I overheated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
Threads
I did, but i have excuses. It was on the Rubicon Trail, the monday wagon run of Rubithon. Invite only, I'll have you know. It got hot that day, mid 90s at least. It all seemed terribly difficult technical uphill under load at 1/4 MPH in 1st/low/low with a bit of waiting around. Where i tried to stop in the shade and pop the hood. Even ran the heater.
Autometer temp gauge (mounted on the traditional 2F temp sender in the head spot) said 223 degrees. Hottest I've ever seen. Climbed to 230 after i shut it off.
Cooled down on the downhill bits a bit, but it stayed hot a long time.
Obviously, i need better cooling.
A fan shroud might be nice, i don't currently have one. Long story..
There is a rumor of an Astrovan or Aroestar or something fan shroud what fits a Pig and i cant find it, i even searched i did.
Temps usually run 180/190 at speed.
Or i could probly attach some fans somewhere , i got plenty electricity.
A fan shroud seems the best course, does anyone recall that thread?

Not sure about the thread you mention, but I am a firm believer of the shroud. I wouldn't run anything without one. There are kits where you can cut them to fit your setup.

My guess is do the flush and renew what you have, since you live in the mountains I'm thinking your timing is fine. Oh, and get the shroud, wouldn't hurt.

I ran for several years without a shroud and a smaller FJ40 radiator, and never had any issues. That’s not saying I wouldn’t recommend getting a shroud, but I would also consider what the condition of the rest of your cooling system is. 223° is way hotter than normal, even if you’re crawling on a hot day.

Last edited:
Been running a stock 55 radiator for 12 years without a shroud in front of two different SBCs. Only one issue ever whether crawling or at freeway speeds and that was because of a faulty radiator cap. I do keep the system clean and have the GM heavy truck water pump and fan clutch. Pump pushes more volume and the fan kicks in earlier. 90% of the time, whatever the conditions, the gauge is right in mid-range. Highest I've ever seen it is the mark about 2/3rds of the way up temporarily. Just never took the time to manufacture a shroud but it'd be cheap enough insurance. Not directly comparable to running an F or 2F but Rush is right about cooling system maintenance.

Yes on fan shroud. I run an original FJ55 radiator (cleaned/flushed) in my 1969 55 with a 1985 2F. I cut the FJ60 fan shroud to fit around a new AiSIN 7 blade fan. My setup stays cool even on long trips in the heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom