe I waited so long to buy an ARB fridge. Money well spent and I only camp 15-20 nights a year. I also switched to a Blackstone griddle. It is great for cooking meals for a family.

I have yet to meet a person that regretted buying a fridge. Many that are skeptical but no regrets

I have yet to meet a person that regretted buying a fridge. Many that are skeptical but no regrets
Many years ago I was arm-twisted into borrowing a fridge for a Baja trip. I was skeptical. After that trip I don't think I was home more than 3 hours before I ordered my own. Not going back to an ice chest. Not going back to a ground tent.

I was in denial for years as many others now I own 3 fridges and will not travel without one.

I'm 37 and went through my gear phase a while back. I have an entire room that rivals the best REI full of gear. It's too much s***...

I got smart a few years ago and just built a Cabin to simplify everything. It's not totally done but I can take my time now that it's dried in. Now I just need to hit up the liquor and grocery store and I'm off. Now I enjoy going camping because I don't have to deal with all the gear. It's nothing but a burden to deal with so much s***...

No set up, no tear down, etc. etc. etc...
20181006_153110.jpg

I take pride in minimalism. I have no fridge, no cooler. I eat rice & beans, oatmeal, onions and dried fruits when I'm overlanding. I don't even bring a tent. So the essentials doesn't take much room.
IMG_20170812_063340.jpg

I do give in and bring a toilet and a outhouse tent.

Another vote for the megamat 10. Like it so much carry 4 of the megamat 7.5 when we backpack. If you aren’t backpacking then I use a real 2 burner stove. I have a griddle/cook top combo. Also forget waisting $$$$$ on a Gucci rotomoulded cooler or soft side. Also as for water, I don’t lug around a ton of water. Just a 5 gallon camp style jug and a MSR guardian filter and UV pen, Endless water that way.

Think of heat storage management as well as gear. Before we had a camper I ran double Yakama boxes up top and either a NS-4 bike rack or gear trey on the hitch.

Everyone has their own version of "essential" and there are some great suggestions so far. As far as sleeping, I know a lot of people who upgrade their ground tent experience with cots successfully, however this definitely reduces cuddling with a SO (I mean sharing body heat).
For sleeping bags I have definitely enjoyed having a couple thin flannel sleeping bag liners. They can add a lot of additional warmth inside a sleeping bag, or be used alone as light bag for warmer weather (or zipped together) and take up very little space.

Certainly experiment getting tools that work for you, EDC knife, hatchet, saw etc. And obviously there are other threads with recovery gear etc.

Have multiple firestarting options.

I prefer lots of different lighting options, and a lot of people are going to the string type LEDs, like illuminoodle (sp?) which, if nothing else, have the option to change to a non white color and reduce the insect guests.

As far as food, I like to eat well, but I'm also lazy, so I tend to prefer to prepare stuff before I go (with the exception of things like steak tips or veggies) I'll often make a bunch of meatballs, for example, which can be eaten cold of hot, alone or with sauce or on a sandwich and so forth, and don't take up a lot of space. I do premade shepherd's pies too, in little disposable loaf pans. You get the idea.

At this point I not only have a fridge, but also a roto-molded beverage cooler as well. That said, I went out for several days with a minimalist friend last year and slept in a cheap ground tent with a regular sleeping bag and drank warm bear and subsisted on poptarts and cold chef boyardee and was totally content. Do whatever you want with good friends and great destinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom