How to remove entire windshield wiper motor and arms (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This pertains to a 40 series Landcruiser. Having just done this and not having found a coherent post about how to do it (i.e., part here and part there and no part anyhere), I thought this might be helpful for others who knew as little as I did before I started. Adam, from Chula Vista, CA, and owner of multiple HJ47s, helped me out so I give him credit for helping (don't know his mud name).

First photo: windscreen cowling with wiper motor cover shown (but off). Can see the outline where it was on the screen for the last 35 years.
motorcover.jpg
Cover off, revealing the washer motor attached by four screws also (two top ones seen here). Take those off. :) Can let it kind of dangle on the hood/bonnet. The white electric connection has been disconnected from the wires that come ultimately from the fuse box. That connection is out of view.
wipermotor.jpg
Now go to the wiper arm. Here it is as you see it on your 40 series.
wiperarmnormalpositiononscreen.jpg
Flip the cover off and you can see the bolt holding the arm assembly on. Take the bolt off. As with almost everything on the cruiser, use a 10mm wrench. Wiggle/pull the wiper arm off the splined "nipple."
wiperarmboltcovervisible.jpg
Here the bolt's been taken off and the rubber washer. The nut (dirty), metal and rubber washers (painted partly white here against the cowling) are still left to be removed.
wiperarmoffsplinedthingnut&metalwasherstillon.jpg
I'll add the next sequence of photos and process after this.

Last edited:
Now, with the wiper arms and everything off on the front of the windscreen, you're ready to get access to the wiper arm assembly hiding in the cowling. They're hiding behind the two defrost trims in the cab/front of your rig. First, to get access to these, though, you have to take off the dash pad first. So remove the two large black handles and the four? screws holding it on.
Once removed, you'll see the two trims like this one. In this picture, you'll see where there are 3 holes and one plastic cap. Normally, there are four plastic caps but I've removed 3 of them.
defrosttrimhidingwiperarms.jpg
This is a close-up of the one cap. to remove the caps, you have to use something like a nail set to hit down on the middle part (missing here because I've already removed it). Then use a very thin flathead screwdriver or something similar to lift up on the cap to remove it. Three of mine broke but an auto store normally has them. Once all four are removed, slide the defrost trim out.
defrosttrimplasticclipcloseup.jpg
Sliding the two defrost trims out reveals the large horizontal access areas in the back of the cowling where the wiper arm assembly can be seen (already removed and separated here but sitting outside of the cowling how it is). (Don't get distracted by the license plate, etc through the glass. The windscreen is sitting here in my garage up against some things). The "loose" wire you see on the wiper motor attaches to a ground inside the wiper motor cover.
wiperarmsseparated.jpg

Here I show how to separate the two wiper arm sections which were already separated in the previous pic from each other because you can't pull them out with the wiper motor from the front all attached. There's not enough room and you'll bend the second arm section. So you have to detach the one side from the second wiper arm section. I used two flathead screw drivers to apply equal pressure to both sides of the piece you see here that has plastic on the visible side and metal on the other. Push gently and it will pop off the "ball" (cylindric but oval shape)piece of metal that keeps the arm, itself, on the wiper assembly. This will allow you to pull the second part of the wiper arm assembly out the back of the lefthand access hidden by the defrost trim.
howtoseparatewiperarms.jpg

Once all that's done, I knew it might be a while before I get my new windscreen to reassemble and didn't want to rely on my memory of how things went together, so I used a green tie to put these parts on the wiper arm in sequence of how they go back on. Probably not clear in the picture, but the rubber washer (pretty bad shape so will replace it), metal washer, nut, wiper arm, bolt (no cover to the bolt shown) are tied together in that order.
wiperarmpartspostcowling.jpg

I also decided to clean the whole assembly while it was out because 35 years of lubricant hardening and getting as sticky and gunky as ever weren't going to serve the system well. It took about an hour and a half at least to clean 95% of the gunk off. What you see in all these pics are the cleaned version. When I put them back in, I'll relube them with white grease lubrication.
If anyone wants to add to what I've written and shown here, please do.

Last edited:
Its fun when that ball joint pops out of the socket. And you're in the middle of nowhere, it's darker than the inside of a cow, snowing hard and you've only a Bic lighter for light. Its fun getting it back on. Really fun.

very nice!

I stocked up on a few new linkage's last year, not needed them....but nice to have. My buddy keeps trying to find ways to keep his broken linkage working....as he doesn't want to give me $175 ;) (he will next winter)

Its fun when that ball joint pops out of the socket. And you're in the middle of nowhere, it's darker than the inside of a cow, snowing hard and you've only a Bic lighter for light. Its fun getting it back on. Really fun.

Never seen the inside of a cow but I can imagine it's pretty dark, alright. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom