Ideas for improving the 2LTE (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi GTS,

Good luck with your engine and getting a bit more power out of it. With respect to mine I am lucky that the original head has not cracked yet. Hopefully the original owners were not too hard on it. It has 137,xxx on it currently. It was a good deal because the lady that was selling it was moving out of the country (Canada) and just wanted to get rid of it (imagine). Anyway I knew pretty much nothing about them until I went and looked at it and didn't know it had the 2LTE until I brought it home and figured out how to get to the engine (I was hoping for a mechanical 3L). This may sound crazy and perhaps it is but my goal is to put a newer (3L, KZ, 5L) Toyota diesel into my 1976 Volvo wagon. I think it would really make for a great combo if I could figure out how to do it.

Anyway i'm looking at some of the easier mods. 1st thing i'll do once it's on the road is take apart the emissions and turbo system and clean them and remove the unnecessary parts and get the exhaust temp gauge. The bleeder valve mentioned earlier in this thread looks like an easy and effective mod as well. I will post my updates and results.

Hi GTS,

Good luck with your engine and getting a bit more power out of it. With respect to mine I am lucky that the original head has not cracked yet. Hopefully the original owners were not too hard on it. It has 137,xxx on it currently. It was a good deal because the lady that was selling it was moving out of the country (Canada) and just wanted to get rid of it (imagine). Anyway I knew pretty much nothing about them until I went and looked at it and didn't know it had the 2LTE until I brought it home and figured out how to get to the engine (I was hoping for a mechanical 3L). This may sound crazy and perhaps it is but my goal is to put a newer (3L, KZ, 5L) Toyota diesel into my 1976 Volvo wagon. I think it would really make for a great combo if I could figure out how to do it.

Anyway i'm looking at some of the easier mods. 1st thing i'll do once it's on the road is take apart the emissions and turbo system and clean them and remove the unnecessary parts and get the exhaust temp gauge. The bleeder valve mentioned earlier in this thread looks like an easy and effective mod as well. I will post my updates and results.

Sounds like you got a really good deal there! Nice to hear it has no history of problems! That is the best situation possible to start out in. With your knowledge now you can make the necessary modifications and drive appropriately and you should never have any problems. Any idea if the timing belt job has ever been done on it?

As nice as the 3L would have been for reliability, your 2LTE makes a lot more power. So for a bit of hassle in making it reliable, in the long run it'll make driving more enjoyable.

As bad a rap as the 2LTE has on this forum, I absolutely love mine. Mine has also never had a head problem. It makes good power, is smooth and quiet. Really they are a well built and strong engine with the exception of the heat problems. If Toyota had scrapped the emissions equipment, and installed an intercooler from the factory this engine would have a completely different reputation IMHO.

Sounds like you have your modifications plans in good order. Those are definitely the right items to start with.

Your Volvo project sounds pretty neat! Would be very unique with a Toyota engine, thats for sure. You'll find they are pretty pricey to import though. Have you considered a MB engine like the OM617 for your Volvo? Might be an easier swap, and certainly cheaper and easier to find.

Yeah it was a good deal I only paid 500 for the van so if it ends up overheating I only have that into it. It is in great shape too, just a few minor things to take care of (window motor died for passenger window and missing a rear bumper (going to have one made).

I will look at adding an intercooler a bit later when I have the funds but for now I just need to get it registered and do the basic mods.

The volvo project is certinally unique if anything else. I'll post a picture of it here in a bit. I had it custom painted to match the pigment molecule from blue green algae ha. You see it coming from a mile away. I am still researching what kind of engine is ideal. I have been looking at some of the Isuzu engines as well they seem good and somewhat available. I'm looking for long term reliability in an engine. I haven't looked at the MB engines much. I used to have a 240D and had problems starting in the winter, maybe a one off experience but it kind of turned me off to the brand, but then again it was an 82, maybe it was just too old and at the end of its life.

Just reading more about the engines and it seems like the PZ engine would be best suited to my "vision" with the volvo. Good reviews lots of power but not too much like the 6 cylinder engines. Now where would I ever find one and what kind of vehicle would it be in? I am going to start sourcing a bit.

I would like to get as much help as possible . Im following your steps for making my 2lt swap engine run smooth as possible.EGR done, cooling systeme done,suspension done. The dowpipe, exhaust and Watercooler still pending.

Grea post..... its a perfect guide to make every 2LT engine more reliable and improve performance a bit.

I would like to get as much help as possible . Im following your steps for making my 2lt swap engine run smooth as possible.EGR done, cooling systeme done,suspension done. The dowpipe, exhaust and Watercooler still pending.

Hey, thanks a lot! I actually need to update this thread a bit since I've done my exhaust and intercooler, as I've learned/verified a few more things. Here is a thread you can read about my intercooler: https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/745872-lj78-air-water-intercooler-working.html It completely transformed my vehicle. No worries about EGT's again ever! Probably the single best modification I've made to the engine!

Hi Guys,
I have just join your forum after reading up on the heating issues of the 2LTE Motor.
I bought a LJ78 Cruiser but the motor over heated and is currently in spares. (I must mention here that I will be using the vehicle in Zambia where it is generally very, very hot.)
I have seen a lot of these cruisers around and most of them have been spotted next to the road and not on them :whoops: This was certainly dew to heating problems.

Anyway I will check the head and replace it if I need be, but the Idea that I have at the moment is to fit an uprated ball bearing turbo along with an intercooler (air to air) and a charge cooler (water to air cooler) when I rebuild the motor.
Has anybody tried this combination before with any success? I also want to mention that I am willing to build a custom intake and exhaust manifolds if I have to, to make my conversion work.

I have seen guys adding the charge cooler and the intercoolers boosting upto 16psi but I have seen very little being said about the actual power figure increases i.e. torque etc.

Your thoughts please gentleman.

Hi Guys,
I have just join your forum after reading up on the heating issues of the 2LTE Motor.
I bought a LJ78 Cruiser but the motor over heated and is currently in spares. (I must mention here that I will be using the vehicle in Zambia where it is generally very, very hot.)
I have seen a lot of these cruisers around and most of them have been spotted next to the road and not on them :whoops: This was certainly dew to heating problems.

Anyway I will check the head and replace it if I need be, but the Idea that I have at the moment is to fit an uprated ball bearing turbo along with an intercooler (air to air) and a charge cooler (water to air cooler) when I rebuild the motor.
Has anybody tried this combination before with any success? I also want to mention that I am willing to build a custom intake and exhaust manifolds if I have to, to make my conversion work.

I have seen guys adding the charge cooler and the intercoolers boosting upto 16psi but I have seen very little being said about the actual power figure increases i.e. torque etc.

I've never seen a setup with both an air/air and a water/air intercooler, seems like a lot of unneccesary cost, complication, and clutter to me. If you do one or the other properly, it will get the job done nicely for you. Use the KISS theory (keep it simple stupid), or you'll just increase the chances that you'll be on the side of the road as well.

Hi Guys,

As said, just keep to one intercooler, and build it well. There would be no advantage to having two intercooler systems.

If you go to a custom turbo, consider the garrett turbos off the Mercedes and BMW of similar displacement (2.5l-3.0l CRD engines).

Also consider going to a mechanical injection pump instead of the electronic one. This really simplifies things.

There is a fellow in finland who claims 150hp 310NM here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=4458973&postcount=583 I assume that is measured at the wheels, which means he is making a LOT of power. But it is much colder in Finland, so probably easier on the engine.

I think I'm making around 130hp at the flywheel on my 2lte. And probably around 240ft/lb torque. I removed all the emissions and throttle plate. I added a water/air intercooler, and turned up the boost and fuel nearly as much as I could. I also have 2.5" free flow exhaust. MUCH more power than factory with MUCH lower EGT's. It's like driving a petrol engine now. Don't have to think about hills anymore (unless towing). Just put the pedal down and go.

All that said, you'd probably be better looking into an HZJ80 or HZJ78 or something like that. Than you don't have to fiddle around trying to make the 2LTE powerful and reliable.

wicked write up Nick. I'm going to be putting my rebuilt 2LTE into my 92' Surf this week, its getting 3" turbo-back exhaust right away, boost gauge, manual boost controller, pyro gauge, water temp gauge, all I need to source is a bleed off valve for the air speed mod in the sensor line.

wicked write up Nick. I'm going to be putting my rebuilt 2LTE into my 92' Surf this week, its getting 3" turbo-back exhaust right away, boost gauge, manual boost controller, pyro gauge, water temp gauge, all I need to source is a bleed off valve for the air speed mod in the sensor line.

Thanks Leboe! Good to see you on these forums. Good on you for rebuilding and continuing on with your Surf. One last thing you should really consider is an intercooler, take a look at this thread from a guy in Regina Sask: http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31802&hilit=intercooler He did a really nice simple install that worked out very well for him.

Thanks for bumping this thread. Reminds me that I really need to update my write up again. I've learned a lot since I first wrote that.

i was wondering what is the best turbo tho strap to my 2l-te

To tell the truth, I've found that the stock turbo actually is a lot better than I thought it was. I am pushing 16psi with a very efficient intercooler (probably equivalent to 18psi without). Turbo spools quickly, and can hold 16psi to 4000rpm no problem (and probably higher; I don't push the rpms any higher). Under load it makes full boost as low as 2000rpm. As far as I can tell I'm not over spinning it. Really, what more could you want? Maybe a little more turbo efficiency, but with a good intercooler it doesn't matter that much. Wasn't worth the hassle of an upgrade as far as I was concerned.

I think with the stock 2lte configuration, the CT20A is actually a little over sized and a bit slow to spool. Makes it easily capable of taking upgrades though.

I have bought a progressive methanol/water injection system and will be installing that soon. I will have one nozzle placed before the turbo compressor. I'll report how that works out. I expect faster spooling, better turbo efficiency and a cooler turbo.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put the nozzle before the comp wheel. You want to put it directly after the intercooler or at the entrance so the vapour has little chance to liquefy and pool. It can also wear away your compressor wheel blades after awhile

I wouldn't put the nozzle before the comp wheel. You want to put it directly after the intercooler or at the entrance so the vapour has little chance to liquefy and pool. It can also wear away your compressor wheel blades after awhile

The pre-compressor nozzle is one of two total. I'm running the smallest nozzle possible before the compressor (63ml/min), which from my reading will not cause issues with compressor errosion, or pooling etc. I'm placing it there to help the turbo efficiency. I'm running a large nozzle just after the intercooler which is the main injection nozzle (252ml/min) which will yield the primary benefits of water/meth injection (cooling intake charge, added power with the methanol, etc.). At the end of the day, looking for more power with the same or less heat.

The reading I've done on the topic showed there were certainly gains to be had from spraying water pre-turbo, but you need to make sure you have it positioned correctly, and that the water is atomized or it will erode the fins of the compressor. Seems risky for a daily driver IMO, turbos aren't cheap.

I wouldn't do it, put the nozzle after your intercooler.

...via IH8MUD app

I wouldn't do it, put the nozzle after your intercooler.

...via IH8MUD app

I am putting one after the intercooler for sure (see my description of the system a couple posts up). Pre-turbo one is still to be determined I suppose...you guys are making me reconsider it. I've heard very good things, and very bad things. Depends on the setup.

I am putting one after the intercooler for sure (see my description of the system a couple posts up). Pre-turbo one is still to be determined I suppose...you guys are making me reconsider it. I've heard very good things, and very bad things. Depends on the setup.

The problem is, it could be very good, right up to the point that it's very bad, and then your turbo is pooched. All it takes is something falling into the resevoir and jamming in a nozzle, and the water doesn't atomize properly, and game over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom