I test drove a Land Cruiser today - first drive in one since 1977 - EDIT: On order (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slow Paddler

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
Today I drove a "new" (640 miles) one owner 2019 base LC200. I figure if I'm going to get one before the new ones are gone, now's the time. This was the only one around to test out. I'm currently in a 2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/KDSS, with KO2s and a roof rack. So slightly noisier than stock. My last drive in a Land Cruiser was a new 40 in 1977, and I've wanted one since. (The dealer wouldn't even evaluate my trade at the time, as my brakes went out on my Scirocco on the way there...)

The (Ford) dealer was awesome, giving us the keys and leaving us alone. We spent probably 45 minutes in and around it looking at the features, trying the seats, fiddling with buttons and screens, etc. Having the 4Runner, most of it was familiar, and I knew that it is old technology. Then we took it for a drive of mixed rural and Interstate for 20-30 miles, then back to sit in it longer to talk and get a feel for it. I'm picky with my seating, as my back gets tired and sore quickly in most vehicles. All told, we were in it close to 90 minutes.

Driving was different than I expected. I'd heard of the heavy steering, but it felt lighter than my 4Runner, so that was good. It was quieter than my 4Runner, but not as quiet as I thought it would be. I guess I expected luxury sedan silence, but that's not going to happen with a brick on frame vehicle. Road feel while driving was great, giving me a comfortable but not numb ride, and steering that felt more precise than I expected.

I'm 5' 8" on a good day, with short legs (28-30"inseam.) The lowest seat height on my 4Runner is quite a bit lower than the lowest on the LC. I'm in more of a sedan type feet out in front of me in the 4Runner, and more feet down like in a van in the LC. Probably something I could get used to, but it felt like a kid sitting at the big table. The seat is much stiffer and full compared to the 4Runner, too. The 4Runner is more concave like a sport seat.

Getting back in the 4Runner and driving the 90 minutes home was a mixed bag. It was suddenly noisy and jarring again, and a more confined cockpit. But the seats in the 4Runner gelt great after the LC. Sure they are more broken in, but I only have 34k on the 4Runner, so a long way from broken down.

And, just like the rest of the electronics, both have crappy audio. I was disappointed in the JBL system, and Deb wasn't far off when she said it sounded like the stereo in her 1977 Camaro 40 years ago.

We've got some pondering to do. I haven't quite convinced Deb that technically, a new LC200 would cost us only $150. I put $150 into an AAPL piggy back back in 1993, and can break it open and pull out a new LC today. :) She doesn't see it that way...

Anyway, those are my observations of a first drive. No questions; simply thinking out loud, as it were.

BTW, I couldn't figure out why a barely used Land Cruiser ended up in a Ford used car lot in pretty rural Ohio. That is, until I walked in the showroom and realized I was in a toy shop. It was filled with Porsches, Ferarris, Lamborghini, Bentley Continental GTs, Audi R8s, Vipers, custom Jaguar, etc. The LC was the cheap car in this place!

62439227639__EB16C6EE-9559-46DB-A37F-BDE12317548F.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I drove a "new" (640 miles) one owner 2019 base LC200. I figure if I'm going to get one before the new ones are gone, now's the time. This was the only one around to test out. I'm currently in a 2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/KDSS, with KO2s and a roof rack. So slightly noisier than stock. My last drive in a Land Rover was a new 40 in 1977, and I've wanted one since. (The dealer wouldn't even evaluate my trade at the time, as my brakes went out on my Scirocco on the way there...)

The (Ford) dealer was awesome, giving us the keys and leaving us alone. We spent probably 45 minutes in and around it looking at the features, trying the seats, fiddling with buttons and screens, etc. Having the 4Runner, most of it was familiar, and I knew that it is old technology. Then we took it for a drive of mixed rural and Interstate for 20-30 miles, then back to sit in it longer to talk and get a feel for it. I'm picky with my seating, as my back gets tired and sore quickly in most vehicles. All told, we were in it close to 90 minutes.

Driving was different than I expected. I'd heard of the heavy steering, but it felt lighter than my 4Runner, so that was good. It was quieter than my 4Runner, but not as quiet as I thought it would be. I guess I expected luxury sedan silence, but that's not going to happen with a brick on frame vehicle. Road feel while driving was great, giving me a comfortable but not numb ride, and steering that felt more precise than I expected.

I'm 5' 8" on a good day, with short legs (28-30"inseam.) The lowest seat height on my 4Runner is quite a bit lower than the lowest on the LC. I'm in more of a sedan type feet out in front of me in the 4Runner, and more feet down like in a van in the LC. Probably something I could get used to, but it felt like a kid sitting at the big table. The seat is much stiffer and full compared to the 4Runner, too. The 4Runner is more concave like a sport seat.

Getting back in the 4Runner and driving the 90 minutes home was a mixed bag. It was suddenly noisy and jarring again, and a more confined cockpit. But the seats in the 4Runner gelt great after the LC. Sure they are more broken in, but I only have 34k on the 4Runner, so a long way from broken down.

And, just like the rest of the electronics, both have crappy audio. I was disappointed in the JBL system, and Deb wasn't far off when she said it sounded like the stereo in her 1977 Camaro 40 years ago.

We've got some pondering to do. I haven't quite convinced Deb that technically, a new LC200 would cost us only $150. I put $150 into an AAPL piggy back back in 1993, and can break it open and pull out a new LC today. :) She doesn't see it that way...

Anyway, those are my observations of a first drive. No questions; simply thinking out loud, as it were.

View attachment 2465601
You mean land cruiser in 1977, or Land Rover? Not being a smart ass just checking.

Is it discounted much being it’s basically new?

My last drive in a Land Rover was a new 40 in 1977...

Whoa, hold up. 🤪

It was quieter than my 4Runner, but not as quiet as I thought it would be. I guess I expected luxury sedan silence, but that's not going to happen with a brick on frame vehicle.

Now you need to go find a Lexus dealer and drive an LX570.

I'm 5' 8" on a good day, with short legs (28-30"inseam.)

Sounds like you and I are the same size, and I can drive my 200 all day in complete comfort, have done it now several times.

You mean land cruiser in 1977, or Land Rover?
Whoa, hold up. 🤪
Yup, thanks. I've corrected my error. I actually tried buying a used Series II LR around the same time, but that was back when cars were advertised in Trading Times, and it was gone when I got to the dealer.

Nah, it was listed as discounted to $84k. Didn't sound like there was much room to dicker, but then, I didn't try until I decide for sure I'm a buyer.

Now you need to go find a Lexus dealer and drive an LX570.

Nope, Not with that wacky input on the console and giant maw on the front. ;)

Last edited:
I see the Carfax has it recorded as a commercial vehicle. That have any implications for the price?

Don't be too harsh on the JBL system until you have fed it a high quality signal.

I see the Carfax has it recorded as a commercial vehicle. That have any implications for the price?

Don't be too harsh on the JBL system until you have fed it a high quality signal.

Good to know on the JBL. All I was getting was XM channel 1 and local FM stations. I saw that it was commercial. They didn't have any history other than the CarFax, so it could have been a realtor or exec car. Strange it was used so little, and battery was replaced when this place got it. I wouldn't likely buy this one if I do buy. I'd get an HE if possible, but not at full retail. I got my 4Runner using Costco at near invoice at a time when TRD Pro and Trail Premium in some areas were getting sticker plus. Hoping for something similar this time.

Nope, Not with that wacky input on the console and giant maw on the front. ;)

Oh, I'm totally with you on that. Only a mother could love the nose on that thing. "Make a freight train take a dirt road" ugly.

Good to know on the JBL. All I was getting was XM channel 1 and local FM stations.

Oh ,well that explains your disappointment. FM is very limited in frequency spectrum, and Sirius/XM, wow it's awful. Try downloading some tunes to a USB drive, play them directly, much better. Still not amazing, but a big improvement. Make sure the stupid "spatial" thing is disabled, deep down in the settings.

Still not amazing, but a big improvement.
Thanks. I play Qobuz through Roon at home, and can use it in lower quality through the phone output. If there were true audio inputs, I could stick a Dragonfly DAC betwixt the phone and head unit.

Thanks. I play Qobuz through Roon at home, and can use it in lower quality through the phone output. If there were true audio inputs, I could stick a Dragonfly DAC betwixt the phone and head unit.
I think I need to talk to you because I use CD’s, albums, pandora and Tidal. I think I’m missing out on the latest ways to JAM!?

I wish I knew that all that meant. Wait... are you from the future?

I wish I knew that all that meant. Wait... are you from the future?
Ha! Just an old fart learning new stuff. Qobuz is a high resolution steaming service similar to Tidal. The Dragonfly is a digital to analog converter (DAC) that plugs into a phone to process the output at a higher quality than what normally comes through the headphone jack.

I didn’t know any of this a year ago, and just understand a fraction of the digital stuff. Now that my hearing is starting to degrade, I’ve discovered how good audio can sound.

More money (front end) in high end used cars than selling new Fords would be my best bet.

Dealer make money in back end money quarterly and annually....Used cars are instant cash.

I live north of Austin and monthly travel to Beaumont area east of Houston. I mostly listen to radio and I can say with certainty that standard AM/FM signal sounds blah. Quite a few stations that I listen to transmit in HD. I can tell when I loose the HD signal with out looking at display just by change in sound quality. The first time my wife noticed it she thought something was wrong with Radio. I had to explain HD vs normal FM signal and encoded data.

There is an analog audio input with a 1/8” mini jack that you could connect the Dragonfly output to. On the 2020, it’s just forward and to the right of the shifter with a little hinged plastic cover over it In the same spot as the USB port. I suspect it’s in the same place on a 2019. I’m also a high end audio nut (my main system at home has 3 pairs of Revel Salon 2’s) and find the sound quality of the factory system to be pretty decent (not to be confused with great) once it is being fed with a good quality source.

At least downloaded music coming from my iPhone via USB (or even BT) sounds great on JBL. CDs sounds good too. Probably one of the best car audio system that i have heard.

Probably one of the best car audio system that i have heard.

Uh no, I wouldn't go that far. You should go sit in an Audi with a B&O system. With a good source, it's exceptional. Makes ML sound like a Kraco from K-Mart (sucks).

Uh no, I wouldn't go that far. You should go sit in an Audi with a B&O system. With a good source, it's exceptional. Makes ML sound like a Kraco from K-Mart (sucks).

I found the B&O to be too bright. Accurate maybe for car audio, but fatiguing after a long ride.

I haven't quite convinced Deb that technically, a new LC200 would cost us only $150. I put $150 into an AAPL piggy back back in 1993, and can break it open and pull out a new LC today. :) She doesn't see it that way...

Well done on the long AAPL hold, that would be an awesome way to buy a Cruiser, a house, or anything special.

Reactions: HGB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom