I was promised airplanes... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Own a 1946 J3 Piper Cub with a 90hp engine fly in the Colorado high country and Utah desert. Plus a 1972 FJ40

IMG_0330.JPG

I started out planning to be pilot. Started at a flying school and as weird as this sounds, did not like it once the cross country work started!

So I walked across the floor and became an AME(A&I). Been doing that for over 25 years. I absolutely love wrenching on airplanes, I am a M1,M2 licensed guy, so small and big aircraft. But my area of specialty is the small ones, up to 12,500 TO weight. Twin Otters, Single Otters, Beavers, King Air, Navajos, Caravan, Cessna 100 series and a bunch of other little ones.

But I will be honest, sometimes I wish I continued flying. When I started there were few jobs around, in Canada at least. But my buddies that were doing it the same time are all now left seats on the big boys. So if I stayed I would be making nice coin, but would I be liking it?

I can watch aircraft TO and land all day! I have been looking at Cessna 172's as a possible first purchase the past year or so though, but I would have to liquidate a bunch of other toys or :princess: would kill me!

@greenbeast, that 421 is beautiful!

I started out planning to be pilot. Started at a flying school and as weird as this sounds, did not like it once the cross country work started!

So I walked across the floor and became an AME(A&I). Been doing that for over 25 years. I absolutely love wrenching on airplanes, I am a M1,M2 licensed guy, so small and big aircraft. But my area of specialty is the small ones, up to 12,500 TO weight. Twin Otters, Single Otters, Beavers, King Air, Navajos, Caravan, Cessna 100 series and a bunch of other little ones.

But I will be honest, sometimes I wish I continued flying. When I started there were few jobs around, in Canada at least. But my buddies that were doing it the same time are all now left seats on the big boys. So if I stayed I would be making nice coin, but would I be liking it?

I can watch aircraft TO and land all day! I have been looking at Cessna 172's as a possible first purchase the past year or so though, but I would have to liquidate a bunch of other toys or :princess: would kill me!

@greenbeast, that 421 is beautiful!

Thanks, It has been quite the year of ownership. Logged around 150 hours first year. Took the family last April to the Bahamas and had heckuva time. It has definitely elevated my flying as it requires your full attention at times. It has proven to be reliable (most of the time) comfortable and quiet. Although probably costs a little more to maintain it cost me half the price of a Cirrus, is pressurized and pretty fast. I love that second engine over the mountains which is pretty much everytime I leave home.

However I do wish I had the coin to buy a small 182 or something to fly low and slow in.

Thanks, It has been quite the year of ownership. Logged around 150 hours first year. Took the family last April to the Bahamas and had heckuva time. It has definitely elevated my flying as it requires your full attention at times. It has proven to be reliable (most of the time) comfortable and quiet. Although probably costs a little more to maintain it cost me half the price of a Cirrus, is pressurized and pretty fast. I love that second engine over the mountains which is pretty much everytime I leave home.

However I do wish I had the coin to buy a small 182 or something to fly low and slow in.

Whats your typical altitude and speed when on a 2-3 hr leg? 150 hrs in the first year of ownership is quite impressive, lots of private owners are pressed to exceed 50hrs!

I am currently teaching at a college, instructing todays youth in aircraft maintenance:bang: :deadhorse:, lol. I am trying to acquire a 340 for the program. I always liked the Cessna twins, streamlined and attractive looking aircraft. I teach a 2 month recip engine program, 2 week sheet metal repair and 2 week fuel systems course.

Personally, a 185 would be the ultimate choice, satisfies all requirements for me, if I could afford one :cry:

Whats your typical altitude and speed when on a 2-3 hr leg? 150 hrs in the first year of ownership is quite impressive, lots of private owners are pressed to exceed 50hrs!

I am currently teaching at a college, instructing todays youth in aircraft maintenance:bang: :deadhorse:, lol. I am trying to acquire a 340 for the program. I always liked the Cessna twins, streamlined and attractive looking aircraft. I teach a 2 month recip engine program, 2 week sheet metal repair and 2 week fuel systems course.

Personally, a 185 would be the ultimate choice, satisfies all requirements for me, if I could afford one :cry:

I usually fly east at 23k and plan on 210 knots. I'm able to put 1200 pounds in the plane which includes my wife, 2 teenage kids and 2 labs and fly nonstop to Oklahoma from NW Colorado nonstop and have my legal reserves ( hour of fuel at least left over). Depending on the winds coming home I will fly 20k.

I would have never considered a twin Cessna before I flew in one. The 340 was just too small. As I am sure you are aware that the geared engines GTSIO-520's turn the prop at a much lower RPM. In cruise I fly at 1800 rpm which makes the back so quiet my family don't wear headsets. For the money I don't think there is a more capable aircraft. Known ice, Seats 4-5 in back and 2 upfront, pressurized and likes to fly high. Single engine performance is nice also. Although I hope I never have to shut one down I know it will fly on one and the handling on one engine is quite benign compared to other twins. I'm a believer for sure.

Still flying for a living, but the end is in sight.

2F43333D-4088-4BB6-9922-18DA38B3B0D1.jpeg

ABE4DDB2-A818-485E-B1C6-6401B9D3B813.png

87F50954-1BE3-48AA-88B5-462EDCFFC749.png

F3CB3C95-46E6-4E97-9E16-96B6E76AF1EB.jpeg

Last edited:
2004, 16th birthday, had to solo before the parents would let me get my drivers license. Finished up with my private on my 17th.

View attachment 2516902

View attachment 2516931
Great job young man!!
Take that aircraft to Miami County and eat some BBQ at We-B-Smoking. Great people and I use to visit them on occasion when I lived in Tulsa.
Keep flying every chance you can!

Great job young man!!
Take that aircraft to Miami County and eat some BBQ at We-B-Smoking. Great people and I use to visit them on occasion when I lived in Tulsa.
Keep flying every chance you can!

Love that fly in! Always a great Sunday funday adventure and who does not love bbq.
🍻

I bought a Cherokee 140/160 so that my son could build hours. Since I had a plane I figured I should get my ppl.
CF8906C8-F249-4E0D-97AD-6513C90EFF2B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom