I need to stop buying vehicles.... 1996 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't get me wrong and we love the 100 series (and it's far nicer and in more extreme needs is more capable)...

But my wife is loving this thing to the point where it's become her desired primary vehicle. Somehow I got the Prius V....

20190715_192941.jpg

Last edited:
As I said earlier, 1 speaker didn't work so I guess that meant replacing something....

Installed a Hifonics 4ch amp (I had one of their class d amps in an IS300 - it destroyed Rockford Fosgates top of the line 10" sub and made a Pioneer premier sound amazing) and 2 pairs of MB Quart components.

Front stock tweeters worked great with the aftermarket crossover - plus the MB quart tweeter wouldn't fit in the stock location. The crossovers fit in the front when I trimmed out the stock speaker wire connector then simply drilled 2 holes and zip tied it. It's a tight fit without the zip ties - they aren't going anywhere.

Speaking of not fitting.... 6.5"s dont fit in the rear.... at least these don't while allowing the window to roll down. So, as much as I didn't like it, they went into the door cards instead.

20190724_133535.jpg

20190724_133539.jpg

20190724_203134.jpg

When you call a junkyard, tell them you need an AC switch, you expect them to say they sell it as part of the heater controls, you say 'ok, but to remove the heater controls is a lot more work on your guys to remove the whole panel and the AC switch requires to be removed first - either just send the switch or make sure it gets sent I'll pay the same either way", and they say ok....

20190726_181136.jpg

My solution to the power antenna mast being MIA, no radio frequency, and the power antenna motor driving me nuts.

Theres 2 couplers with the edges ground down in the middle to make contact with the antenna wiring and the bottom/middle couplers tacked in place. Its a tight enough fit that I had to tap it into the sheathing with a hammer.

The result is an antenna mast that will take any 1/4x20 thread or adapter. Seems to work exceptionally well.

All in all... $2 for the allthread, $2 for the couplers, and $11 for the shorty antenna with adapters.

20190727_123015.jpg

20190727_124451.jpg

20190727_124553.jpg

Love the 3rd gen's, solid motor and decent body styling (I'm probably biased I own a pretty well setup 99 5sp myself :) )

Gotta give you a like for title of thread.

I had a 2000 4Runner for a year or so. Unfortunately I had overlooked that the inner frame was starting to rust. Exhaust side had a crack that ran for several feet. So, decided to let it go, but not before fuel pump went out on it. :(

Yours looks great! Nice to have a manual.

Wired key on via relay, high amp dual USB charger.... these are some of the handiest upgrades I do in my rigs.... and at under $20 including relay, well worth it.

20190804_161301.jpg

Completely agree. Installed 3 so far in my 80 and one in my taco.

20171231_133340.jpg

Last edited:
USB in this rig was wired key on, meaning it's off when the ignition is off.

I used a standard 5 pin Bosch relay, a 4 pin will also work.

2 wires are run into the cab from the engine bay, 3 total wires are needed to be wired in the cab for this.

In the cab:
USB negative needs to be wired to a grounding location in the cab, shorter is better. Mine is about 12" to a bolt under the center console.
USB positive runs to the relay I mounted in the engine bay, pin 87
Pin 86 of the relay runs to a 12v switched source. Draw is very low as the relay has it's own power source. For this, I ran a wire and tapped into the 12v cigarette adapter.

Under the hood you should have the 2 wires from the cab to the relay.

Pin 85 runs to a ground - I like to make it short and use the bolt I'm mounting the relay to/with.

That leaves 1 more wire, which is 12v constant. Run it to the battery (or a good strong 12v source) with a fuse between to pin 30.

That's it.

Once you start to play with these relays you can make fun stuff happen...

12-v-relay-wiring-diagram-5-bosch-professional-photograph.jpg

Side note.....

New ball joints and both inner/outer TREs arrived.

Have some 2008 T4R springs and rear shocks (~100 original miles), and some Tundra Bilstein 5100s on the way....

Well this happened.....

Now have a parts rig for the pieces ours needs....

Oh yeah, and a locker rearend.

Wondering if the gearing is the same as this 97 limited is an A/T...

I assume it's on the vin or stamped somewhere?

The transfercase is odd being that it's quite a bit different than the manual 97 we have...
20190818_113639_compress84.jpg
20190818_133901_compress55.jpg

I am not familiar with 4runners or Tacos coming with different gears from toyota. I know ford does that with a few of their explorers etc. but haven't heard of that in toyota.

I am not familiar with 4runners or Tacos coming with different gears from toyota. I know ford does that with a few of their explorers etc. but haven't heard of that in toyota.

Most likely the locker is a 4:30 and the 5sp rear is 4:10.

Luckily I have a matching front diff to go with that rear locked diff ;)

Uh oh..next mods will be the a lift kit, ARB bumper, winch and 33's now that you've got an e-locked rear...

Uh oh..next mods will be the a lift kit, ARB bumper, winch and 33's now that you've got an e-locked rear...

It might get a mild lift (the manual) but that wasn't the intent.

As stated above I have 2008 T4R springs and 5100s ready to go in. I wanted like new Toyota springs and found these cheap. Will probably go up 1-2" but if all it does is level out and ride better (safer) I'll be happy.

The 100 series is down for a timing belt job and once done i will be tearing into both T4Rs.

I've considered buying a 2nd gen to swap the AT motor into.... my wife would definitely notice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom