I fu@#ed it up... 2f engine way overheat. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
I mentioned this in a previous thread, I way overheated my 2f when the hose to the oil cooler popped and dumped all the coolant. (like it shut off and oil was smoking on engine, bad. Yes, I'm apparently an idiot.).

Engine seizes enough that starter can't turn. Let vehicle weight turn trans in gear, breaks it free. Starter spins for a bit, and then stops again.
I'm guessing the block is all warped to hell?

What are the chances it's rebuild-able?

Should I just start saving up to chevota it instead?
I know the pursits will be sad, but if I'm putting a new motor in a 350 is around the cost of a 2f.. or just save up for a LS? (whatever way, new or reman, not a used one, brother has had bad luck that way).

What are my options/chances? Is it completely effed up? Is it so effed up I can't make it worse and might as well put some marvel mystery oil in and try running it?
Or can it actually be resurrected?

Thanks,

E-

Last edited:
If the engine stopped turning its probably bad news. Only sure fire way to tell is to take it to a machine shop to see what they can do. I dont want to sprinkle any false hope here and just let you know its probably toasted.

Certainly wont hurt anything to pull it out open it up and take a look - gunna have to take it out anyways if youre gunna swap it! sucks but sometimes the only way to learn is the hard way - ask me how i know :)

When you try to turn it over are the plugs installed or removed. You mention in another thread that you have/had a head gasket leak. During this overheat adventure, you could have also further ruptured the head gasket and gotten coolant into the cylinders, effectively hydrolocking the engine. I wouldn't try using the starter, but turn it over "by hand" like you were doing with by pushing the truck with it in gear or get a socket on the crank pulley nut. I don't know that the block will warp, but oil will break down at high temperature an you lose your lubrication. The piston skirts can break and/or the piston walls get scored.

What kind of oil are you using--conventional or synthetic?

Friend, that one *may* be salvageable, but it's a long shot. Strip it, and let the machine shop do their measuring thing with the crank, block, and head.

When you try to turn it over are the plugs installed or removed. You mention in another thread that you have/had a head gasket leak. During this overheat adventure, you could have also further ruptured the head gasket and gotten coolant into the cylinders, effectively hydrolocking the engine. I wouldn't try using the starter, but turn it over "by hand" like you were doing with by pushing the truck with it in gear or get a socket on the crank pulley nut. I don't know that the block will warp, but oil will break down at high temperature an you lose your lubrication. The piston skirts can break and/or the piston walls get scored.

What kind of oil are you using--conventional or synthetic?

Plugs in. I didn't think of hydro lock.
I use synthetic but i hadn't' changed the PO oil yet, he did had a shop do it just before i bought it. It was only it's 2nd real drive. last was to the corner store to fill the tank up.

I’m surprised you were able to cook it that bad. If it was a hydro lock, you would probably bend the connecting rods.

You say it turned "a bit" with the transmission. But then it stopped? Like froze again? Agreed turning by hand would be safer. If it froze again or maybe it never really turned ??? then put some ATF down the plug holes and let it sit to free it up. Once you get it to turn by hand all the way around, the next step would be to pull the plugs out and try turning with the starter again....with some fresh oil dumped down into the cylinders. If you get this far then compression test. If you can only hand turn it part way, you might try pulling the oil pan off to look and see what is going on.

My guess: engine is toast.
Even if you can get it to turn over, you’ll never be able to trust the engine again. Clearances have gone to hell.

Choices:
  1. Pull the engine and take it to a machine shop/engine rebuilding shop and get an estimate.
  2. Swap in another used high mileage (they’re all high mileage) 2F if you can find one.
  3. Swap in a completely different engine.
  4. Sell the cruiser
While the timing might suck, maybe think of this overheating accident as an early prompt to re-engine the cruiser.
Your 2F wasn’t going to last forever anyway.

If it was running and got so hot it stopped turning it’s unlikely it was hydrolock and most likely the pistons expanded so much they couldn’t move in the bores.

If it was running and got so hot it stopped turning it’s unlikely it was hydrolock and most likely the pistons expanded so much they couldn’t move in the bores.
And…you usually have to drive an engine to an extreme level of overheating for this to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom