How to put this dist on.? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a weber on my 40 and just got a complete non us dist to put on it. can anyone walk me through the process of installing this new dist system. is it just a matter of swapping it out with the old stuff or what. pics would be awesome as i dont even know which part is which. ballast resistor, etc. thanks

I just recently did this on mine. What year is your 40? If you have a weber, I am assuming you allready pulled most of the emissions equiptment. The non-USA unit is a vacuum advance so you need to run a vacuum linefrom the distributor to the ported vacuum on the weber carbuerator. The other wiring connections should be the same. Point gap is exactly the same as your USA stock dstributor (make sure it is set properly before install, as it will effect your timing if it is off). The non-USA unit is almost identicle to the factory unit, so install is simple. I set the motor to Top Dead Center on cylinder no 1. Loosen the clamp and pulled the old ditributor (make a mental note of how the old distributor was positioned before removal). Remember when installing the new distributor that the beveled gear at the base causes the rotor to turn slightly when putting it in, so turn the rotor back a little so that when it is installed it will be in exactkly the same position as it was when you took the stock unit out. Make sure the distributor is seated all the way to the base (if not you will drop oil pressure and destroy everything when you start it ;) ). Snug the clamp down and start the car.. if everything goes as planned it should run well enough to time the motor as normal! Good luck! You will be pleased by the way the non-usa distributor works verses your old one. BTW, how do you like your Weber carb? I was thinking about swapping from the Rochester I have right now.

Mike

Thanks for the tips. this along with my instruction from tpi 4x4 should help. my 40 is an 82 with most of the emission still on but not connected. hopefully this dist should give me some more power and will make the truclk run better. yes i am running a weber and i personally dotn have any experience with rochesters. all i know is that if i could go back i would have stayed with a toyota carb. i feel the weber is good but not as good with the 2f as the aisin was. thanks again.

I cannot stress enough -- BE SURE THE DIST IS *FULLY* SEATED DOWN IN THE OIL PUMP -- don't ask how I know... :slap: BTDT folks. :whoops:

If you *really* want to know I'll post it. It's a testament to the quality of "F" engines for sure. ;)

Jody.

yeah post it, tell us how you know, should be good for a giggle

Swapping the dist. seems easy but its the wiring i'm afraid i might screw up. any pointers on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom