I like your jeep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You should have a bunch of these printed and keep them in your glovebox. View attachment 3373809
I've always been tempted to put one of these stickers on my rear window...
th-2461419998.jpeg

Ironically, it is actually "jeep", just not a "Jeep". The original model used Toyota's B-series engine, so it was called the Toyota "Jeep" BJ, with "jeep" being the generic term prior to the creation of the capital-J Jeep brand.

Oddly enough, Toyota basically borrowed the form factor from the Willys, and the name was a bit of a pilfering/play on the Land Rover badge.

this one is another one im gonna slap on my buddies heep when hes not looking :rofl:

jeep bashing.jpg

Ironically, it is actually "jeep", just not a "Jeep". The original model used Toyota's B-series engine, so it was called the Toyota "Jeep" BJ, with "jeep" being the generic term prior to the creation of the capital-J Jeep brand.

Oddly enough, Toyota basically borrowed the form factor from the Willys, and the name was a bit of a pilfering/play on the Land Rover badge.

yes exactly
pretty sure thats what the J in J40, J70 etc stands for.... thing is, it was a military vehicle spec designation for a type of vehicle, not a brand or model, without the war none of would have these vehicles....
mitsubishi made a 'jeep' too as well as some others

mitsu.jpg

Neighbor a couple doors down who's got a few jeeps asked how may “Suzuki Samurai” project was going…. At least it wasn’t a jeep comment I normally get

Actually, even though the JEEP/GP was a wartime utility vehicle, the Japanese did a superb job improving on it , AND PRICE, which soured the Willis people here in USA. They wanted the NAME gone. History is a truth and now since then we have THE TOYOTA LAND CRUISER AND WILLYS IN THE HEAP OF HISTORY. Keep trying as the TLC is still the worlds rig.

In all that I've read or heard, nobody can definitely say what the origin of the name jeep came from. Some refer to Popeyes son, who went every where or GP which was Fords model of vehicle in question. The vehicle in question was originally designed, built and submitted to the govt by a small fan company named Bantam.

yes exactly
pretty sure thats what the J in J40, J70 etc stands for.... thing is, it was a military vehicle spec designation for a type of vehicle, not a brand or model, without the war none of would have these vehicles....
mitsubishi made a 'jeep' too as well as some others

View attachment 3377300
I mentioned wanting one of these mitsubishi jeeps on this thread already. they are pretty cool. I Could be mistaken but I think these mitsubishi jeeps have birfield joints in the front. and a pretty cool little diesel engine.

I have owned 2 jeeps and I remember the moment in time when I decided I liked them.
My college roommate owned a mid 80s wrangler which we took to Daytona Beach one year for spring break.
For those of you unfamiliar one can drive on Daytona beach. Eric and I pulled his Jeep into the “cruising” line and In short order had bikini clad girls filling up the back. I knew right then that I had to have one. Call it competitive advantage if you will. (I never once had a girl say “I like your prelude“) Soon after graduation I bought one. It served me well.

Same topic, off brand.

I had my Firebird in the driveway while I was working on the FJ. The mail carrier, in his late 20s or early 30s, said nice camaro. I stopped and said, its a Pontiac Firebird, not a camaro. The next day there was a hand written note in my mail box from the postal carrier, apologizing for his mistake. LOL.

I have taken the FJ to several cars and coffee shows, there is never an FJ there. There is always a few comments with, nice jeep. I now just point to the grill and just say, Toyota.

20221105_163547.jpg

Same topic, off brand.

I had my Firebird in the driveway while I was working on the FJ. The mail carrier, in his late 20s or early 30s, said nice camaro. I stopped and said, its a Pontiac Firebird, not a camaro. The next day there was a hand written note in my mail box from the postal carrier, apologizing for his mistake. LOL.

I have taken the FJ to several cars and coffee shows, there is never an FJ there. There is always a few comments with, nice jeep. I now just point to the grill and just say, Toyota.

View attachment 3377537

It's probably the flipped bezel.

Just sayin'.....

In my defense, it came flipped.

View attachment 3377564
Same topic, off brand.

View attachment 3377537
Very cool rigs, 69FJ40- one of the cooler bezels I've seen. You are committing 2 mortal Mud sins here, but I'll let the cops persecute ;)

I'm used to the Jeep comments at this point. The couple times that I've been thrown off and left scratching my head is when someone thinks its an old 4Runner. At least they got the Toyota part right.

Hello,

Legend says some Bantam Jeeps were sent to the Philippines for testing before the Japanese invaded. These prototypes were captured by the Japanese. The AK-10, predecessor to the Land Cruiser, had elements from these Bantams.

The Toyota Jeep BJ was essentially a Jeep-like body in a light truck (truck, not pick-up truck/Ute) chassis. Due to copyright claims, all that remains from the original name is the J on the model designation. And yes, the name had to be good enough to compete with Jeep and Land Rover.

Over the years, Jeep manufacture changed hands from Willys to Kaiser Industries to AMC to Chrysler. Now it is Fiat/Stellantis. These changes affected quality, except for the Willys and AMC era, at least in my book.

Land Rover's manufacturing quality was an issue as well, especially after the introduction of the Range Rover. The use of Lucas electrics/electronics complicated things even more.

Unlike competitors, Toyota did not change hands and, as a result, the quality of the Land Cruiser remained stable, and even improved. But that does not mean that Toyota cannot make mistakes: the 2L-TE engine, the Australia spec 1GD engine's DPF and the 300 Series' hot V engines come to mind.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom