I want to DIY a roof rack, but I want to purchase pre-made mounts/gaskets. Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question!

Can I use this sealant for the rack brackets that bolt into the roof or is there a better product I should be using?

6F87DE48-FBBC-47CE-A58A-E0343207D5CA.jpeg

Progress!
I put off the painting because (duh) I need to measure and cut the cross bars first. But that requires the roof mounts and side rails being fitted. So that got done today! Factory rack was a breeze to take off. I was super worried about it but nothing broke and nothing fell inside the roof. You have to put some elbow grease on the bolts though because the sealant from the factory is holding them in.
As for the Gamiviti mounts, I’m pretty pumped about them. You put the middle one at the lowest setting and then adjust the front and rear until everything matches up. As you can see, I has to bring the front and back up 2 notches each. Now I’ll drill the holes in the side rails, mock mount them, and measure/cut the cross bars.

37C665D4-F991-4AFB-AE95-A2B546E435A9.jpeg

AA85DD77-7A08-42D1-ADDF-A8824B910779.jpeg

AFBF9B37-F81F-446F-894C-55FCD7BDF303.jpeg

CE1272F0-E331-48A7-AF4F-0E2BFD81AEDE.jpeg

387C4075-903C-4323-BC4B-A07EAAA18A4B.jpeg

Where exactly do you apply the gasket maker? Around the OD of the yellow plastic standoffs?

How does the angle aluminum feel? Sturdy? Does it block the sunroof I can't tell?
It feels very sturdy! I just had it sort of mock mounted to do the measurements and I was leaning all over it. No movement or flexing etc. Wouldn’t hesitate to stand on it for sure. The first couple of bars do go over the sun roof but they are far enough up that they won’t get in the way of the tilting motion. But yeah, if you had a large object mounted up there it would cover that up.

Where exactly do you apply the gasket maker? Around the OD of the yellow plastic standoffs?
In the factory setup the black rubber washer seals the bolt head to the top of the bracket, then you use gasket maker between the bottom of the bracket and the roof. The only thing that is on the threads is blue thread locker. You wouldn’t apply anything to the yellow parts. This may be different than his aftermarket mounts, but from the pictures they look similar. I would stick to the factory process as I suspect it uses the least gasket maker possible.

In the factory setup the black rubber washer seals the bolt head to the top of the bracket, then you use gasket maker between the bottom of the bracket and the roof. The only thing that is on the threads is blue thread locker. You wouldn’t apply anything to the yellow parts. This may be different than his aftermarket mounts, but from the pictures they look similar. I would stick to the factory process as I suspect it uses the least gasket maker possible.
I guess they’re different. Gamiviti’s instructions are to use sealant/gasket maker on the threads of the bolt and then use that sealing washer between the bracket and the roof. Obviously they’re not Toyota, so we will see how this holds up over time.

Looks good, are you going to add a fairing?
Thanks!
I’m looking into it. I’m hoping the standalone Gamiviti fairing could be mounted on somehow.

Total cost is $4-450. The Gamiviti mounts alone are $210. Everything else came out to about $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom