How to run power to trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just got a Overland Sherpa Trailer and I want to hook up a propane system and 12V & 120V system. Need Ideas!!! I am new to the trailer seen so I would like to see any mods you have done to your trailers.

Do you mean "Outlander Sherpa" trailer? Maybe you could post a veiw pictures to explain location, needs, battery size, shore power plug, converter, etc., etc.

Pat

I use a marine charger to keep two deep cycle batteries topped off and a 400 watt inverter for 120. The charger is able to charge the batteries and keep the inverter going when plugged in at the camp ground. Like Titan said, some more details might get some better help.

Once digging through a pile of old car crap, I ran across a NOS auxiliary batter charger that looked to be from the 60's or 70's. It was big, and used points to regulate charge to a trailer battery from the engine battery when the engine was running.

I've never seen a modern solid state version, but I'm sure they exist. I suppose you could use a typical battery isolator or a heavy duty diode. Would require some reasonably heavy cables to be run to the trailer to handle full charge current if the trailer battery was significantly discharged.

I got a screaming deal on a 400 watt inverter at Costco a number of years ago. They seem to have all sizes of inverters pretty often these days. I would consider 400watts the minimum and probably try and get at least 1000w.

What do you mean by propane "system"?

How to run a power to a trailer? Do you mean from the vehicle to the trailer? If so, then I do the following: a 7pin RV plug is utilized and this allows me to use two of the seven pins for:

- trailer battery charge from vehicle electrical system
- reverse light wire - this comes hot when the vehicle reverse lights are on

The remaining five pins are for electric brakes and the usual lights.

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom