If you can live with quick ratio and the price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those that are looking for a Saginaw power steering box for their latest project I ran across this:

It is a brand new box with 4 mounting bosses. It is manufactured by Borgeson. The only down side I could find was that it comes with a quick ration gear set of 12.7:1 or about 3 turns lock to lock. I contacted them about offering it with a lower gear ratio and was told not going to happen for now.

I bring this up because if they get enough request for a slower gear ration they just may build it. Now I don't know about you but it took me quite a bit of searching before I was able to find a 4 mounting boss power steering box for my power steering conversion. Borgenson is "Saginaw" so they could/should be the ones we look to in solving the dwindling parts supply.

FYI - It does come with ¾”-30 spline input shaft . Did I forget to mention that it comes with the brass adapters so you can run O-ring or flare fittings?

I

Absolutely nothing wrong with the three bolt boxes, in fact gm frequently used four bolt boxes and only installed three bolts, never put the fourth bolt hole in the frame.

In the world of hydraulics - flow = go.
Limit the supply pressure and you can fine tune your saginaw setup. Larger pulley and a restricting orifice will help in the area of assist. It's nothing new, Gearheads have been doing it for years.
Awesome find on the box, not sure what advantages it has that aren't already out there other than being a new casting and internals.

Fj60 boxes have 4 bolts and the right ratio.

D

Saginaw 17.5:1 standard
13.5:1 quick ratio

4 turn Saginaw boxes are the preferred... faster ratio and over boosted will have you doing lane changes if you sneeze. Many have used them and get used to the ratio... if your pump fails they’re a bear.

Edit: a bit more research and I found many different ratios... but the numbers give perspective.

Did I miss a link?
If we are going to put in requests for a lower ratio, it’d be helpful.

I’ve already got a three tab 4.25 turn Scout II Saginaw box, so my course is already plotted... I so wish I was already there :(

I want to start compiling parts for the power steering conversion this summer. So the major consensus is 4 turn box? I haven't fond much on 3 turn boxes. My 2003 GM truck is a 3 turn truck, so I guess I am wondering the difference needed for an FJ40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom