How to remove rear driveshaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can i remove just the rear drivershaft by unbolting the bolts and let it drop or the entire driveshaft from the end of transfer case to the rear where it bolts up to the rear differential... gear oil leaking from the metal looking seal that goes over the rear diff.

Will be marking it so as to preserve original relationship as it may have been balanced in-car at assembly. Removal of pinion flange that the drive shaft bolts to, marking it in relation to pinion so as to preserve its position since it may have more throw.

How many :banana: would this job be...

If you are just doing the pinion seal you can just drop the rear part of the driveshaft. There is a 30MM or 1 3/16 nut holding the flange on. It may be a little hard to get off since you will be trying to turn the rear wheels with it as you try to get it off. No big deal. Then just tap the back of the flange toward the driveshaft to get it to come out of the pinion seal. It is just on the splined pinion shaft. Remove old seal - install new seal - put a very light amount of grease on seal - insert flange - torque etc. If your flange has a groove worn in it, you can try to put the new seal in a little farther, a little less far, or buy a new one. Don't worry about the position of the driveshaft etc. - you are not doing u-joints. One :banana: job. Oh, drain some or all of the diff fluid so it doesn't keep running out.

Bill

Yes, I believe you can just as you described. Once the bolts are out you just need to compress the driveshaft a little and it will fall down on top of you. So you're going to replace the pinion seal? Pretty easy job, just remember to tighten the heck out of the new stake nut after you get your new seal in..

So the seal can be replaced without removing the 3rd member? That would make getting the flange nut off easier. If I recall properly (from the manual), it's held on by hella torque.

Removal of the driveshaft is easy. Setting pinion bearing preload to spec on used bearings is very difficult unless you are going to dissassemble the diff and replace the crush sleeve. You may luck out though. If not you will know when the pinion bearings start to make noise.

Carl

So is it safe to say that i also should replace the pinion bearings, get a new nut, oil seal, oil slinger, spacer....did i leave anything out ???

okay, received the FSM from Cdan and got the steps to replace the pinion seal....so many diff SST's for the job.. Going to nearby parts store to rent the tools or Sears to buy the tools to remove the seals, bearings, races.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom