I Need A Timing Belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBound

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought this 4th Gen V8 knowing it needed a new timing belt. After putting around 1500 miles on it, I'm not comfortable going much longer without getting it done.

I like working with Steve Rayburn at OneStop Auto on Eubank. They've been good to me, but the quote is $1000 and some change for the timing belt / water pump kit and labor.

American Toyota quoted me $750 when I asked only about the timing belt a few weeks ago. As I understand it, it would be good to replace some pulleys and other components while it's being done. This would drive the cost up for sure.

So, is this something worth learning and doing myself? It would be the first time I've done any serious engine work. No idea what I would be getting into. It would be a research effort on my part. I can buy a lot of gear for the Ouray trip for what I would pay in labor - but it may be worth the peace of mind and convenience.

In your experience, what's the best move for me here?

Just an AmToy tip. We do get 25% off parts. It's called the MUD discount, and you need to ask for it. If they have never seen you before they might give you the stink eye. Try dropping some names. Not MUD names, real names. Tell them the guys in the Cruiser club sent you. I seem to recall the service department will honor the MUD discount on parts, but I have no experience.

You can also purchase the parts at AmToy, then take them to ToyoMasters and have them install.

This job is not too difficult, figure on eight hours for the first timer. A complete Aisin timing kit from Amazon has everything you need. Do a search on Toyota-4runner.org for more info and tips. I didn't buy anything from the local dealer as this kit has everything you need.

I think you should attempt it. Don't fret if you're not exactly at the factory suggested interval as mine was 100k miles overdue!

I did the timing belt on my LX In about 6 hours. Not a bad job. Just crank some tunes and turn some bolts.

This job is not too difficult, figure on eight hours for the first timer. A complete Aisin timing kit from Amazon has everything you need. Do a search on Toyota-4runner.org for more info and tips. I didn't buy anything from the local dealer as this kit has everything you need.

I think you should attempt it. Don't fret if you're not exactly at the factory suggested interval as mine was 100k miles overdue!

At this point I would be paying for the convenience. Thanks for telling me about your 100k overdue haha. That's reassuring. The 2UZ-FE is a tank.

I'll start studying the workflow and prep the tools. If I run into any issues I will post back here. Will be another week or so before I get to it, if doing it myself.

Too many side projects going on, and still, my supervisor tried to sell me a mini lathe this morning for 100 bucks.

I'm a bit weary of this job for the first go because I don't know what it ought to look/feel like. Hopefully the guides I've seen online will help in that aspect. If not, I may be asking one of you to give it a look-over before I destroy my engine.

I did mine in '09 on my '99. It took me a few days because the water pump had been leaking and caused the drivegear on the end of the crankshaft to be rusted onto the end of the crankshaft. Lots of penetrating oil, heat and a borrowed puller eventually got it off. I wanted to replace the crankshaft and camshaft seals while I was in there. I also replaced water pump, idler pulley, belt tensioner, fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs. Now I'm 10 years later but only 40K miles later. I'm thinking about just replacing the belt, water pump, idler and tensioner this time. I would not call it an easy job but not as difficult as pulling an engine, transmission, transfer case or something else big and hard to deal with. My only word of wisdom is to cover the inside surface of the radiator with a thick piece of cardboard to prevent it from getting dinged up while you're replacing parts. Also, a factory service manual is a really nice thing to have while doing this job.

I did mine in '09 on my '99. It took me a few days because the water pump had been leaking and caused the drivegear on the end of the crankshaft to be rusted onto the end of the crankshaft. Lots of penetrating oil, heat and a borrowed puller eventually got it off. I wanted to replace the crankshaft and camshaft seals while I was in there. I also replaced water pump, idler pulley, belt tensioner, fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs. Now I'm 10 years later but only 40K miles later. I'm thinking about just replacing the belt, water pump, idler and tensioner this time. I would not call it an easy job but not as difficult as pulling an engine, transmission, transfer case or something else big and hard to deal with. My only word of wisdom is to cover the inside surface of the radiator with a thick piece of cardboard to prevent it from getting dinged up while you're replacing parts. Also, a factory service manual is a really nice thing to have while doing this job.
Hoping I don't run into anything like that. I'll be doing it on a Friday afternoon to give myself another 2 full days.

Just get the FSM in pdf and print out the pages then follow it step by step. Toyota FSMs are real nice with lots of good pics. I'm sure one of us can give you warm & fuzzy if needed.

My cam seals were dry (no leaks) and it was too much effort to mess with them so I returned them to American Toyota. I can't recall if I did the crankshaft seal or not but prolly did. Actually, nothing on my engine leaked at that time, which was around 345xxx miles, IIRC. It's a sweet engine.

There is some good step by step videos on mud by OTRAMM 4.7 Timing Belt video update helped me replace mine in my 99 UZJ100 , saved a bunch with the mud discount and its really just a lot of steps,but not too hard of a job.

Just get the FSM in pdf and print out the pages then follow it step by step. Toyota FSMs are real nice with lots of good pics. I'm sure one of us can give you warm & fuzzy if needed.

My cam seals were dry (no leaks) and it was too much effort to mess with them so I returned them to American Toyota. I can't recall if I did the crankshaft seal or not but prolly did. Actually, nothing on my engine leaked at that time, which was around 345xxx miles, IIRC. It's a sweet engine.

Ford wanted $170 for a digital-only copy of the FSM 🤣

I ended up with a chinese copy PDF that had no table of contents and it was an 8,000 page document.

This really comes down to time and not difficulty. I can teach myself how to do anything. I will at least research the workflow before deciding what to do.

I don't know jack s*** about cam seals or crankshaft seals, but, then again, there was a time when I didn't know the difference between a volt and a watt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom