Hzj73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
First time posting but I’ve got a few questions about the hzj73.
I’m looking at a 1991 model with the a440f tranny in it, only done 200xxx.
firstly, does the 1hz perform better in the lighter 73, in comparison to an 80 or 105? Also, how does the a440f perform in such configuration? I’ve heard they’re strong boxes as long as they’re properly maintained. Is there anything to look for in particular?
finally, I’m hoping to check out the wagon in a couple of weeks, are they any pointers or things to specifically check out?
Cheers (I’m sure there will be more questions in the future)

Hi @NZspearo im no expert but can talk a little from experience.

Apart from the classic inspection (brakes, fuel tank, under carriage rust)

Check for rust in the windshield frame, even if it has been replaced, under the hinges the body might be all rotted.
Check electrical well, being a 24v car, sometimes you might find random fuse boxes for the drop down conversion for accessories and this might not be well connected.
Check the 4x4 solenoids, engage High and Low

I daily drive mine with 250k + , 1HZ is strong as a rock if the fuel pump is properly adjusted to your drive style. I can do 70mph on the highway at 3k rpm.
It can easily pull trailers around. and you can always turbo it if you want to get more.

Mine is manual so cant help you on the tranny.

GL with purchase and welcome to the crew.

i would strongly suggest adding a tranny cooler, heat is the killer of slush boxes. 1hz is OK for the troopy (heavy), not a speed demon, but ok, the lighter 73 would be be better, but i chose to turbo mine, and its a night and day difference.

As above, under carpets, foot well, etc etc. All can be used to haggle on price.Take a peak at the fluids, coolant and at to make sure they look alright, obviously start and look for smoke.

Hope it works out for you

Thanks for the reply and the advice guys, ill take it onboard.
Andrew, does yours have the manual or auto box? And how did you go buy sourcing the turbo + kit... etc.

cheers.

does the 1hz perform better in the lighter 73, in comparison to an 80 or 105?

Yes, it can be even nippy if you have 31 inch tyres. I had a rebuilt 1HZ and rebuilt pump which was great after it was run in.
The a440f is a HP thief but I would still buy one in a HZJ73 at the right price. Its all about the body condition on a 7*

Running in is what you do with new motor to get all the rough edges off the moving parts. You can usually feel a slight surge in power after a few 1000klms with a corresponding drop in engine heat.

I drove one with an auto and it really kills the performance. I am also really anti-slush box so take what I say with that in mind, but a 1HZ with a 5 speed is enough to do whatever you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom