I love my 2016 8 speed tranny with TSB 0209-17 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ordered Pedal Commander, got it today, will install this week.

Over the past few days I have experimented with manually shifting from 1st to 2nd. If I get the RPM's up to around 3000+ and shift to second, the LC shifts wonderfully.
Manually shifting below 3000 RPM's and the stuttering shifting from 1 to 2 can range from not really noticeable to very noticeable.

Will see what Pedal Commander does.

I do have an appointment this week at the local dealer to specifically have a tech do a test drive with me.

Ask for a printout of what your current ECU software is. AFTER the TSB is done the software should be AT LEAST 895366011400. But when they updated mine the last 3 numbers came out as 500. Anything less than 400 and the problem will still exist.

It is important to note that with this TSB if they simply plug in Tech Stream, and you have the old software it will say “no update is needed.” And this is what every single lazy dealer will do. Oh, truck is fine, everything is up to date. TSB is good. And send it out the door. After some help from some forum guys here I leaned hard on my dealer for a forced update and it solved the issue. It is night and day difference with the TSB. It’s frankly enough that I haven’t wanted a Pedal Commander (yet, but I will).

Frankly your symptoms sound like a truck that has yet to be updated correctly.

Ask for a printout of what your current ECU software is. AFTER the TSB is done the software should be AT LEAST 895366011400. But when they updated mine the last 3 numbers came out as 500. Anything less than 400 and the problem will still exist.

It is important to note that with this TSB if they simply plug in Tech Stream, and you have the old software it will say “no update is needed.” And this is what every single lazy dealer will do. Oh, truck is fine, everything is up to date. TSB is good. And send it out the door. After some help from some forum guys here I leaned hard on my dealer for a forced update and it solved the issue. It is night and day difference with the TSB. It’s frankly enough that I haven’t wanted a Pedal Commander (yet, but I will).

Frankly your symptoms sound like a truck that has yet to be updated correctly.
Thanks...that is great information. I am going to definitely has for a print out on the software version...amazes me dealers will look at me with confidence that everything has been done 100 percent. With how this has behaved after so called updates being done, I have not noticed any difference...so I am anxious to see the actual version number.

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 100x. The absolutely positively worst thing about owning a Land Cruiser is the Toyota dealership.

Recommendation for non-warranty work is the Lexus dealer. I haven’t tried it myself, but it’s in the plan next time a service like that comes up. The thought from those who have recommended it is that one Lexus dealers have to be *more on top of their game because of the more upscale clientele and two a lot more LX570s were sold than LCs so in theory they have more experience working on them. Sounds good in theory, we’ll see how it is in practice.

Sorry to barge in with my silly questions/comments but I was searching for info on installing the 8 speed trans into my 97 LC. I believe the trans is an AA8F or close to it. When specing out my 2104 Lexus LS460L AWD I noticed that according to Wikipedia my LS and then the 200 series share the same trans. The TSB you all have mentioned makes me wonder if I should look into having this done on my LS. Other than Google I’m not sure where I’d look. I work overseas so can’t visit the local Toyota shop but I’ll ask around at the Lexus dealership where I had the last work done. Just bought it last summer and can’t wait to drive it again. Really enjoy that trans and I haven’t experienced any rough shifting issues. But then it was owned my an elderly couple and only had 10,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance and if you’ve heard any swaps let m know. Not finding much with Google but then bandwidth in the sandbox sucks.

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 100x. The absolutely positively worst thing about owning a Land Cruiser is the Toyota dealership.

Recommendation for non-warranty work is the Lexus dealer. I haven’t tried it myself, but it’s in the plan next time a service like that comes up. The thought from those who have recommended it is that one Lexus dealers have to be *more on top of their game because of the more upscale clientele and two a lot more LX570s were sold than LCs so in theory they have more experience working on them. Sounds good in theory, we’ll see how it is in practice.

So I had a local shop hook up to the LC and confirm the software update for the transmission. The dealer did apply the update, it ends with 500.

I installed the pedal commander...holy crap did that WAKE this pig up. In City mode it drives more like my 2011 LC with the acceleration.
As much as I love the PC and will definitely keep in connected in the LC soley for the improvement in acceleration...The PC seems to make the 1st to 2nd shifting feel even harsher at times.
I turn off the PC and the harsh shifting seems more subtle.

I am considering taking this to the Lexus dealer based on what was shared about a chance for better service...but since this is still under warranty, I also thought taking it to the Toyota dealer and making a tech do a test drive while I'm in the car, may be the thing to do first?

I also wonder if this is just my OCD personality...which I'm sure it is...but one of these tech's should be able to explain to me why it feels so F'n harsh and "skippy" between 1 and 2.

Anyone in the Connecticut area with a 2016 or newer that I can compare shifting to?

Just had mine done at the 65k service. My rep told me the update is covered under warranty until 70k then there is a charge for anyone who hasn't upgraded yet. More to follow after I drive it some more.

Last edited:
Greetings all,
My new to me 2016 is at the local dealer requesting the TSB be performed. They are trying to charge me 105 bucks. Shouldn’t this be covered under warranty?

Greetings all,
My new to me 2016 is at the local dealer requesting the TSB be performed. They are trying to charge me 105 bucks. Shouldn’t this be covered under warranty?
Work done using Technical Service Bulletins is not necessarily covered under warranty. TSBs are intended to provide information to a service department about what needs to be done to address a complaint. They are not recalls. So far, some have had it paid for by Toyota and others have paid shop time for it. Past the 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty? Dealer orneriness? I would call Toyota Customer Care and ask them to see if they can influence your dealer.

Edited to note that some have paid and some have not to have this work done.

Last edited:
Greetings all,

I think I paid for the shop time. I was just giddy that they finally did the work.

Greetings all,
2016 with 40k miles and dealer performed the TSB with no charge, said it was covered by warranty.

1st I love the new changes to the tranny.
2nd My dealer said it was covered under warranty up to 70k miles. I would agree with calling Toyota customer care and get it handled with them if needed or go to a different dealer.

Thanks for the feedback guys. My local dealer is a bunch of absolute knuckleheads. 2016 with 14k miles and Toyota certified and they charged me $128 to do it.

I didn’t have time to argue with them since my wife was picking up the truck but will call Toyota care tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback guys. My local dealer is a bunch of absolute knuckleheads. 2016 with 14k miles and Toyota certified and they charged me $128 to do it.

I didn’t have time to argue with them since my wife was picking up the truck but will call Toyota care tomorrow.

I had the same experience and won’t go back to the same dealer. I even emailed them all the info saying it was covered under the powertrain warranty and customers should not pay for it, and later when I looked back at my invoice (brake job and oil change at the same time) I saw they charged me an hour of labor. Very annoying and unprofessional.

I had the same experience and won’t go back to the same dealer. I even emailed them all the info saying it was covered under the powertrain warranty and customers should not pay for it, and later when I looked back at my invoice (brake job and oil change at the same time) I saw they charged me an hour of labor. Very annoying and unprofessional.
Mt. States? They did not charge me...

Mt. States? They did not charge me...

Yep! That’s why I gave you that particular advice and info to say. I learned only after the fact what else I could have provided but it was too late. They messed up a valve stem and didn’t a top up any fluids on my last service either, so I’m done with them. I’ll go to Stevinson when I’m not at Slee from now on.

I went to the Lexus dealer this morning and drove with their diagnostic tech. One thing I overlooked is my LC is still under warranty, but they were happy to let the tech spend and hour with me doing the test drive.
He immediately felt the 1 to 2 shifting shutter. He told me he had a GX do the same thing. Lexus had a fix for it. He is going to check and see if Toyota has any knowledge of this shutter and let me know.
But it seemed like the action he can take is limited since this is under warranty still.
Nevertheless, I may end up back at the Toyota dealer and at least I have the validation I need to have this addressed.

I'm speechless how a 90 thousand dollar vehicle with such a great reputation can have this issue...I should know better than to think everything is without issue.

The tech started going down the road about buy back if this shutter cant be fixed...I dont even want to think about going through that process.
Due to the service experience at Lexus, I would be more inclined to buy one now...they were super good to me.

I went to the Lexus dealer this morning and drove with their diagnostic tech. One thing I overlooked is my LC is still under warranty, but they were happy to let the tech spend and hour with me doing the test drive.
He immediately felt the 1 to 2 shifting shutter. He told me he had a GX do the same thing. Lexus had a fix for it. He is going to check and see if Toyota has any knowledge of this shutter and let me know.
But it seemed like the action he can take is limited since this is under warranty still.
Nevertheless, I may end up back at the Toyota dealer and at least I have the validation I need to have this addressed.

I'm speechless how a 90 thousand dollar vehicle with such a great reputation can have this issue...I should know better than to think everything is without issue.

The tech started going down the road about buy back if this shutter cant be fixed...I dont even want to think about going through that process.
Due to the service experience at Lexus, I would be more inclined to buy one now...they were super good to me.

The Lexus tech called me back. He said that my 06/16 LC transmission is a 50. In 04/17 they started using the 51 transmission. He couldnt confirm if the 50 transmission has this 1 to 2 shudder problem...only way to tell is to drive another one.

I'm going back to the Toyota dealer next week to test drive with a tech and get a repair process going. I just hope they dont tell me this is a "characteristic" and I have to live with it.

The Lexus tech called me back. He said that my 06/16 LC transmission is a 50. In 04/17 they started using the 51 transmission. He couldnt confirm if the 50 transmission has this 1 to 2 shudder problem...only way to tell is to drive another one.

I'm going back to the Toyota dealer next week to test drive with a tech and get a repair process going. I just hope they dont tell me this is a "characteristic" and I have to live with it.
For the record: my 200 is a 3/16. @Rodwilsonsr It sounds like you are getting the run around. Or maybe I'm not seeing the nuance of your situation? There is life after the late model 8 speed 200 factory tranny issues...

New to a 2016 LC here, and new to this forum. New to LC world in general, but have driven 4runners and Tundras for over a decade... all while lusting over the 200s.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting about this issue and your fix experiences. I drove the LC200 for the first time without PWR mode on yesterday. I purchased the vehicle last week. It only has 18k miles on it. I was shocked at how not smooth the transmission was, and how weak the engine felt compared to my 2017 Tundra DC 4x4 with the 5.7L as well. I started googling and arrived here eventually.

My LC is a 12/15 manufacture date.

I have an appointment with a dealer for the flash/calibration on Monday and have ordered the Pedal Commander. I'll report my experiences as well. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom