i did it again ;) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm glad I don't live next to you, your pal's GF or me for that matter
2. Given the recent history, you had to KNOW this was coming, even if you won't acknowledge it.
3. All of you should play nice, and have some respect for each other-and though I don't know Slee or his mad skillz, c'mon y'all, the dude owns a shop that I think just does LC stuff...just a wild ass guess here, but I'd bet he has at least some first-hand experience in this and likely also can provide some valuable insight/commentary.
4. Pretty impressive that you got it done that fast-getting older you for sure can't find the time for such things-enjoy all that spare time while you can.
5. If you flip this one, don't tell anyone...

*snip*Talk to him now and you will get a totally different mind set as what he had when he built that truck. *snip*

Slight hi-jack but what is his mind set now? I'm at the point where my 80 is no longer driven on the street and I'm trying to decide if I should take it to the next level... (My body is already beat... No saving that!)

I think this shows his current mind set :) Sorry for hijack
ben.jpg

1. I'm glad I don't live next to you, your pal's GF or me for that matter
2. Given the recent history, you had to KNOW this was coming, even if you won't acknowledge it.
3. All of you should play nice, and have some respect for each other-and though I don't know Slee or his mad skillz, c'mon y'all, the dude owns a shop that I think just does LC stuff...just a wild ass guess here, but I'd bet he has at least some first-hand experience in this and likely also can provide some valuable insight/commentary.
4. Pretty impressive that you got it done that fast-getting older you for sure can't find the time for such things-enjoy all that spare time while you can.
5. If you flip this one, don't tell anyone...

lol well we did it at my gfs place her parents are out of town for 2.5 weeks and said we have free rain of there LARGE driveway and tools which was awsome. Her parents already hate the neighbors do to them being loud and crazy all the time so they dont mind if we dish out some pay back lol. yea i can see what people mean now do to the examples given such as no build or tech info and lack of pictures and the history with a previous roll over. Everyone learns from there mistake (most of the time lol) so thats why we changed a few things about the 3 link from what was done last time. how it attaches to the axle is completely different. I understand slee is there own fab shop. We too practically live at Ruff Stuff Fabrication and know everyone there very well. So they help us out all the time including advice. One guy that works there dedicates everything he does to fj80s and has been doing it for years so were not "new" to the 80 scene. Were fast cause like i stated before we (js93cruiser and i have been building trucks for 6 six years. Everything from toyotas, jeeps, fords, chevys, suzukis, dodges and more. And not off and on for 6 years i mean almost EVERY single day were doing something. We do all our own fab work and even re-gearing not just differentials but transfercases as well. We do the whole spectrum as well as motor rebuilding including the machine work. We may be young but were good at we do :) and im not trying to be defensive just sharing a bit of personal info. Sorry i came off kinda hot its just we get taken for granted very often do to our age and it gets frusterating and we end up taking it out on the wrong people ya know?

NOT trying to be an ass here but with what you just stated, How is it possible that you didn't know to use lock or stop nuts??????????? Just say'in....

NOT trying to be an ass here but with what you just stated, How is it possible that you didn't know to use lock or stop nuts??????????? Just say'in....

I cannot t say clearly, not me that made such a decision, but we all screw up here and there, some bigger than other errors. Give the dude a little slack, he screwed up BIG TIME, I don't think anyone needs to rub it in any more...jus sayin as well.

The speed impresses me in that it's just hard to find time/energy to do stuff like this when you have life going on...but at 21, you guys have a lot different life things going on then us 30s and 40s and older guys do on a given weekend. But hats off for banging it out! I don't think this one will flip over for at least a year or two ;)

but at 21, you guys have a lot different life things going on then us 30s and 40s and older guys do on a given weekend. But hats off for banging it out! I don't think this one will flip over for at least a year or two ;)

yeah, it is nice not being tied down like you old farts. :crybaby:

(23 here)
:flipoff2:

i didnt use a lock nut because it was late and no other place was open except lowes, they suck and didnt have them in stock for some reason...

i didnt use a lock nut because it was late and no other place was open except lowes, they suck and didnt have them in stock for some reason...

lol sorry this was me talking it was logged into tribals account

I cannot t say clearly, not me that made such a decision, but we all screw up here and there, some bigger than other errors. Give the dude a little slack, he screwed up BIG TIME, I don't think anyone needs to rub it in any more...jus sayin as well.

But didn't your read - despite their age (which I didn't even know, nor care about) They're freak'n good at what they do. And since they're saying it on the internet, it must be true. They're so good that they made a stupid mistake that could have killed them or someone else.

That said, this is a very techinically estute and demanding forum. There are alot of vendors, and mechanics and engineers that are going to look at any out of the norm modification and analys it to death. It's a harder crowd than some other forums for sure - from a proof stand point.

As far as the link ends being put sideways - since that's not the usual configuration, of course you're going to get questioned on it. Did you consider that rod ends like that have different strength capabilities perpendicular to the bolt mounting than they do parallel? That's the level of detail the people on this forum look for on mods like this. It's definately a higher standard.

That said - you ever gonna share your geometry and how you calculated where your links needed to be?

That said - you ever gonna share your geometry and how you calculated where your links needed to be?

He did it in 6 hours. My guess is that the calculations consisted of "'bout there looks good!" :hillbilly:

So when's this experiment headed out to the Rubicon :steer:?

I love how some people cant drop a topic when its been done. Get over it a mistake was made thats why you learn. Hes alive and no one else is hurt so there is no what ifs. The same mistake wont happen twice. Just wanted to point out a little bit of info too and this is not defending us in any way but you know factory bolts for your radius arm are anything else on the truck are NOT locking nuts... any ways thanks to everyone else who can carry on another topic. Were hopin to get the lexus out to the rubicon for my bday trip to the rubicon. aug 27-29th. js92cruiser is having difficulties with getting the time off of work though so we will see. Oh and we will post the 3 link info as soon as we can. were a but tied up at the moment.

Just wanted to point out a little bit of info too and this is not defending us in any way but you know factory bolts for your radius arm are anything else on the truck are NOT locking nuts....

I don't know about the control arms, but locking nuts are used on the shock mounts as well as all the ball joint connections (tie rod ends). The ball joints use castle nuts w/ cotter pin but they serve the same purpose.

I don't know about the control arms, but locking nuts are used on the shock mounts as well as all the ball joint connections (tie rod ends). The ball joints use castle nuts w/ cotter pin but they serve the same purpose.

well yea every single veichile with steering uses tapered tie rod ends with a castle and cotter pin. im not talking about steering im talking about the radius arms

but you know factory bolts for your radius arm are anything else on the truck are NOT locking nuts

Actually they are. The nuts on the control arms on the axle side have small locking "tabs" on them that lock them in place. You hold the nut, tighten the bolt. The tab cuts into the metal and locks in it place. On the bolt that is on the frame side of the control arm, the serations / tabs are on the flange of the bolt head.

Examine the factory from nuts and the rear bolts and you will see the serrations on the inside of the flanges.

If you check the flanges then you will see that. That is one of the reasons I have never seen a 80 series bolt come loose or back off, unless the serrations/tabs have been destroyed.

The 4 nuts on the axle side of the radius arm have 4 locking "teeth" that secure the nut to the bracket on the axle. IIRC the 2 frame side bolts have the same feature. I've never touched the rear link hardware, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had the same feature. Even if they didn't, there are 4 links and it is the rear axle so it is less likely (but not impossible) to cause a roll.

Edit: What Christo said

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom