ideas for fj40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently in the process of building up an fj40. So far I have a 2004 5.3 vortec and 4l60e transmission. Picking up a front d60/14 bolt rear out of a m1008 4.56 gears rear locker. Now I am in search of a Transfer case. Looking at an atlas right now. Any opinions on what ratios would be good? Looking at running 40" tires.

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited:
Picking up a front d60/14 bolt rear out of a m1008 4.56 gears rear locker. Now I am in search of a Transfer case. Looking at an atlas right now. Any opinions on what ratios would be good? Looking at running 40" tires.

What transmission are you planning to use? What kind of offroading do you do?

Picking up a front d60/14 bolt rear out of a m1008 4.56 gears rear locker. Now I am in search of a Transfer case. Looking at an atlas right now. Any opinions on what ratios would be good? Looking at running 40" tires.

ATLAS OR STAK my 2cents...

What transmission are you planning to use? What kind of offroading do you do?

Using the 4l60e. I am going to use it for rock crawling, so I know I need to be around 50:1, but also would like to trail ride some also.
Just looking for a good balance. I know I can get something around a 3.8 transfer case and get down to 53.1. Just wanted some opinions, on what other people were running as far as cases and ratios. I have never ran an auto before.

Using the 4l60e. I am going to use it for rock crawling, so I know I need to be around 50:1, but also would like to trail ride some also.
Just looking for a good balance. I know I can get something around a 3.8 transfer case and get down to 53.1. Just wanted some opinions, on what other people were running as far as cases and ratios. I have never ran an auto before.

It sounds to me that you are on the right path.

My personal choice is the D300 to go with my 700R4. Same specs as your tranny. I would go Atlas if I could afford it. I will end up being around 40:1. But we don't have much rock crawling here, just lots of mud and snow.

stock dana 300 (2.6:1) gears and my 700r4 is perfect for Romping around in the snow, and on the county roads, but too high for Crawling. still works, but id love to go slower!

id love to get a 3 speed Stak in there at some point with 2:1 and 4:1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom