How to secure the cable against vandalism? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched but couldn't find anything.

I am about to purchase my first winch and am concerned about someone pulling out the cable and attaching it to something. The only "solution" I have read about that might prevent this, or at least slow down someone, is to wrap the spool with a locking cable. This neither sounds practical in terms of the space to do so or very secure.

I am buying a Warn XD9000, maybe it has a feature that prevents this or are there other solutions?

I attach the hook to a recovery point and put some tension on it. I can't release the clutch to save my life, so I can't see anyone getting it loose. I do it so the whole winch doesn't disappear. I don't know if this works with all winches, mine's a Ramsey. I'd assume that's a safety thing, if not the simple mechanics of the winch- you wouldn't want someone to release the drum if there were tension on it in a recovery situation.

I have 2 XD9000i and I have never even thought about locking the cable. I was concerned about someone stealing my winchs off my vehicles. I have security kits on both winches and security bolts on the mounting plates. I guess that some idiot could do as you say but I just havent ever heard of such incidents. I do not leave tension on my steel cable end. Leaving tension on it will fatigue the steel cable that circles around the hook and potentially cause a premature breakage. Most winch companys recomend storing with just getting the cable snug without tension. I have rope on my other 2 winches so I don't have to worry about fatigue as much on them. If you are really concerned run a padlock through the cable hole on your hook and lock it to someplace on the front of your vehicle. If you have to wield a recovery point on your bumper or frame and lock the cable to it.

I searched but couldn't find anything.

I am about to purchase my first winch and am concerned about someone pulling out the cable and attaching it to something. The only "solution" I have read about that might prevent this, or at least slow down someone, is to wrap the spool with a locking cable. This neither sounds practical in terms of the space to do so or very secure.

I am buying a Warn XD9000, maybe it has a feature that prevents this or are there other solutions?

Same as spike, just keep some tension on the cable. It would take real dedication and effort to release it.

I've stored my winch cable that way for years...and have noticed no "fatigue" to be concerned about.

I attach the hook to a recovery point and put some tension on it. I can't release the clutch to save my life, so I can't see anyone getting it loose. I do it so the whole winch doesn't disappear. I don't know if this works with all winches, mine's a Ramsey. I'd assume that's a safety thing, if not the simple mechanics of the winch- you wouldn't want someone to release the drum if there were tension on it in a recovery situation.

X3. I just put enough tension on it to keep cable from unraveling on spool. This is too tight for someone to pull hook off without releasing clutch. I figure most morons wouldn't understand how to work the winch, and those folks that do, would have enough respect to leave it alone.

Spike, do you tighten it down so tight that you can't release your clutch or does your winch just have a super stiff clutch lever? I've got a Ramsey, also (REP 8000).

Spike, do you tighten it down so tight that you can't release your clutch or does your winch just have a super stiff clutch lever? I've got a Ramsey, also (REP 8000).

Clutch lever is pretty easy with no tension on the cable. I put a little tension on it, more than 'snug'. I tried to release it, it's not happening.

Clutch lever is pretty easy with no tension on the cable. I put a little tension on it, more than 'snug'. I tried to release it, it's not happening.

Yeah, that's the way mine works, too. Don't know if they all work like that or if it's just a Ramsey thing. Nice to know, though. Might help OP if his will work like that.

slight tension on the cable , you can't put my winch into freespool with tension on it .

though i do that just to keep the cable tight , not because i fear vandalizim .i always do a walk around anyway . i can't even fathom some one doing that with my winch , they would get tired after they pulled it out around 3 feet and give up .

if you put tension on the cable, just be double sure you hit the correct spool out button when you get started or something might get bent...

When I had the winch mounted in my front bumper, I was worried when I replaced the steel with synthetic...but I just used the tension method as well...

I did screw with a buddy's winch on his yahama side-by-side once....he parked it pretty close to some concrete barricades, so me and another buddy pulled the winch cable out and wrapped it around the barricade. We didn't leave much slack. You should have seen the look on his face when he couldn't pull away from the barricade...LOL I think he's still waiting for me to forget to tension the cable on my winch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom