How to Shift 3 speed on the Column (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sooooo Yeeaaaah.

I have never driven my 40 more than around the block but I finally got it driving and running ok so I took her for a spin around the big block. A couple of weeks ago I thought I had found second gear but now I don't really remember.

When I took it out yesterday all I could find was 1st N and Reverse. I could not find 2nd or 3rd to save my life.

Note: I did have it in 4 Hi when trying to shift with hubs locked. Not sure why that would make a difference but just thought I would note it. Of course never tried it in 4 lo.

Any ideas on what is going on here. Obviously I have the range in the shifter to find N and Reverse no problem.

I have never driven a column shifted car so maybe I'm just missing something.

Normally, Reverse is back and up. 1st is back (toward you) and down, 2nd is forward (towards the dash) and up, 3rd is forward and down. However, if your shift linkage is sloppy, they can be difficult to find.

Good luck! :cheers:

Holy word I can't say.

That may be my problem :)

I figured it was simply bring the lever down and up. I wondered why there was so little distance between the N and 1st.

I am going through my head right now trying to figure out if what you say really exists and I vaguely remember there being some paths (voids) there. I will have to play around with it.

Any other hints out there for a column virgin?

That is pretty funny. Thanks for the explanation. I could not find it on my search. I guess it was to simple a question.

1st and reverse are closest to you. After this, you can master the quick shift into first (which isn't synchroed). ;)
coolfj40_1993_220258350.jpg

Well it was a good effort :) I wouldn't even know how to go about drawing something like that.

You would think they would have a pretty diagram like a standard H for the floor shifters.

1st and reverse are closest to you. After this, you can master the quick shift into first (which isn't synchroed). ;)

It is all starting to come together now :doh:

Between the explanation and the picture I think I should be able to make some magic happen.

I found out about the non-synchroed shifter. GRRIINND.

Thanks for the help and I will update my mastery tomorrow evening.

Thank you for the picture.

It is all starting to come together now :doh:

Between the explanation and the picture I think I should be able to make some magic happen.

I found out about the non-synchroed shifter. GRRIINND.

Thanks for the help and I will update my mastery tomorrow evening.

Thank you for the picture.

No problem. To keep from grinding you need to come to a complete stop and then downshift quickly from 2nd or 3rd to 1st. No grinding. Also, you can avoid a lot of grinding by shifting gently and letting the transmission go into gear on its own terms. Have fun! :beer:

On all the "3 on the trees" I 've driven they tend to get it hung up between 1st and 2nd. What I found that worked when shifting from 1st to 2nd was to go up towards R then down a little to N, then out and up. Works every time. Hope that helps.

double clutch. clutch in to shift out of gear, then pump and when in again shift into gear. remmeber...old straight cut gears are'nt as friendly as the newer stuff. ;)

I have a 3 speed trany for sale if you wanna buy it for a spare.....

I bet it was comical to be driving behind you that day! Hope you get it figured out.

Gresham,

Not to far away from the real home.

Luckily no body was behind me. I have just driven it around the sub division. I'm waiting on my registration to arrive in the mail from the mother land (Oregon) Should be here today. I might be able to take her to the trails up the road.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I can figure it out now. I will let you all know if I can't.

On the non-synchro you need to anticipate where all the gears will be (rpm wise)after the shift and try to get everything there during your shift so they slide together. That is the heart of double clutching. Downshifting is the hardest.... So, you're in second going up a hill and you are powering out but dont want to come to a complete stop and start all over again. You depress clutch, shift into neutral, declutch and rev the engine to what it will sound like when you are on that hill in first, then quickly depress clutch and drop it into first before your engine loses rpms. Upshifting, let the rpms die down some after your rev in first. Anticipate the lower second gear rpms and complete the shift as the rpms drop. I see this is a pretty hard thing to explain in words. Ive had perhaps 10 old ford trucks with 4 sp crashboxes with no synchros in any gear over the last 35 years. Most were my dd. So, I know how to do it, but I'm really hoping I explained it right. None of my friends has ever remarked, 'he's a man of few words'......duh

On the non-synchro you need to anticipate where all the gears will be (rpm wise)after the shift and try to get everything there during your shift so they slide together. That is the heart of double clutching. Downshifting is the hardest.... So, you're in second going up a hill and you are powering out but dont want to come to a complete stop and start all over again. You depress clutch, shift into neutral, declutch and rev the engine to what it will sound like when you are on that hill in first, then quickly depress clutch and drop it into first before your engine loses rpms. Upshifting, let the rpms die down some after your rev in first. Anticipate the lower second gear rpms and complete the shift as the rpms drop. I see this is a pretty hard thing to explain in words. Ive had perhaps 10 old ford trucks with 4 sp crashboxes with no synchros in any gear over the last 35 years. Most were my dd. So, I know how to do it, but I'm really hoping I explained it right. None of my friends has ever remarked, 'he's a man of few words'......duh

Yeah, what he said...or convert it to a floor shifter.

Like that somehow takes care of the lack of syncros or worn shift forks.

No, but it takes care of the learning how to shift a column shifter, which is what I thought his original question was.

Note: I did have it in 4 Hi when trying to shift with hubs locked. Not sure why that would make a difference but just thought I would note it. Of course never tried it in 4 lo.

Are you driving on pavement with the hubs locked? I've never done this . My understanding is that it can bind up the transfercase.

No, but it takes care of the learning how to shift a column shifter, which is what I thought his original question was.

True. There's an art to that. :D

Might want to disengage the hubs and take her out of 4WD. You will turn easier and you won't break stuff :D

:wrench:Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom