I coat of Monstaliner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I am about to monstaline the entire body of my lx minus the roof and the front bumper... I could only afford 1 gallon of black liner. I am planning on just doing 1 coat over my entire rig. Anything I should know before hand? I have read a bunch of threads on it and looks as though most people do 2 coats but some have just done one... Please tell me I'll be ok with just one coat! Thanks guys :)

One coat won't provide complete coverage and will look like s***. You can get two coats (barely) out of one gallon going up to the line I used.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408711541.858727.jpg

Listen to the posters above. You must apply two coats. it won't get full coverage on one pass.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. My truck is already black so I am going to do all the body except the roof, bumpers, and entire rear of the truck. It seems that will only be a few more square feet then what DudeAbides covered. I called monstaliner and they said if I don't have enough for two coats everywhere I can always scuff up the areas with one coat and re-coat at a later time. The other question I have is what kind of roll pattern should I maintain on the hood. Horizontal or vertical strokes if you are outside the trucking facing the front? Thanks!

Listen to those who have done it:

Prep work is a pita, just save $ until you can afford the 2 gal kit.

My entire rig is murdered out in black, textured Durabak, which is the second rig I've done. Here are my observations / experience:
  • Go for UV protection, if available. This was a big issue, as I lived at nearly 8,000 ft of elevation.
  • If you are at high altitude, beware that when you open the can, you'll see fine bubbles in the paint. I let the can sit for awhile until it settled out.
  • Consider black if you don't want to fuss with looking pretty.
  • I jokingly tell people my rig is big, fat, and will give you a rash because I used the textured liners versus the smooth because I had issues with the smooth liner forming drip lines.
  • I went through 1.5 cans to apply 4 coats over the entire rig using the rollers. It was quite inexpensive.
  • The #1 challenge is proper prepping of the rig's skin- you must sand it down, use the recommended primer, and use the xylene wipe down after. I did screw this process up and did not do exactly what was recommended, which resulted in bubbling of entire panels that required a re-do.
  • Black textured look gives you a "Batman" look- the rig does not reflect light and blends in the shadows. To the point where I felt the need to go with LED lights because people were changing lanes on me on the highway and pulling out in front of me at dusk. I tend to use my headlights more than I'm used to for safety reasons.
  • I have found that 4 coats provides robust protection for my rig, and when properly applied, it takes the weight of the rig scraping across hard rock to penetrate the skin- but not sandstone in Moab, where it is remarkably resistant.
  • For those minor scrapes (and even major ones), I've had tremendous success in the touch up process.

^^^^Durabak and Monstaliner is 2 completely different things. Don't follow ^^^^ that advise!!!

Also, 1 coat isn't enough.

Sure, different products. You have a choice...!

And I don't believe they are THAT different.

I used monstaliner on an offroad trailer prototype i made and needed more to get full coverage. The second cans that came were from a different batch and don't match at all. Be careful about thinking that you will just be able to recoat the light areas at a later date. I can tell you from experience that it will look like s***e. I was using the Black monstaliner.

Just my 2cents.

He doesn't have a choice as he already bought the product. I think the question is why even do it? Even without seeing the truck I'm sure it will look much worse after your application. I realize you already have your mind made up (even before posting) but save yourself the time and money and return the product or wait until it can be done properly. This is advice from a guy too broke to be cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom