I need help with the wiring on my daily driver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I had my 2nd alt go bad and i figured oh well, it was free and old, so no biggie. I change out the alt for a remaned one and i still am getting no noticeable charging. I checked the fuse box and they are all good. The voltage reg is a new solid state model amd it worked nefore i changed that. the part i replaced it with was a 55 amp alt for a 75 (or so they told me) . It was not a direct bolt in as the ears for mounting were not at 12 and 6 oclock respectively but instead were at lik 10:45 and 6. The plug ws the same. Did they give me an internally reg'ltd alt by mistake? what should i look for to tell if it is internally regulated? Am i f'd?
Thanks in advance.

what is the story on this friggin electrical system

I've got a OEM altenator from a 2F manufactured 2/76. You can have it for $40 + shipping. I pulled the 2F to go to a 3B deisel.

I have an 85 FJ60 with an internal solid state voltage regulator so some of the information i pass on might not apply to your FJ40 (though I hope it may help you). Internal regulator is obvious by having a top cover plate at about 11 oclock on the alternator with 2 phillips screws holding down the plate, the cover plate being maybe 2" x 4", and a back cover plate with 2 more phillips head screws. The regulator is secured internally with 3 more screws, and is accesible after pulling off the top and back cover plates. If your alternator fits this description I really doubt the regulator is in there. I just paid $140 for a reman alternator from Toyota and another $120 for the internal regulator being that the regulator was additional to the alt. Also on the FJ60 an internally regulated alt. has a 2 prong plug connector and 1 battery terminal screw connector on the back of the alt. The externally regulated FJ60 alt. has a 3 prong plug in connector and 1 battery terminal srew connector so I'm thinking you might not have been able to plug directly in if they gave you the wrong alternator. Does the truck stay running for a short amount of time and then die, or does it keep running but has a low voltage output from the alternator. Good luck and hope some of this helped.

How do you know it's not charging? What is the voltage across the battery with the engine running @ 1000 RPM?

Re:what is the story on this friggin electrical system

i am certain it is not charging because the voltage reg shows a deficit at all times and the lights do not do the dim at idle/bright when revve routine. they are just dim all the time. Also, the battery goes dead while i drive. I am fairly certain that there is no charge getting in. The battery is perfect and holds a charge. I think the alt is a heavy duty type that produces 50-55 amps but it is getting nowhere. I can't seem to detect any blown fuses and the fusible link is nowhere to be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom