Ideas for Adding auxillary 12V DC & 115V AC outlets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You may want to be cautious about the crockpot. Many inverters specifically warn against a resistive load being applied, i.e. something with a heating element. Not quite sure whether a crockpot is in that category, but a toaster is.:)
Thx but I'm good to go with mine.

It is interesting the have a warning because a resistive load should be the simplest load for an inverter to handle since the load and the voltage are in phase. It is usually a large and steady draw but a 1200 watt toaster is a 1200 watt load so as along as the inverter is rated for the load there should be no problem.

Inductive and capacitive loads are a bit more complex.

Why are you bothering going from 12V DC to 115V AC for your laptop? Most laptops run around 19V DC, much more efficient going from 12V DC to 19V DC, that what we have done in Dads VDJ79

Thank you, how did you accomplish the bump up. :cheers:

Last edited:
115v Oulets from Schurter

Part # 4300.0703
CIMG0176.jpg
CIMG0178.jpg
CIMG0179.jpg

Wire are run through each brass fitting and then to back is clipped on. This creates a safe connection... these were only a couple $ each. I have 6 :grinpimp:

Now to find the right inveter.

Any thoughts on GFCI outlets protection to prevent shock?

I have been looking into them as a couple of the inveters that I have researched reference specific GFCI to use with there products. No decesion yet though..

Very cool thread.

Glad the parts worked out!

Looking forward to the finished work....

Thanks Beno & CDan.

I think I have all the right parts, especially the Taco Bed plug. Working on making up the harness for it and the Matrix plug.

Any thoughts on GFCI outlets protection to prevent shock?

I have been looking into them as a couple of the inveters that I have researched reference specific GFCI to use with there products. No decesion yet though..

GFCI tends to be fairly sensitive to voltage/current changes. So I could see it tripping thinking theres a problem when there isn't actually one.

That being said, there are many power inverters out there that do use GFCI outlets.

Thank you for this thread! It should hopefully go into the FAQ section.

My only hesitation is that those darn sliding windows have a tenancy to leak and i would hate all those electronics to get water in them!

GFCI tends to be fairly sensitive to voltage/current changes. So I could see it tripping thinking theres a problem when there isn't actually one.

That being said, there are many power inverters out there that do use GFCI outlets.

A GFCI monitors/trips on the balance between the hot and neutral I dont see voltage/current change having any effect on sensitivity. :confused:

Another 12v source...

Just thought I'd give you guys another source for 12v sockets and accessories.

I've used Jim at Eastern Beaver many times and he always comes thru'. Stuff ships from Japan but I usually get it in a week. He also has a lot of other cool electrical 12v stuff for different projects.

Rgds...

Power Socket Wiring Kits for Motorcycles, cheap worldwide shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom