HZJ77 Front Rotor Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched but couldn't find a definitive answer (as usual with this model).

I'm all set to replace the front discs and pads, but it appears I need to disassemble the whole hub to get it off. What I'm wondering is if I need more parts than just the pads and rotors to begin this job. Am I going to need new wheel bearings/seals, etc., or will I be able to stick to just pulling it off, replacing the rotor and putting it back together?

The closest I've been able to find to the process is via a BJ73 chassis repair manual.

You will ,at the very least, want to replace the seals while you have it off. Unless they have been damaged in some way,(like filled with water) the bearings are likely fine and can be cleaned and repacked. I personally would just replace them while I was in there however since you don't know the trucks history over the last 25 or so years. And, you will have the truck apart before you can see the bearing to assess their condition. So, if they are bad, you will be waiting until new ones arrive.
Some people replace the wheel studs while they have it apart. The old ones will need pressed out and pressed into the new rotor.

Last edited:
Searched but couldn't find a definitive answer (as usual with this model).

I'm all set to replace the front discs and pads, but it appears I need to disassemble the whole hub to get it off. What I'm wondering is if I need more parts than just the pads and rotors to begin this job. Am I going to need new wheel bearings/seals, etc., or will I be able to stick to just pulling it off, replacing the rotor and putting it back together?

The closest I've been able to find to the process is via a BJ73 chassis repair manual.

Do you still have automatic front locking hubs or do you have manual hubs that you go out and turn?

If the former, this would also be a good time to sh!tcan the system and convert to the manual hubs-- unless you really want the automatic hubs which are a pain in the butt to service in the long run....

Just my .02

Good point. If you do have the Auto hubs and do want to keep them, it's a good time to replace the contact rings, screws that hold them in, and replace the dielectric grease in them. The old grease gets hard and makes a touchy system even worse.
Beno is right, they are not nearly as dependable a setup as manual hubs. But, can be made to work correctly with some care while servicing them.

Sounds good. The auto hubs have worked flawlessly so far, and I don’t wheel much these days, so I’d prefer to keep them auto. I’ll just get the full rebuild kit from cruiseroutfitters.

Incidentally, I was going to do the rear discs too, and no one stocks them. I cross referenced them and it seemed like post ‘93 fj80 discs should be a straight swap, but they seem to be larger than what’s in there. Haven’t measured, but visually it looks like no way they’re the same size. Both outer diameter and for sure the inner drum diameter are larger. Anyone know for sure what else is compatible with the 77 rear discs?

Anyone know for sure what else is compatible with the 77 rear discs?

The part number 42431-60180 is common to all the 90-99 7* series rear discs.
You could try DBA USA. http://www.dbausa.com/where-to-buy/ Disc Brake Australia make discs for all landcruisers in 3 different grades. I had them on my last 75 series with their quality pads and they were very good .
They dont have 7* series parts on the US site, maybe they can order them.

DBAs part number for a rear disc HZJ75 DBA 787

DBA also have the basic dimensions for each disc and drum. I saw that the 80 series were 336mm diameter vs 312mm for the 7* series
DBA PART FINDER

Last edited:
The bearings can last the life of the vehicle if properly serviced.

I don’t know about that, they would have to be serviced regularly for it’s life for sure. The chances of that are pretty slim but it is possible with the right owner for its whole life.

Determine bearing condition by the race. So always look closely at the race before anything else.

Cheers

Im not saying they will all last, but there are plenty around with 400000-500000 klms on the originals, thats about the lifespan of most landcruisers. Im on my 4th cruiser and they all had the original bearings just short of 300000klms.
Thats like twice the life of most vehicles being manufactured currently.

Just my .02

<Shower thoughts> Ever wonder why when you give advice its 2 cents, but asking for advice, its "a penny for your thoughts"? </shower thoughts> We be some cheap bastids, saving pennys where we can

Do you still have automatic front locking hubs or do you have manual hubs that you go out and turn?

If the former, this would also be a good time to sh!tcan the system and convert to the manual hubs-- unless you really want the automatic hubs which are a pain in the butt to service in the long run....

Just my .02
This is good advice ^^^^^

Sounds good. The auto hubs have worked flawlessly so far, and I don’t wheel much these days, so I’d prefer to keep them auto. I’ll just get the full rebuild kit from cruiseroutfitters.

Incidentally, I was going to do the rear discs too, and no one stocks them. I cross referenced them and it seemed like post ‘93 fj80 discs should be a straight swap, but they seem to be larger than what’s in there. Haven’t measured, but visually it looks like no way they’re the same size. Both outer diameter and for sure the inner drum diameter are larger. Anyone know for sure what else is compatible with the 77 rear discs?

We stock the rear discs too. You may need to call and ask for me as Bryce/Chris might not have them in their guide, I may have neglected to add them :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom