Idea for OBD Plug for Scan Gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wxm

Threads
Got a Scan Gauge II today, and was searching this board for an installation idea for the OBD/Plug. Here are what I found so far:

(1) Some unmount the port from the fuse box, and push it back behind the dash. It seems to be a good choice. But I don't like to keep the port hanging, so I will need to find a place (with easy access) to mount it.

(2) Some flip it 90 degree (make the port face down), and screw the port back on (with the other set of mounts). I don't seem to be able to fit it perfectly, plus it covers up a couple of fuses, will make check/replace fuses a harder job.

(3) Saw a picture with fuse cover cut out for the plug - Personally, I don't like to lose the "OEM" look.

Preference or other suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
I unmounted the plug and have it hanging loose in front of the fuse panel connected to the scan gauge cord. You can kind of wedge it behind one side of the opening and the cover closes fine. I did adjust the tabs on the cover a little for a tighter fit.

It's pretty easy to relocate the connector behind the fuse block. I was able to attach mine with one screw and one tiewrap. It's still very easy to get to for smog purposes or whatever. Very difficult to get a good shot this close though:
12-08 014 (Small).jpg

I unscrewed mine and left it loose behind the cover, but the cover didn't fit flush and kept popping off. I took my dremel and ground down a couple of spots on the back of the cover and it fits great now.

I got some nylon spacers from home depot. (Basically white plastic tubes.) Moved the plug back using the spacers and rebolded it in the same holes.

Plug is bolted where a tech would expect to find it (except an inch or so further back), fuse cover snaps back into place. All looks OEM.

I'm going to change my mounting to use nylon spacers to set back the obd plug. That's best solution I've heard of.

Mount with Nylon Spacers

Just finished the mount with Nylon Spacers suggested by aktundra. Similar to his idea, except in my case, the plug won't go through the hole even though the port is mounted further back. So instead of using space to push the port back, I applied the spacer to the fuse penal, by moving the fuse penal back by about 1/2", I was able to flip the port 90 face down, as the fuses had been pushed back, the plug can just stay on top freely. :cheers:
IMG_2103.jpg

It has been awhile since I did the install, but now that you mention it, the plug is in a rather bulky housing, and it is hard to get the plug housing "inside" the dash. I was going to use my dremel and a course sanding drum to cut back the plastic mounting tabs in the dash a bit to widen the opening.

But I ended up just fastening the dash side of the plug finger tight, then used a pocket knife to widen the plastic opening a little and I was able to wiggle the plug in. Once it was secure I finished tighening the mounting bolts.

Sounds tricky, but it can be done in the Home Depot parking lot. (don't ask me how I know)

Sorry for not being more specific and knocking back a quick reply. Sounds like you find another way to use the nylon spacers for this install.

i just unbolted mine and pushed it farther back. there's not a lot of room to play and by the time you get the gauge plugged in, it's wedged pretty well, so it isn't really dangling loosely.

Great Info!

THX M8 :hillbilly:

Just finished the mount with Nylon Spacers suggested by aktundra. Similar to his idea, except in my case, the plug won't go through the hole even though the port is mounted further back. So instead of using space to push the port back, I applied the spacer to the fuse penal, by moving the fuse penal back by about 1/2", I was able to flip the port 90 face down, as the fuses had been pushed back, the plug can just stay on top freely. :cheers:

I did #2 on both 80's. The fuse cover doesn't sit totally flush on the LX which bugs me a little. I might have to do the spacer like you did to fix it.:)

I did the same with mine. Works great!

Holy cow guys, why not make up a dedicated cable, use a low profile connector and permanently wire the thing in? This way, you can use the Scangauge and the nice cable to pull another vehicle's code!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom