How urgent to service birf (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting just an occasional click at full left lock low,speed

Next 1,000 mi? 500? 50? Park it til done?

About 8 mo into going through this new to me 256,000 leaking surging white fang, so far all fluids, new 3 core, all coolant hoses, thermostat, oil pump gasket, heater valve, valve cover gasket, air intake, belts, plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, ujoints and she absolutely purrs and 0 drips.

So was getting to the front end but just enjoying driving her a bit first, the driving which led to now the clicking, just wondering how urgently I should address.

Of the many threads and videos out there on Toyota solid axle,service, also interested in being steered to a best reference one if there are any preferences

Thanks all

Is it leaking diff fluid? If so, do asap. If not, open up square nut on top of knuckle and check grease level. If low squirt grease in till packed. Latter may tithe you. If this does not work, expect a rebuild.

I have driven over 30,000 miles on clicking birfs.

If it's leaking, check oil level more often.
Squirt more grease in the knuckles.

I DD mine a LOT so drive accordingly and don't force it into the clicking noises. If mine are clicking, I'm not out bashing rocks or driving it hard. If it's leaking, I check oil levels every 500 miles.

You definitely don't have to park it.

I'm in Bilt4me's camp. Don't make it click just cuz you know how, start collecting the parts and fix it when you get to it.
You can save a bit of cash by swapping the outer axles across the truck. But if this has been done already, you'll need to put new birfs in.

solid

should have been more specific, do I just service now or does the click mean a flat spot/rebuild w new or a dry area

Got to rebuild at some point. But a good project for when there's salt on the road and and it's parked anyway

Don't like the sound and try to avoid it but inevitably there's a full left moment while parking
No rocks for now

Gracias todanos (yeah I made that up but learning Spanish w my 8th grader and it follows the rules, if it's not a word it should be)

solid

should have been more specific, do I just service now or does the click mean a flat spot/rebuild w new or a dry area

Got to rebuild at some point. But a good project for when there's salt on the road and and it's parked anyway

Don't like the sound and try to avoid it but inevitably there's a full left moment while parking
No rocks for now

Gracias todanos (yeah I made that up but learning Spanish w my 8th grader and it follows the rules, if it's not a word it should be)
It means replace the axles.

Do a full front rebuild, so during a time you're not driving it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom