I need help installing my TJM 2'' lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I live in Cumming Georgia which is just north of Atlanta. I would like to find a mud member to help me install my TJM 2'' lift with castor correction bushings.

I can pay you in $, beer, or both :)

I also have some cool spare parts and accessories for the 80 that I can give you as well. I would like someone who has installed a lift on an 80 along with the castor correction bushings (so I know we are measuring properly and all that).

I hope someone can help me out! My lift kit is just sitting here begging to be installed. I will drive to you.

Reply to this thread or PM me if you can help. My availability is very open so almost anytime next week will work.

I would trust an experienced Mud member over most mechanics any day. I am a 22 year old college student so I am able bodied and excited to learn.

Thanks guys!

(also let me know if this should be posted in another thread, I don't want to brake the rules)

If you aren't able to find anyone to do a driveway install, ACC Toyota(check out their vendor forum here on MUD) isn't too far away from you. They do top notch work.

Installing the lift is super easy. The hardest part is swapping the caster bushings out and possibly removing the shocks. I live in Los Angeles, where cars do not rust, and my original shocks needed to be cut free. The nuts and the shock threads were rusted so bad they fused together.
You may not even need the caster correction.

Just did mine myself a few weeks ago. Not a difficult job if you follow the instructions on Slee's website. It helps to have a friend, but I did mine alone. The caster bushings were not difficult, but did take more time than the lift due to the learning curve. There should be a template with your bushings. You will also need a press. We used a 20 ton press and it took every bit to push the old bushings out. Then new ones went in easily.

Good luck, but don't be scared to put the lift on. I drove mine for 2 weeks before I installed the bushings. The bushings definitely made everything better, but it was fine until I got them done.

I did the Ironman 2" and have not installed any castor correction. My truck drives fine. If my truck were 'wandering' around, then I would know I need a couple of degrees of negative castor but mine feels very solid with 2" lift and no correction.

I also installed my own lift. Pretty simple straight forward project. I'll help you if you will come west down I-20 about 725 miles :grinpimp:!

Haha Thanks guys. I will end up going solo if I cant find someone...
But I do want help from a person who has done it before...

if you are taking off the stock front springs i might be interested in buying them. gilbreath03@gmail.com
Good luck with your lift install.

I just put a lift on mine yesterday. I started around 11 and was drinking cold Coors Orig by 4. It can be done by yourself, just take a look at Slee's Instructions and use plenty of WD-40's rust penetrant. It's a good idea to start spraying the bolts for the sway bars, shocks and where the brake lines attach to the body a few days ahead of time.

Jgilbreath, let me know if you still need some front springs.

Should I buy slee's castor tool? I don't have a press, but I have heard you can use a sledge hammer?

did you install castor correction bushings?

I haven't installed the caster correction yet, in my research I found that not everyone needed it. So far it doesn't seem like I will need it once the springs have settled to where they are going to be, but I may end up installing it just to be safe.

I haven't done the caster correction on an 80, but I've done them before and a sawzall and propane torch were my best friends when removing the factory bushing. Installing the new one with a little lube makes it a cinch.

Should I buy slee's castor tool? I don't have a press, but I have heard you can use a sledge hammer?

I used a press! I needed it mainly to get the old ones out. The new ones went in easier, but I would definitely use the Slee tool. Otherwise you might jack them up with a sledge hammer. If you can get a press, then use it. Much cleaner and easier to get the new ones put in the right orientation.

You should be able to cut them. People were adding caster correction long before Slee came up with the tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom