How you can clean your rusty fuel tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

slow95z

Always parting 80s
Threads
So I posted something last weekend and had a bunch of people ask me about it so I thought I would make a little how to on cleaning out a fuel tank that has been sitting for years.

With our tanks being metal they will rust if you don't keep them full of fuel. Air gets in and the water vapor will cause it to rust. Normally it's very slow over time and the filter takes care of it but if you let the vehicle sit for years it can become covered in rust.

I use the electrolysis method as it uses no expensive chemicals and pretty much anyone can do it at home with very minimal effort. Sure there are faster ways using chemicals but this is cheap and easy.

You will need some arm and hammer washing powder, some old metal rods and an old style battery charger. If you only have one of the new fancy battery chargers then you can still do this by taking the battery from the truck and using it with the charger keeping the battery topped off.

PXL_20230211_172728277.jpg
PXL_20230212_140323275.jpg

Here are some pictures of the tank and the setup. You will connect the negative side to the tank, the positive side to the piece of metal, fill the tank with water and washing powder. The positively charged rod cannot make contact with the tank, it needs to be in the water without touching the actual tank. I used a furniture clamp with rubber ends to hold it and isolate it.

Just let it slowly work it's magic and it will boil the rust off and collect it to the metal. You will need to change out the metal several times (think 50+) if you tank is as nasty as this one.

When you pull the rod out a few hours later it will be covered, just swap it out and then when the rust covered one is dry grind the rust off and be ready to swap them back. After a few days you will have a tank ready to go back in. i tend to use a drink can with the top cut off to skim the top of the water when i change the rod. the rust floating on top can be collected that way and then just top the water back off as needed.

PXL_20230212_135413580.jpg
PXL_20230212_140827353.jpg

I will post updates as this goes and give everyone an idea of how long they can expect a process like this to take.i am not checking the rods as often as i should so i expect a week or longer.

Last edited:
Thats awesome, can you do this while still in the truck?
i would think so. just make sure you unhook the battery. the process lets of hydrogen gas so you would want to make sure you leave the windows down and when you remove the rod its super nasty. would want to have some plastic down to keep the carpet from getting covered in rust.

I would think rinse a couple of times beforehand, as you would not want fumes, with the risk of sparks from the charger.

Do you plan to electroplate (?zinc) the tank internally once the rust is removed?

Do you plan to electroplate (?zinc) the tank internally once the rust is removed?
Nope, just put gas in it and ride. I forgot to post the after pics but it's already back in the truck and running just fine.

The sending unit is bad and the fuel gauge doesn't move so I will be back in there this weekend to replace that and will snap a follow up picture

Interesting! Fellow next door chucked bolts and nuts in his unimog fuel tank and rolled it round and round. rinsed and rinsed, rolled and rolled..

Another neigbour said good radiator shops can re tin the lining, not sure of that.

Was also looking at the kbs fuel tank liner as it has the most chemical resistance compared to any other, including veg oil.

Interesting! Fellow next door chucked bolts and nuts in his unimog fuel tank and rolled it round and round. rinsed and rinsed, rolled and rolled..

Another neigbour said good radiator shops can re tin the lining, not sure of that.

Was also looking at the kbs fuel tank liner as it has the most chemical resistance compared to any other, including veg oil.
I would never do any coating to the interior of a fuel tank. Only electroplating if anything.

If it is an active vehicle that gets regularly filled and emptied then corrosion isn't a problem due to the fuel.

Well there are so many baffles in the tank you can't really do nuts and bolts.

The truck already has a Hummer fuel filter setup on it so it will catch any rust before the factory one does and it's one hell of a filter that can be serviced very quickly.

I have been very tentatively researching bio diesel but the caustic nature of veg oil makes me most weary of no coating on steel. Kbs is the only one which states veg oil safe. Either that, or stainless the whole way.

Good point upon the baffles, well done.

I just recently discovered some rust in my filler tube from condensation, we have had a good three years of rain. I always keep the tank full but not right up to the filler cap. Would never have noticed at the bowser, but was filling with a jerry on a steep hill, foot and half shorter let me see in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom