Hydro Assist (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thing to consider with Hydro assist on a 80
The power steering pump on a 80 is gear driven of the block, so theres no bolt on high volume pump available.
There has been people on the forum that have tried to modify the stock pump with out great success.
Since the stock pump doesn't put out that much volume it's best to stay with 1.5" ram
If you run the AC it well kick the idle up enough to almost eliminate the stalling at low speeds.
The steering is going to be harder with Hydro assist on a 80, but you can turn no matter how big the rock are ;)

Google is your friend, all the info is readily available at your finger tip.
The is no reason for this total debauchery I tell you :p

Where all this questionable work, The Reg look super clean and built with quality parts.
Yes the Hydro is a mess, the skid plate is obviously part of the mess.
What he has is Hydro assist, why would you suggest full hydro on a street driven Truck ?
The full hydro you reference is on the old Short Bus that Christo over at See built years ago as a highly modified purpose built off road rock crawler.
Lastly you don't need a jeep to hard core rock crawl.
View attachment 2857945

2E6BDB30-4421-4D47-9E74-0AE82C2CDA59.jpeg

40647044-9828-49F0-A47E-C4484CE8D7DA.jpeg

41C50564-D7B9-4FD8-9E71-EEDDABA708FD.jpeg

A579E74A-2802-4488-9298-C31593912F2C.jpeg

E7215E33-13E1-441D-8CC8-D3E62F6D16C1.jpeg

C8C3757A-0B25-40AE-A4BA-6940FADD520B.jpeg

84B2CD19-645C-4F30-BDEB-94FAF8EFA97A.jpeg

46F40673-DCF8-4A0B-8364-901D5990AA63.jpeg

DD8E9EE7-C626-4D45-8CF8-F44CFC5E7AEF.jpeg

A1E01CFC-90AF-4EA0-B192-36E505715106.jpeg

Where all this questionable work, The Reg look super clean and built with quality parts.
Yes the Hydro is a mess, the skid plate is obviously part of the mess.
What he has is Hydro assist, why would you suggest full hydro on a street driven Truck ?
The full hydro you reference is on the old Short Bus that Christo over at See built years ago as a highly modified purpose built off road rock crawler.
Lastly you don't need a jeep to hard core rock crawl.
View attachment 2857945
Indeed they can crawl! I am mistaken and ill informed on my hydro comments.
The questionable work however:

No fuses on a large gauge 2nd battery cable coming off the battery and winch wire, and accessory wire(I see one fuse back on the firewall)
Wrong battery in 2nd battery spot
No fuses on wires coming off second battery
Coil wire strained
Missing ground wire from head to cowl
Excellent windshield washer line routing to hood.

pedantic stuff:
Radiator upper hose clamp will be difficult to remove with incorrect orientation
valve cover replaced, fipg used where unnecessary
25 year old heater hoses on firewall

Indeed they can crawl! I am mistaken and ill informed on my hydro comments.
The questionable work however:

No fuses on a large gauge 2nd battery cable coming off the battery and winch wire, and accessory wire(I see one fuse back on the firewall)
Wrong battery in 2nd battery spot
No fuses on wires coming off second battery
Coil wire strained
Missing ground wire from head to cowl
Excellent windshield washer line routing to hood.

pedantic stuff:
Radiator upper hose clamp will be difficult to remove with incorrect orientation
valve cover replaced, fipg used where unnecessary
25 year old heater hoses on firewall
Fair enough
There some things that aren't the cleanest.
I did not spend a lot of time looking at the under the hood pik.
For a 25 year old reg it's really clean

1) You don't use a fuse on a winch cable, (just like a starter cable no fuse) the last thing you want is the fuse to blow during a critical recovery ;)
2) He's running his batteries in parallel, so there no need for a fuse on that cable either.

Post a Picture of your engine bay for us to see :p

Fair enough
There some things that aren't the cleanest.
I did not spend a lot of time looking at the under the hood pik.
For a 25 year old reg it's really clean

1) You don't use a fuse on a winch cable, (just like a starter cable no fuse) the last thing you want is the fuse to blow during a critical recovery ;)
2) He's running his batteries in parallel, so there no need for a fuse on that cable either.

Post a Picture of your engine bay for us to see :p
Honestly Broski,

Guys (or ladies for that matter) like Njck22 do not bother me in the slightest. It’s like he’s trying to come across as “I mean we’ll and my intentions are good” but his critique of my rig has everything to do with him and the attention that it brings to him. He’s a “Everyone look at me!” kind of fella. I’ve got a good solid truck and I know it.

I came here looking for some help and that’s exactly what I got from fellas like you, @baldilocks , @2fpower, @Road Apple to name a few.

So, if I have a washer fluid line that has come loose and it appears that it’s “routing” looks bad and that the least of my worries then I’ll feel pretty confident on the trails or off the grid.

With the photos that were shared of @baldilocks and @Broski rigs I feel I have a good path along with a friend of mine to get my Hydro assist corrected. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom